RadioBanter

-   -   729 AM @ 2245 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/151333-729-am-%40-2245-a.html)

Gregg May 13th 10 12:00 AM

729 AM @ 2245

Thought I would tune around in nine increments to see if I could hear
something. I have nothing on 710 or 730 right now so it has to be
transantlantic - would that be coorect?

The only thing I can find is this
http://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/fr...nsmissionid=58

I'm going to keep it here for a while to see if it fades away or gets
better. They were playing music about ten minutes ago and now there is
talking and I as I type - back to the music but just not quite audible
enough to make it out.:-I

Gregg May 13th 10 12:16 AM

729 AM @ 2245

The only thing I can find is thishttp://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/frequencyfinder/asp/details.asp?tra...

I'm going to keep it here for a while to see if it fades away or gets
better. They were playing music about ten minutes ago and now there is
talking and I as I type - back to the music but just not quite audible
enough to make it out.:-I

It's not DZGB because I just listened to them online and it's some gal
speaking in the native tongue. This is being spoke in English - two
guys talking to each other - if I just had a preamp maybe.

Gregg May 13th 10 12:20 AM

729 AM @ 2245

On May 12, 7:16*pm, Gregg wrote:
On May 12, 7:00*pm, Gregg wrote:

Thought I would tune around in nine increments to see if I could hear
something. I have nothing on 710 or 730 right now so it has to be
transantlantic - would that be coorect?

The only thing I can find is thishttp://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/frequencyfinder/asp/details.asp?tra...

I'm going to keep it here for a while to see if it fades away or gets
better. They were playing music about ten minutes ago and now there is
talking and I as I type - back to the music but just not quite audible
enough to make it out.:-I

It's not DZGB because I just listened to them online and it's some gal
speaking in the native tongue. This is being spoke in English - two
guys talking to each other - if I just had a preamp maybe.

Figured it out, nevermind. :-(

[email protected] May 13th 10 01:04 AM

729 AM @ 2245

On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:20:03 -0700 (PDT), Gregg
wrote:

On May 12, 7:16*pm, Gregg wrote:
On May 12, 7:00*pm, Gregg wrote:

Thought I would tune around in nine increments to see if I could hear
something. I have nothing on 710 or 730 right now so it has to be
transantlantic - would that be coorect?

The only thing I can find is thishttp://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/frequencyfinder/asp/details.asp?tra...

I'm going to keep it here for a while to see if it fades away or gets
better. They were playing music about ten minutes ago and now there is
talking and I as I type - back to the music but just not quite audible
enough to make it out.:-I

It's not DZGB because I just listened to them online and it's some gal
speaking in the native tongue. This is being spoke in English - two
guys talking to each other - if I just had a preamp maybe.

Figured it out, nevermind. :-(

http://mediumwave.de/#list

You mentioned trans-atlantic so I pulled up this site.

Jim

Gregg May 14th 10 05:17 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

On May 12, 7:16*pm, Gregg wrote:
On May 12, 7:00*pm, Gregg wrote:

Thought I would tune around in nine increments to see if I could hear
something. I have nothing on 710 or 730 right now so it has to be
transantlantic - would that be coorect?

The only thing I can find is thishttp://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/frequencyfinder/asp/details.asp?tra...

I'm going to keep it here for a while to see if it fades away or gets
better. They were playing music about ten minutes ago and now there is
talking and I as I type - back to the music but just not quite audible
enough to make it out.:-I

It's not DZGB because I just listened to them online and it's some gal
speaking in the native tongue. This is being spoke in English - two
guys talking to each other - if I just had a preamp maybe.

Figured it out, nevermind. :-(

http://mediumwave.de/#list

You mentioned trans-atlantic so I pulled up this site.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Hey, appreciate the link. Tx.

[email protected] May 14th 10 09:49 PM

729 AM @ 2245

On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:00:57 -0700 (PDT), Gregg
wrote:

Thought I would tune around in nine increments to see if I could hear
something. I have nothing on 710 or 730 right now so it has to be
transantlantic - would that be coorect?

The only thing I can find is this
http://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/fr...nsmissionid=58

I'm going to keep it here for a while to see if it fades away or gets
better. They were playing music about ten minutes ago and now there is
talking and I as I type - back to the music but just not quite audible
enough to make it out.:-I

Last night I did some mw listening.
WOR was on 710. CFZM Toronto is on 740.
730 had a country music station I could not ID.
Also on 730 a French station and from time to time a Spanish station
would fade in. Will listen to this frequency a bit more tonight.

Using a 3 ft box loop (home brew) facing N-S in SE Michigan. Any ideas
on the 730 country music station?

Jim

Gregg May 15th 10 01:12 AM

729 AM @ 2245

http://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/fr...etails.asp?tra...

