RadioBanter

-   -   Poor propagation tonight = podcast time (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/210090-poor-propagation-tonight-%3D-podcast-time.html)

Ross Archer[_3_] December 2nd 14 07:28 AM

Poor propagation tonight = podcast time

There's nothing to listen to in North America with my limited setup tonight, due to apparently bad propagation. (Except perhaps Radio Rebelde on 5025, nothing.)
So I'm off to Dan Robert's EXCELLENT "Shortwave Report" podcast.
http://www.outfarpress.com/shortwave.shtml
Highly recommended.

-- ross

Oregonian Haruspex December 2nd 14 07:09 PM

Ross Archer wrote:
There's nothing to listen to in North America with my limited setup
tonight, due to apparently bad propagation. (Except perhaps Radio Rebelde
on 5025, nothing.)
So I'm off to Dan Robert's EXCELLENT "Shortwave Report" podcast.
http://www.outfarpress.com/shortwave.shtml
Highly recommended.

-- ross

Strange, out here on the Oregon coast the radio was fairly alive last
night. However other nights when it is quite good inland, it is not so hot
here.

Ross Archer[_3_] December 2nd 14 10:25 PM

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:09:33 AM UTC-8, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
Ross Archer wrote:
There's nothing to listen to in North America with my limited setup
tonight, due to apparently bad propagation. (Except perhaps Radio Rebelde
on 5025, nothing.)
So I'm off to Dan Robert's EXCELLENT "Shortwave Report" podcast.
http://www.outfarpress.com/shortwave.shtml
Highly recommended.

-- ross

Strange, out here on the Oregon coast the radio was fairly alive last
night. However other nights when it is quite good inland, it is not so hot
here.

It recovered nicely a couple hours later and was good in the wee hours here too. I think it was an R1 radio blackout or some such.
Even Radio Rebelde was weak here, even some of the worthless domestic broadcasters were weak. Then pow, Nikkei Radio on 9595 Khz with a sledgehammer signal later in the evening.

SO I guess the bad conditions were short-lived :)

--ross

Oregonian Haruspex December 5th 14 12:05 AM

Ross Archer wrote:
[...]

I have found that despite space weather, DXmaps.com, reverse beacons,
and so on, the only way I can actually tell if there is good
propagation is to turn on my radio and spin that VFO!

That's OK though.