Old October 25th 10, 12:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Is There Any Future For Shortwave Radio : With or Without DRM . . .

BURR,

The American AM & FM Broadcasters to some degree
feel they got burned by IBOC "HD" Radio Scheme.

The NASB is most likely looking at FCC and International
Pressure to start some Shortwave Broadcasting using DRM.

The NASB would like to know / what to know if the present
Shortwave Radio Listeners will follow and BUY New Shortwave
Radios that feature DRM ???

Me thinks that the average Age {Demographics} of Shortwave
Radio Listeners (SWLs) and those who are willing to spend
the Extra $150 for a new DRM Shortwave Radio are small
and getting smaller.

NOTE - Above the $150 Cost Range : Gets people to think
that a PC/Internet and Satellite is the better deal for the
Added Price; and gives better quality Audio plus Video too.

*IF* The Shortwave Radio Broadcasters of the World with
Government Backing could make and market a 'portable'
AM & FM Shortwave Radio like the Redsun RP2100 Radio
{C Crane SW} for under US$100 then there would be a
World-Wide Market for DRM Shortwave Broadcasters.
http://www.ccrane.com/images/large/ccradio-sw.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/2100.html
http://www.radiointel.com/review-redsunrp2100.htm

NOTE - Not a 12 kHz IF-Output Jack to hook-up to a PC
to Decode the DRM Signal -but- Real Built-In DRM in the
Radio itself. {no extra techie required}
-aka- Just Turn It 'On' and Listen
-wrt- Free Over-the-Air Radio*
* AM/FM/SW Radio + AC/DC Power + You-the-Listener

IMHO - Without a low-cost 'Affordable' DRM 'portable' AM
& FM Shortwave Radio designed for the World Market
{Available in every Country} there is NO Future
for DRM Broadcasting.

IBOC has the 'possibility' of HD-Radio "Installs" in many/
most New American Cars & Trucks to act as a Decade
Long passive transitioning modus : While DRM Shortwave
has No Means To It's End of Gaining General SWL Acceptance
and becoming the Average Shortwave Radio Listener's
'normal' way of Receiving Shortwave Radio Broadcasts.

PLUS Real Time World-Wide "Audio Content" that was
Exclusive to Shortwave Radio Broadcasting is now available
via several other forms of Audio and Video Media Transmission :
Satellite, Internet, Cellphone, etc ::: The Combination of Audio
and Video Media is simply more compelling then Audio Along
and Shortwave Radio Broadcasting is simply Audio Along.

It's the old story of the Railroads seeing themselves as railroads
and not Transportation Companies : Therefore NOT Using their
Economic Might to Get Into the Airline Business and Dominate
It early-on.

Many/Most Government/National Shortwave Radio Broadcasters
are NOW! Government/National Media Distributors -via- Satellite
Radio & TV; Internet Radio & TV; Cellphone PodCast; and oh
yes... some still do some Shortwave Radio Broadcasting too...

Is There Any Future For Shortwave Radio :
With or Without DRM . . . ~ RHF©

*IF* AM & FM Radio are Slowly Dying . . .
{Dead But Don't Know It Yet}
What Then Can Be Said For Shortwave Radio ?
Old October 25th 10, 12:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Is There Any Future For Shortwave Radio : With or Without DRM . . .

http://groups.google.com/group/short...2b6837d037eda8

-note- corrected a few typos and misspellings ~ RHF
Old October 30th 10, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10/25/2010 4:30 AM, RHF wrote:

The wife and I have our flatscreens in storage, we have no plans of
getting them out. If our shows are not available on the net, we don't
watch them.

And, lately, I have been just listening to AM on the net, and those
stations which provide streams ... NPR is the FM that I grab, on the net
.... point being, it is getting hard to not realize the fact we could do
without standalone radios ... with probably keep my USB software driven
radios, at least for a while longer.

DRM is just too silly to be bothered with. I don't think the wife and I
will ever want to be bothered with it ... if obama shuts down the
internet, I guess we will all have to go back to BBS's.

Regards,
JS