RadioBanter

-   -   Wellbrook loop vs Pixel Technology's RF Pro-1A (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/183937-wellbrook-loop-vs-pixel-technologys-rf-pro-1a.html)

Steve February 2nd 12 02:35 PM

Wellbrook loop vs Pixel Technology's RF Pro-1A

For the diminishing number of you who are still interested, here's a
link to a review comparing one of the Wellbrook loops to Pixel
Technology's RF Pro-1A magnetic loop antenna:

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/reviews/...O-1AReview.pdf

I still prefer a tuned, passive loop to the amplified, broadband
variety.

justis February 3rd 12 10:59 PM

Wellbrook loop vs Pixel Technology's RF Pro-1A

Thanks for the comparison link,. I've been waiting for this and maybe a few
more antenna comparisons as well.
There was one advertised recently and I remember it was a piece of coax that
you could lay around the apartment and it supposedly gave you remarkable
results for around $75 plus shipping CONUS. I've done a search of cable
antennas but cannot find it now. Perhaps you or someone can remember this.
Anyway thanks for your time.

justis February 3rd 12 11:08 PM

Wellbrook loop vs Pixel Technology's RF Pro-1A

Found!
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
Par Electronics EF-SWL

Do you or some of the others have any input on this antenna? Seems a bit
too good to be true but great if it works.

bpnjensen February 4th 12 02:35 AM

"Steve" wrote in message
For the diminishing number of you who are still interested, here's a
link to a review comparing one of the Wellbrook loops to Pixel
Technology's RF Pro-1A magnetic loop antenna:

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/reviews/...O-1AReview.pdf

I still prefer a tuned, passive loop to the amplified, broadband
variety.

The PAR EF-SWL is actually a random wire with a very well made
matching transformer. It is likely to be a very good antenna of its
type. The antenna "radiator" is not a coax, but a plain insulated
flex-weave wire, designed ideally to be suspended at some height above
the ground. If installed properly, it should provide a good signal to
noise ratio.

The Wellbrooks are somewhat more elaborate designs, amplified magnetic
loops. They work very well in RF-noisy places, but you pay for
compactness and performance.

Bruce Jensen

dxAce February 4th 12 09:36 AM

Justis wrote:

Found!
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
Par Electronics EF-SWL

Do you or some of the others have any input on this antenna? Seems a bit
too good to be true but great if it works.

Cheaper just to roll your own transformer and hook up a wire to it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

justis February 5th 12 08:48 PM

Wellbrook loop vs Pixel Technology's RF Pro-1A

Par Electronics EF-SWL
"Cheaper just to roll your own transformer and hook up a wire to it."
I have a 9::1 balun.
This coax cable they describe, would any other cable say RG8/RG6 do the same
job? Live close to heavy industry and the noise at times just blankets the
area. NEED a quiet antenna. Thanks for the help!
R71A, NRD-535, NRD-525, E1 Main receivers.

Brenda Ann[_2_] February 5th 12 10:43 PM

"Justis" wrote in message ...

Par Electronics EF-SWL
"Cheaper just to roll your own transformer and hook up a wire to it."
I have a 9::1 balun.
This coax cable they describe, would any other cable say RG8/RG6 do the same
job? Live close to heavy industry and the noise at times just blankets the
area. NEED a quiet antenna. Thanks for the help!

If you need a "quiet" antenna, go for a loop. I had a home brew loop that
worked well, though I had to use a preselector with it. It was almost like a
miracle. Because it was a shielded loop, there was almost 50dB less noise,
and good directionality.

I made the thing from 5/8 copper tubing and some 8 AWG electrical cable. I
just put the cable inside the copper tubing, then connected the three wires
in series, soldered one end to the tubing and connected the other end to the
center of a piece of RG-8 (RG-8X is just as good and much easier to handle)
and clamped the ground braid to same place as the wire attached to the
tubing. This was a 4' loop, so worked as well at MW as SW. Unfortunately, I
don't have it anymore because the harsh climate destroyed it after only a
couple years.

justis February 6th 12 02:46 AM

Wellbrook loop vs Pixel Technology's RF Pro-1A

This I'll try. 'Doesn't matter about spacing at the loop ends just as long
as they're not touching, 1 or 2 inches? I have a rotor that I bought at a
Radio Shack clearance for a project like this. This should help a bit with
reception as well.
I heard of someone using a hula hoop for something like this but copper
tubing I guess makes it a magnetic loop, which I hear is best for a low
noise antenna? Still use the balun?
A thousand thanks for the instructions.

justis February 6th 12 03:32 PM

Wellbrook loop vs Pixel Technology's RF Pro-1A

One last thing, I have some 3/4" copper tubing available to make a 4 foot
loop. Will this work and roughly how much cable should I stuff inside, fill
'er up?

justis February 7th 12 03:59 AM

Wellbrook loop vs Pixel Technology's RF Pro-1A

"Please stop posting off-topic shortwave ..... "stuff to the GET KELP
newsgroup"...!" "Heh heh"?
TRANSLATION PLEASE!