I'm going to keep it here for a while to see if it fades away or gets
better. They were playing music about ten minutes ago and now there is
talking and I as I type - back to the music but just not quite audible
enough to make it out.:-I

Last night I did some mw listening.
WOR was on 710. CFZM Toronto is on 740.
730 had a country music station I could not ID.
Also on 730 a French station and from time to time a Spanish station
would fade in. Will listen to this frequency a bit more tonight.

Using a 3 ft box loop (home brew) facing N-S in SE Michigan. Any ideas
on the 730 country music station?

Jim

Unless I break out my big ass loop and go out on the deck - I'm not
going to hear anything on 710 because of WLW. But I have been able to
null them enough to send a report on the 710 freq. and received a QSL
but that has been a while ago. All I have in my notes is that I
received a QSL but I'd have too dig mine out and look through them.

730 takes me some work also - I've logged WPIT out of Pittsburgh
during the day before and received a QSL. But like right now at 2405
UTC there is nothing there - I heard a tad of talking but not enough
for it to be an honest verficiation IMO. Some days are better than
others - but that is usually the way it is for me on 730 here in the
Nati'.

dxAce May 15th 10 01:38 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

[...]

At 0030 I'm starting to pick up traces of country music on 730. About a half hour
earlier I had 740 Toronto in. I'm using the 200' W-E wire on 730, but at that frequency
I'm not about to trust it's directionality.

I'd have to wait a bit before I could use the SR II, and not certain I'll stay up that
late. SS is around 9 PM EDT here.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce May 15th 10 01:43 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

[...]

Bummer! That sucker on 730 popped right up and mentioned a George Straight song, was hoping
for an ID but nada, then into some oil ad by YL...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 15th 10 02:22 AM

729 AM @ 2245

On Fri, 14 May 2010 20:43:31 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That's it. 10 pm EDT is best for reception. I will listen some myself.
Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives is all repeats anyway.

Jim,
Listening on the KWZ-30

[email protected] May 15th 10 03:30 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Got it. Its 730 WJMT in Merill, Wisconsin. Thanks for the help. They
are featuring George Strait all weekend.

Jim

Gregg May 15th 10 04:05 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

[...]

My mistake - you knew what I meant Ace. ;-P

Gregg May 15th 10 04:14 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Listening on the KWZ-30- Hide quoted text -

Ha! You're a "Triple D" viewer also. I'm going to watch the repeat of
the shows - at either midnight or 1am. I keep waiting to see when they
show his stops here in Cincinnati. Maybe a couple of months ago he
visited this area and according to our local news he visited six or
seven places. After the first stop, because of the huge crowd, they
kept the rest of his itinerary {sp} quiet. Can't wait to see the shows
from this area.

Back to radio, right now on 730 it is clearing up - this is on my
outside antenna - don't feel like breaking out the loop tonight....at
least not yet.

Gregg May 15th 10 04:19 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I got it also, but they said WMIL. After checking, that is a FM
station out of Waukesha,Wi. Sister stations?

Gregg May 15th 10 04:37 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

station out of Waukesha,Wi. Sister stations?- Hide quoted text -

WPIT out of Pittsburgh trying to squeeze in there. Then for about
fifteen seconds - clear as day and then back in the mud and then the
Wisconsin station overtaking it.

Drifter May 15th 10 05:04 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

[...]

Jim, the late night guys on CFZM love to trade emails on oldies.
lots of good info.

Drifter...

dxAce May 15th 10 10:57 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I had a suspicion that's what it might be as at the time I listened on the SR II what I could
pull in seemed to loop in that direction. Nice catch.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 15th 10 12:53 PM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I needed the loop to null out a French (Canadian I assume) station
also on the frequency.

Jim

dave May 15th 10 06:30 PM

729 AM @ 2245

Bob Dobbs wrote:
wrote:
in SE Michigan. Any ideas
on the 730 country music station?

Maybe these guys?
http://www.kwre.com/

****, 120 Watts at night ought to cover the continent.

http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....05334&sHours=N

DEFCON 88 May 15th 10 07:52 PM

729 AM @ 2245

On May 15, 1:30*pm, dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
wrote:
in SE Michigan. Any ideas
on the 730 country music station?

Maybe these guys?http://www.kwre.com/

****, 120 Watts at night ought to cover the continent.

Under ideal conditions (winter, low sunspots, no aurora borealis, no
co-channel or adjacent QRM, low QRN, decent antenna and RX, etc.),
which admittedly rarely exist, a 120 watt MW station could be received
across the continent. Years ago, when the MW band wasn't saturated
with signals, some DXers bagged fantastic low-power DX. If memory
serves, a DXer in Australia heard 250 watt stations from the USA and
South America.

I wonder what the BEST MW DX catches (pure distance, power vs
distance, etc.) in history were?

[email protected] May 15th 10 08:50 PM

729 AM @ 2245

On Sat, 15 May 2010 09:11:02 -0700, Bob Dobbs

in SE Michigan. Any ideas
on the 730 country music station?

