RadioBanter

-   -   MP3 Recorder (UPDATE) (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/202544-mp3-recorder-update.html)

VegasNightOwl April 2nd 14 10:22 AM

MP3 Recorder (UPDATE)

Hi again all!

A couple of weeks ago I posted a message looking into recording MP3 from the
radios and quite a few replies followed. Although I was looking for it to
be "software based" that was too tough to find, especially since copyright
and patent laws on MP3. It seemed I was still stuck in the same situation
until I happened to recall a device that can be used to transfer audio from
a cassette player, record player, etc. After looking through my digital
junkyard I found it. It's the ADS Tech Instant Music. Just feed the audio
into the input and connect to the PC via a USB cable and used the software
on the CD then you have instant radio recording in MP3. For those
interested in such a device, there are a few for sale on ebay, both new and
used. What's also nice is you can record 2 radios using one channel for
each. Of course, this can also be done in WMA as well.

VegasNightOwl

Channel Jumper April 2nd 14 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasNightOwl (Post 817629)
[...]

Why not use a Signalink and interface cables?

You can use a program called Audacity and then save it as a MP3 or what ever format chokes your chicken..

dave April 2nd 14 02:44 PM

MP3 Recorder (UPDATE)

On 04/02/2014 06:09 AM, Channel Jumper wrote:
VegasNightOwl;817629 Wrote:
[...]

Why not Mpeg4 (aac+ h264, etc.) if you are going proprietary? Does flac
happen in the pay to play computer universe? Can you route an audio in
to VLC? Does anybody use JACK?

Michael Black[_2_] April 2nd 14 07:35 PM

MP3 Recorder (UPDATE)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014, VegasNightOwl wrote:

[...]

Likely the interface is doing nothing but convert the audio to digi8tal,
the software on the CD doing the actual work. So you may have overspent
on hardware that isn't needed since your computer likely has a soundcard
(or the equivalent) built in. YOu just paid to avoid having to make some
effort.

The magic interface is likely just a A/D that outputs via USB. And the
software won't run unless you have the needed Windows machine.

Michael

VegasNightOwl April 2nd 14 08:18 PM

MP3 Recorder (UPDATE)

Overspent? I don't think so. I had this item lying around and totally
forgot about it. I found it in a clearance aisle at a Wal-Mart for a grand
total of $4. I still had the receipt in the bag.

VegasNightOwl

news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1404021433310.30098@darkstar. example.org...

homepc[_2_] April 4th 14 03:54 AM

MP3 Recorder (UPDATE)

On 02/04/2014 4:22 AM, VegasNightOwl wrote:
[...]

If I ever need to record to MP3 I just get an audio line into my PC and
use a free program called Audio Grabber.

http://www.audiograbber.org/

There is a timer recording option if you want to record a specific
program. Still works in Windows 7.

VegasNightOwl April 5th 14 07:57 AM

MP3 Recorder (UPDATE)

"homepc" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting. Another option to choose from, as if 2 or 3 aren't many
already!
Thanks again!

VegasNightOwl