RadioBanter

-   -   A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/173520-mammoth-army-infected-computers-being-assembled.html)

dave September 20th 11 04:35 PM

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...my-250956.html

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled, but it's unclear
yet what purpose they will be put to.

Wave after wave of malicious email attachments has been sent out since
August, and with average success rates for such mailings, millions of
machines could be compromised, says Internet security firm Commtouch.

Once infected, the computers can be loaded with additional malware that
can perform a range of activities, including spamming, participating in
DDoS attacks, stealing bank credentials and compromising email and social-
network accounts, according to an upcoming Commtouch blog post.

John Smith[_7_] September 20th 11 08:25 PM

On 9/20/2011 8:35 AM, dave wrote:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...my-250956.html

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled, but it's unclear
yet what purpose they will be put to.

Wave after wave of malicious email attachments has been sent out since
August, and with average success rates for such mailings, millions of
machines could be compromised, says Internet security firm Commtouch.

Once infected, the computers can be loaded with additional malware that
can perform a range of activities, including spamming, participating in
DDoS attacks, stealing bank credentials and compromising email and social-
network accounts, according to an upcoming Commtouch blog post.

Yeah, the ignorant need to fix this:

http://free.antivirusware.com/

http://www.pchell.com/support/spywaretools.shtml

So, grab a free virus scanner and a good malware scanner and fix the
problem, more on to more important things ... in a few minutes you go
from being part of the problem to being part of the solution.

Or, just kick back with SD (special dave), bong toke yourself into
"bitchers heaven" (and, promote the fear of boogeymen, false flag
government operations, rag headed men, CIA paid terrorists, 9/11 type
conspiracies, etc.) and leave it to those more capable ...

Escape "The Matrix", take the red pill, Neo!!!

Regards,
JS

DEFCON 88 September 21st 11 05:43 AM

On Sep 20, 11:35*am, dave wrote:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...my-250956.html

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled, but it's unclear
yet what purpose they will be put to.

Wave after wave of malicious email attachments has been sent out since
August, and with average success rates for such mailings, millions of
machines could be compromised, says Internet security firm Commtouch.

Once infected, the computers can be loaded with additional malware that
can perform a range of activities, including spamming, participating in
DDoS attacks, stealing bank credentials and compromising email and social-
network accounts, according to an upcoming Commtouch blog post.

As a big iron (IBM mainframe) programmer, I'm always amazed at how the
Windows op sys is so open to viruses and malware. It would be funny if
it wasn't so serious.

VIRUS ............. "Knock knock".

WINDOWS ..... "Who's there?"

VIRUS ............. "You".

WINDOWS ..... "OK, come in."

dave September 21st 11 01:32 PM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 21:43:07 -0700, DEFCON 88 wrote:

On Sep 20, 11:35Â*am, dave wrote:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...my-250956.html

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled, but it's
unclear yet what purpose they will be put to.

Wave after wave of malicious email attachments has been sent out since
August, and with average success rates for such mailings, millions of
machines could be compromised, says Internet security firm Commtouch.

Once infected, the computers can be loaded with additional malware that
can perform a range of activities, including spamming, participating in
DDoS attacks, stealing bank credentials and compromising email and
social- network accounts, according to an upcoming Commtouch blog post.

As a big iron (IBM mainframe) programmer, I'm always amazed at how the
Windows op sys is so open to viruses and malware. It would be funny if
it wasn't so serious.

You were right the first time; it's funny. Microsoft asks for it. Where
is it written we need to put our infrastructure on the same network as
Facebook.? Why does everything need to be connected to everything else?

John Smith[_7_] September 21st 11 07:12 PM

On 9/20/2011 9:43 PM, DEFCON 88 wrote:
On Sep 20, 11:35 am, wrote:
[...]

It isn't any more susceptible than any other OS or hardware platform.
But, ignorance may make it seem that way.

Truth is, anyone owning a PC is GOD over the machine, there are no
limits on you, now and then, when you can do ESPECIALLY STUPID things,
windows will give you are warning or two ... most don't understand these
warnings, don't care about the warnings, don't even read the warnings
.... they are of the mindset "everyone and every thing is here to take
care of me and keep me out of trouble."

Truth is, if you are a computer moron, you should either own a MAC or
have a system administrator on a main frame keeping you from GOD access
to the machine and being able to screw it up.

PC is an open system, it is created for educated people who understand
computers ... the ego of most force them to claim they are ... obviously
they are not ...

Some don'ts on a PC:

1) Don't download/install software from untrusted sources.

2) If you are not computer literate, buy programs/apps and don't use
free ones, UNLESS from a trusted source.

3) Run a virus and malware scanner, they will assist you in keeping you
safe from yourself.

4) DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, ... allow anyone to use
administrator status on your machine who is not computer literate.

System administrators will almost NEVER allow you to install your own
software on their mainframes ... they know morons will shortly be
causing them all sorts of problems.

MAC/Apple is the same, their platform is not open, not easy to use free
apps/software on, not easy to write your own software for ... indeed,
they know 90+% of the people using their hardware are morons, not to be
trusted to do anything which apple does not approve of, and best kept
from EVER being allowed administrator status on their hardware ...

A PC is like everything else in the world, not safe to use unless you
are capable of using it ... but then an auto, truck, guns, industrial
equipment of all types, skill saws, ladders, etc. are VERY MUCH THE SAME
AS A PC -- KNOW HOW TO USE THEM AND THERE IS NO PROBLEM ... DON'T AND
YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF!!!

Well, will a PC, you really can't kill yourself, but you can be forced
to call someone to fix it which does know how to operate it ...

In closing, DON'T EVER USE THE ADMIN ACCOUNT ... DUMMY!!!

Have someone set you up a user account and limit your actions and use to
that allowed by a MAC or user on a mainframe ...

Regards,
JS

dave September 21st 11 07:34 PM

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:12:37 -0700, John Smith wrote:

PC is an open system, it is created for educated people who understand
computers ... the ego of most force them to claim they are ... obviously
they are not ...

If you like to play with computers, Windows is annoying at best.
Everybody wants codes and passwords and money. Very boorish.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%...%20Started.htm

J R September 21st 11 08:46 PM

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

WebTV doesn't get infected.On the other hand,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

DEFCON 88 September 21st 11 11:19 PM

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

COMPUTER HUMOR:

If cars followed the same development cycle as computers, a Rolls-
Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and stall
every few days.

Being an expert is more than understanding how a computer is supposed
to work. Expertise is gained by investigating why a computer doesn't
work.

Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things
they make it easier to do don't need to be done.

PROGRAM = A series of instructions inside a computer that turns your
input into error messages.

Imagine if sometimes your shoes exploded when you tie them the usual
way. This happens all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of
complaining.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
history.

There is only one satisfying way to boot a computer.

Steve September 22nd 11 08:40 PM

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

Most of the Windows users I know regard Linux as a curiosity, most
likely because they aren't really "computer people" and don't much
care about trying new software. On the other hand, the Apple users I
know seem to despise Linux and I've never quite understood that.
Aren't Linux and the various incarnations of Apple's OS both children
of Unix? What gives?

∅baMa∅ Tse Dung September 23rd 11 12:27 AM

On Sep 20, 11:35 am, *wrote:
[...]

Don't vorry Komrad. The Liberal Fascist Jackass Party will take care
of dis.
Zey are vorking on a permitting/licensing program to own and operate
any computing device. Including a iPhone and iPad.

J R September 23rd 11 12:48 AM

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

KNOCK! KNOCK!
///Whos there?///
Kenya.
///Kenya who???///
Kenya show me the birth certificate?
cuhulin

dave September 23rd 11 01:17 AM

On 9/22/2011 12:40 PM, Steve wrote:
Most of the Windows users I know regard Linux as a curiosity, most
likely because they aren't really "computer people" and don't much
care about trying new software. On the other hand, the Apple users I
know seem to despise Linux and I've never quite understood that.
Aren't Linux and the various incarnations of Apple's OS both children
of Unix? What gives?

Since X, Apple OS has been Free BSD based, as I recall. Fashionistas are
not logical.

dave September 23rd 11 01:21 AM

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

On 9/22/2011 3:34 PM, J R wrote:
Over 80 percent of the World uses Windows.There must be a reason why.

You hear that boys?!
On the TCM channel right now.
cuhulin

Because it comes pre-loaded in those mass market computers they sell at
big box stores?

J R September 23rd 11 01:39 AM

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

In my opinion, if you build your own computer from scratch, you can make
it what you want without all that preloaded crap.
cuhulin

Brenda Ann[_2_] September 23rd 11 01:53 AM

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

"dave" wrote in message
. ..

On 9/22/2011 3:34 PM, J R wrote:
Over 80 percent of the World uses Windows.There must be a reason why.

You hear that boys?!
On the TCM channel right now.
cuhulin

Because it comes pre-loaded in those mass market computers they sell at
big box stores?