Maybe these guys? http://www.kwre.com/

You may have missed the earlier post. I got a good ID. It was WJMT in
Merill, Wisconsin with an ERP of 127 watts.
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?call=WJMT

Jim

dave May 15th 10 10:21 PM

729 AM @ 2245

http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....05347&sHours=N

dxAce May 15th 10 10:53 PM

729 AM @ 2245

dave wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 09:11:02 -0700, Bob Dobbs

in SE Michigan. Any ideas
on the 730 country music station?

Maybe these guys?
http://www.kwre.com/

You may have missed the earlier post. I got a good ID. It was WJMT in
Merill, Wisconsin with an ERP of 127 watts.
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?call=WJMT

They do run a kiloWatt daytime, so it certainly depends on when the switch to 127 Watts occurs.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 15th 10 11:57 PM

729 AM @ 2245

On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:53:47 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

dave wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 09:11:02 -0700, Bob Dobbs

in SE Michigan. Any ideas
on the 730 country music station?

Maybe these guys?
http://www.kwre.com/

You may have missed the earlier post. I got a good ID. It was WJMT in
Merill, Wisconsin with an ERP of 127 watts.
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?call=WJMT

They do run a kiloWatt daytime, so it certainly depends on when the switch to 127 Watts occurs.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

They were still coming in decent after 11PM EDT local so they should
have changed antenna pattern. But the way things go today there is no
guarantee that it gets done. Who is going to complain?

I do think that there may be some benefit going non-directional in
that they probably aim away from the lake with the daytime pattern.
Well, thanks anyway for the help. Now I want to see if I can ID the
Spanish station that fades in and out on that frequency.

Jim

dxAce May 16th 10 12:00 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

dave wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I'd like to find out who the gospel huxter is that I heard on the frequency this morning.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce May 16th 10 12:06 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

dave wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 09:11:02 -0700, Bob Dobbs

in SE Michigan. Any ideas
on the 730 country music station?

Maybe these guys?
http://www.kwre.com/

You may have missed the earlier post. I got a good ID. It was WJMT in
Merill, Wisconsin with an ERP of 127 watts.
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?call=WJMT

They do run a kiloWatt daytime, so it certainly depends on when the switch to 127 Watts occurs.

They were still coming in decent after 11PM EDT local so they should
have changed antenna pattern. But the way things go today there is no
guarantee that it gets done. Who is going to complain?

I do think that there may be some benefit going non-directional in
that they probably aim away from the lake with the daytime pattern.

I don't think they change 'pattern' at all. They are non-directional. Perhaps someone else might
clarify this.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 16th 10 01:28 AM

729 AM @ 2245

On Sat, 15 May 2010 19:06:01 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

wrote:

dave wrote:

wrote:
[...]

You are probably right. I was thinking about some of the bigger
stations that have to use multiple antennas to control their pattern.

I doubt that the station has enough money or need for any fancy
antenna as I described. A single vertical probably does the job.

Jim

Brenda Ann[_2_] May 16th 10 01:36 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

wrote:

dave wrote:

wrote:
[...]

WJMT WI MERRILL USA
Daytime

Licensee: QUICKSILVER BROADCASTING, LLC

730 kHz Licensed
Domestic Station Class: D Region 2 Station Class (corresponds to W.
Hemisphere): B
Coordination Status: Canada: International Objection Mexico: Accepted
Region 2: -
File No: BL-- Facility ID No.: 57222
CDBS Application ID No.: 305347

45° 10' 45.00" N Latitude Power: 1.0 kilowatts (kW)
Daytime (.127 kW nighttime)
89 ° 38' 20.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

ND1 - Non-directional Antenna: Same constants day and night

RMS Standard: 0.00 mV/m at 1 kilometer
RMS Theoretical: 299.34 mV/m at 1 kilometer

1 tower CDBS Ant. System ID: 2434

Tower information:
Tower
No. Field
Ratio Phase
(deg) Spacing
(deg) Orientation
(degrees) Electrical
Height (deg) Twr
Ref. -No Top Loaded or Sectionalized Tower(s)- Antenna Structure
Registration Number
(#0) A B C D
1 1.000 0.00 0.00 0.00 80.20 0 0 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00

Gregg May 16th 10 03:22 AM

729 AM @ 2245

wrote:

*wrote:

wrote:
[...]

USA- Hide quoted text -

Was that WMIL Steve? No one responded when I said that's what they
said, it was very clear so I know there was no mistake. I think (if I
remember right from yesterday) from looking up that callsign that it
said it was religious. After the commercial and callsign they went
back to two guys talking and I heard enough to know they were talking
scripture related jazz.

Brenda Ann[_2_] May 16th 10 03:27 AM

729 AM @ 2245

"Gregg" wrote in message
Was that WMIL Steve? No one responded when I said that's what they
said, it was very clear so I know there was no mistake. I think (if I
remember right from yesterday) from looking up that callsign that it
said it was religious. After the commercial and callsign they went
back to two guys talking and I heard enough to know they were talking
scripture related jazz.

According to the FCC website, there is no such station as WMIL on AM.