RadioBanter

-   -   Japan NRD 525 static problems (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/218742-japan-nrd-525-static-problems.html)

[email protected] August 9th 15 09:30 PM

Japan NRD 525 static problems

I have a Japan NRD 525 which I love and is fairly uncomplicated to use, but very recently I've had severe static problems. And I am wondering if something is wrong with my long wire antennas, or is it in the radio? I have another older radio that I hooked up to my antennas and find there is no static so I am led to believe it is in the radio. Any thoughts or suggestion on where I can go to find out the source of the static, as it is really bad..
John Parrott

[email protected] August 10th 15 06:26 AM

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 4:30:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a Japan NRD 525 which I love and is fairly uncomplicated to use, but very recently I've had severe static problems. And I am wondering if something is wrong with my long wire antennas, or is it in the radio? I have another older radio that I hooked up to my antennas and find there is no static so I am led to believe it is in the radio. Any thoughts or suggestion on where I can go to find out the source of the static, as it is really bad.
John Parrott

JRC receivers had a very serious florescent display interference. And not just in the NRD-525 . Nothing new in this case!

Simon Mason[_3_] August 10th 15 04:28 PM

On Sunday, 9 August 2015 21:30:59 UTC+1, wrote:
I have a Japan NRD 525 which I love and is fairly uncomplicated to use, but very recently I've had severe static problems. And I am wondering if something is wrong with my long wire antennas, or is it in the radio? I have another older radio that I hooked up to my antennas and find there is no static so I am led to believe it is in the radio. Any thoughts or suggestion on where I can go to find out the source of the static, as it is really bad.
John Parrott

I have a NRD 525 and a Satellit 800 and using a full size G5RV can't really tell any difference in static level between the two receivers. The sound quality of the Grundig is slightly better to my ears anyway.

BDK[_7_] August 10th 15 04:40 PM

Japan NRD 525 static problems

In article ,
says...

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 4:30:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a Japan NRD 525 which I love and is fairly uncomplicated to use, but very recently I've had severe static problems. And I am wondering if something is wrong with my long wire antennas, or is it in the radio? I have another older radio that I hooked up to my antennas and find there is no static so I am led to believe it

is in the radio. Any thoughts or suggestion on where I can go to find out the source of the static, as it is really bad.
John Parrott

JRC receivers had a very serious florescent display interference. And not just in the NRD-525 . Nothing new in this case!

Never bothered my listening to my NED-525 at all. My suggestion to
Pottyscot would be to pull ALL the cards out and reseat them, and see
what happens.

--
BDK: Head Government Shill, and future Psychotronic World Dominator.
Master of Remote Viewing. Level 5 expert in kOOkStudies.

[email protected] August 10th 15 06:51 PM

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 3:30:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a Japan NRD 525 which I love and is fairly uncomplicated to use, but very recently I've had severe static problems. And I am wondering if something is wrong with my long wire antennas, or is it in the radio? I have another older radio that I hooked up to my antennas and find there is no static so I am led to believe it is in the radio. Any thoughts or suggestion on where I can go to find out the source of the static, as it is really bad.
John Parrott

Thanks for the suggestions, but something really quirky happened. The static has gone away, and how and why, I don't know. I agree with Simon about the sound quality of the NRD 525, the inboard speaker is not up to par with Japan Radio components. I have a mint condition Panasonic RF-4900 that has excellent sound via inboard speaker and even better with phones. But the basic problem with static on my NRD 525 has gone away, and that has me puzzled.

Simon Mason[_3_] August 10th 15 07:18 PM

On Monday, 10 August 2015 18:51:36 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

A lot of things can cause this - I have a very powerful outside led security light and when it is on, it can trash the bands. Another thing is those dreadful switching power supplies - I had one powering a DAB radio, but had to get rid of it as the hash it made ruined vast portions of MF and HF. Maybe a neighbour was using a drill or some other device, but glad it's gone anyway.

BDK[_7_] August 11th 15 12:34 AM

[...]

Could have just been an intermittent problem and it might come back. I
would still suggest reseating all the boards in it. The internal speaker
on the 525/535/545 receivers is basically for testing purposes only. A
good external, and NOT one of the JRC speakers (Overpriced box with a
junk speaker in it) is a huge improvement. I took out the junk speaker
and added a nice sounding one and added a switchable high cut filter. My
first 525 had a lot of hiss, but the one I have now, a near end of
production one, doesn't have any.

[email protected] August 11th 15 01:09 AM

Japan NRD 525 static problems

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 7:34:55 PM UTC-4, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Re-setting all boards is a very common procedure in any case of electronic malfunction. Sometimes a thin layer of oxidation/corrosion develops at the pcb contact edges or the sockets on the mother board. On the subject of high hissing sound - this was also another typical JRC 'trademark'(and a poorly sounding muffled audio circuitry). Apparently there were some production runs where the gain controls of the IF circuitry were turned to the maximum.. This is not difficult to correct. Both of my JRCs (NRD-505 and NRD-535)had this problem when I first obtained them years ago...

Simon Mason[_3_] August 11th 15 05:53 PM

Japan NRD 525 static problems

On Tuesday, 11 August 2015 00:34:55 UTC+1, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

I have the NVA-88 speaker for the NRD 525, what speaker would you advise me to get to replace the one inside the box?

BDK[_7_] August 11th 15 07:53 PM

[...]

Wow, I did it too long ago, and the NVA-88 is gone now, so I would
suggest what I did back then. I went to the local car stereo places in
town and asked if they had any "junk" small speakers or one left out of
a pair, as some cars have, as mine does, 3 in the dash. I bought a left
over one from a pair for $10, and it sounded great.