Also because it is exceptionally simple to use. It is designed for the end
user. Linux may well be a "superior" OS in some respects, but one of them is
not its ease of adding new applications, nor its network interoperability
with Windows based systems on the same network. I will admit that Linux has
become a lot more hardware friendly. The first few times I tried it, you had
to pretty much have the hardware it was written for, or needed to know how
to write your own drivers. The GUI has also become better over time, but for
most who are not computer geeks (and some of us that are), it's still not
all that friendly to the end user.

dave September 23rd 11 01:42 PM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:39:35 -0500, J R wrote:

In my opinion, if you build your own computer from scratch, you can make
it what you want without all that preloaded crap. cuhulin

I have a friend who's a gamer. Whenever he upgrades his gaming machine we
put the old one in the studio and run Ubuntu Studio on it.

Personally, I get a mid-range BCS motherboard and last year's flavor of
the month processor, and an 80 Plus PSU and I'm off. Memory costs
nothing. Linux costs nothing.

My ham radio computer is one of those $200 WalMart boxes from about 5
years ago.

dave September 23rd 11 01:50 PM

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:53:50 +0900, Brenda Ann wrote:

Also because it is exceptionally simple to use. It is designed for the
end user. Linux may well be a "superior" OS in some respects, but one of
them is not its ease of adding new applications, nor its network
interoperability with Windows based systems on the same network. I will
admit that Linux has become a lot more hardware friendly. The first few
times I tried it, you had to pretty much have the hardware it was
written for, or needed to know how to write your own drivers. The GUI
has also become better over time, but for most who are not computer
geeks (and some of us that are), it's still not all that friendly to the
end user.

I find it way easier to use than Windows, but then again I have
congenital brain damage.

If there are compatibility issues, it's almost always on the Windows end.
The web is Unix based.

Windows has nothing to compare with "synaptic" based installers.

For personal use the only thing Windows excels [pun] at is games that
require DirectX. For some business you need the Photoshop type apps
(because the prima-donnas refuse to adapt or try new things).

For overall ease I'd have to go with an Ubuntu 2010. To run any machine
ever built, I'd use Puppy 420. If you like waiting on hold for secret
codes, buy Windows.

John Smith[_7_] September 23rd 11 06:21 PM

On 9/23/2011 5:50 AM, dave wrote:
[...]

Poor dave has problems tying his shoes, even lighting up his bong ... I
am sure he has difficulty with most other things in life ... the rest of
wonder why he is having all the problems ... I mean, all the moron would
have to do is stop smoking killer dope ... but hey, it is good humbling
experience ... experiencing pity for the less fortunate ...

Regards,
JS

John Smith[_7_] September 23rd 11 06:23 PM

On 9/23/2011 5:42 AM, dave wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:39:35 -0500, J R wrote:

In my opinion, if you build your own computer from scratch, you can make
it what you want without all that preloaded crap. cuhulin

I have a friend who's a gamer. Whenever he upgrades his gaming machine we
put the old one in the studio and run Ubuntu Studio on it.

Personally, I get a mid-range BCS motherboard and last year's flavor of
the month processor, and an 80 Plus PSU and I'm off. Memory costs
nothing. Linux costs nothing.

My ham radio computer is one of those $200 WalMart boxes from about 5
years ago.

Ubuntu is for windows morons who can't run a true unix/linux ...
slackware is where it's at! Morons running windows flavored linux are
just disgusting ...

Regards,
JS

Chas.Chan[_2_] September 24th 11 02:10 AM

On Sep 23, 7:50*am, dave wrote:

I find it way easier to use than Windows, but then again I have
congenital brain damage.

Are you 0baMa0?

John Smith[_7_] September 24th 11 03:04 AM

On 9/23/2011 6:10 PM, Chas.Chan wrote:
On Sep 23, 7:50 am, wrote:

I find it way easier to use than Windows, but then again I have
congenital brain damage.

Are you 0baMa0?

Does obummer smoke killer weed that gives him problems using a computer?
Has he gone too far, like special dave, and now the damage is
irreversible? Wow, no wonder he thinks he is raygun!

Regards,
JS

dave September 24th 11 01:25 PM

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:12:44 -0700, Chas.Chan wrote:

On Sep 23, 12:23Â*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 9/23/2011 5:42 AM, dave wrote:

I have a friend who's a gamer. Whenever he upgrades his gaming
machine we put the old one in the studio and run Ubuntu Studio on it.

Ubuntu is for windows morons who can't run a true unix/linux ...
slackware is where it's at! Â*Morons running windows flavored linux are
just disgusting ...

Regards,
JS

Ubuntu? Ptooey!

Ubuntu Studio uses a realtime kernel and a suite of production
applications for audio, video and graphic design. There is a relatively
large user base, resulting in prompt bug-fixes and a community of users
who are very experienced and helpful. There is also a Puppy Linux version
of studio that runs off a CD, but it doesn't enjoy nearly as much real-
time active maintenance. I run my ham radio station on Puppy Linux, I
edit on Ubuntu Studio.

dave September 24th 11 05:21 PM

A mammoth army of infected computers is being assembled

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:55:41 -0500, J R wrote:

Anybody can build their own computer, desktop or laptop, mostly, it is
plug and play.
You can read on the internet how to build your own computer, you can buy
a magazine how to do it.I have a few magazines that show and tell all
about it.
cuhulin

Yet you use a WebTV

John Smith[_7_] September 24th 11 05:22 PM

On 9/24/2011 8:55 AM, J R wrote:
Anybody can build their own computer, desktop or laptop, mostly, it is
plug and play.
You can read on the internet how to build your own computer, you can buy
a magazine how to do it.I have a few magazines that show and tell all
about it.
cuhulin

You simply have to, an "out of the box" HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc. is
simply slow and insufficient junk, pure and unadulterated ...

A top of the line NVIDIA or Radeon video card (EVGA GeForce GTX 580 is a
good performer) 16 gigs of ram, large SSD drives (SATA), 850+ power
supply, HD audio, 3.2Ghz processor speed (multi-core (7 is a good
number), hyperthreading, etc.), water cooling, USB 3.0 ports, Window 7
64-bit OS with dual boot into Slackware, MSI or other military grade
motherboard, etc. and you are off to a good start ... you can improve as
funds allow.

I have mine all stuck in a Corsair Obsidian case, lots of screening for
air flow, powerful fans for cooling, kewl blue lights, easy "pop open"
access to all components, finger-screws, etc.

Regards,
JS

m II September 24th 11 05:28 PM

dave wrote:
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:55:41 -0500, J R wrote:

Anybody can build their own computer, desktop or laptop, mostly, it is
plug and play.
You can read on the internet how to build your own computer, you can buy
a magazine how to do it.I have a few magazines that show and tell all
about it.
cuhulin

Yet you use a WebTV

He has to. The dog won't let him on the Windows box.

mike

--
And, as always, don't leave your children unattended anywhere in
Holland, Michigan. Many, many undesirable backwater types live there.

They have at least one dufus who once claimed to have been the Supreme
Commander of a gay paramilitary sauna club and fantasized about 'blowing
away' Canada, and who knows, there may be many more dufi there.

John Smith[_7_] September 25th 11 04:39 AM

On 9/24/2011 9:22 AM, John Smith wrote:
On 9/24/2011 8:55 AM, J R wrote:
[...]

I should have added, if only sw radios where made with such innovation
and state of the art components and construction practices it would put
the fun back in radio!

Drop in audio boards, turner boards, rf amps/front-ends, filter
sections, power supplies, screens, dials (buttons, sliders, USB outputs,
etc.) -- which are simply another plug in component, variations in
cases, etc. ... what could be done boggles the mind ...

Regards,
JS

dave September 25th 11 02:06 PM

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:39:11 -0700, John Smith wrote:

I should have added, if only sw radios where made with such innovation
and state of the art components and construction practices it would put
the fun back in radio!

Drop in audio boards, turner boards, rf amps/front-ends, filter
sections, power supplies, screens, dials (buttons, sliders, USB outputs,
etc.) -- which are simply another plug in component, variations in
cases, etc. ... what could be done boggles the mind ...

I suggest you check out the Elecraft company of Aptos, California. They
sell highly configurable state of the art radios.

64 bit Windows is like buying a Ferrari that idles above the speed limit.
What's the point? It is 4 times more trouble than 32 and actually runs
legacy apps with more difficulty and therefore slower.

It is criminal to have lightning fast computers and networks and have to
have everything pass through Norton or whatever to get to you. My Linux
boxes are way faster than my friend's Win7 gaming machine.

John Smith[_7_] September 25th 11 02:52 PM

On 9/25/2011 6:06 AM, dave wrote:
[...]

I can understand how that is your experience, just wonder how many bong
hits before you reached that expert conclusion?

Speed compromise is simple the difference between a proprietary, done
for profit OS as compared to free OS ... however, you think a moron can
screw up a windows machine, just teach them enough to able to take real
control of linux box, as a superuser (GOD) and watch the fun!

Luckily, most linux users are like you, can't write they own software,
can't recompile drivers, can't wine windows games, can't set firewall
and network rules, don't completely understand file permissions and the
how/why of it all, can't install difficult/complex apps, etc., etc.

Indeed, you can load up all sorts of viruses and malware on a linux box,
if you are not sure of what you are doing -- I am sure many computers in
"THE GREAT MAMMOTH ARMY" (of your pot induced visions) are incorrectly
configured linux boxes which have been compromised by their very
owners/users ... in the end, it is just the same-old-same-old, the
monsters which kill you were created by your own very hands.

Regards,
JS

Regards,
JS