Old August 10th 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default New posts

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to the group. I've been lurking a while. I wonder who actually reads this group. Not much going on here. Can you post a reply if you're reading this? Let's get some conversation going.

Old August 10th 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 18:45:58 -0700, 2511382 wrote:

+AD4 Hello,
+AD4
+AD4 I'm somewhat new to the group. I've been lurking a while. I wonder who actually reads this group. Not much going on here. Can you post a reply if you're reading this? Let's get some conversation going.

Where do you live? What kind of radio do you use? Do you find much to listen to?
Old August 10th 18, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello,

I live in North Carolina. I have several radios, including a kenwood ts-590, a lowe HF 150, grundig g5, and tecsun pl880. I use a 320 foot long beverage antenna beaming north. There are quite a few stations to listen to, and I've compiled a short list of 60 that are on the air daily.

How about yourself?
Old August 10th 18, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 14:05:29 -0700, 2511382 wrote:

+AD4 Hello,
+AD4
+AD4 I live in North Carolina. I have several radios, including a kenwood
ts-590, a lowe HF 150, grundig g5, and tecsun pl880. I use a 320 foot
long beverage antenna beaming north. There are quite a few stations to
listen to, and I've compiled a short list of 60 that are on the air
daily.
+AD4
+AD4
+AD4 How about yourself?

I live in the Chicago area. I have several Hallicrafters radios from the
40s and 50s but only the SX-99 and SX-62 are plugged in right now. I
also have a Radio Shack DX 440 in regular use, mostly for it's very nice
broadcast AM and FM radio.

I started listening around 1970, back when public diplomacy was thought
to be critical and the shortwave bands were packed as tightly as a Tokyo
commuter rail car. That and the dozens of Latin American locals which
could come drifting in late at night.

The explosion of domestic SW stations in the 90s and early 2000s gave an
outlet to a bunch of odd, normally unheard voices. Usually weird,
sometimes fascinating. I spend alot of time ridiculing these types but,
hey -- it takes all kinds.

The rise of the internet and the end of the Cold War have reduced SW
broadcasting to a shadow of it's former self. Over some afternoons in
the last few weeks, I've been catching some stuff that sounds like
Arabic, most likely from the mid-east. I like to tune around on Saturday
nights and see if there's any pirates to be heard.
Old August 11th 18, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 6:14:34 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
[...]

Very nice- Glad to see you posting here. I've gotten into SWL'ing recently, and especially over the past week with the #techshutdown of Alex Jones on Social media. I'm a free speech evangelist, and I agree with what he has been saying about free speech recently.

I started out listening to shortwave radio in the early 90's with a Realistic DX380. It was never a great radio, but it got me into listening a bit. I really wanted the 390, but never opted for it.

I have created a short list of 60 shortwave stations I've heard. I know this is a very abbreviated list, but have a look at it---

Sorry the formatting didn't come out better.

Frequency Callsign Location Website 3215 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 3265 WBCQ Monticello, ME www.wbcq.com 4840 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 5040 Radio Havana Havana, CU www.radiohc.cu/en 5085 WTWW Lebanon, TN www.wtww..com 5130 WBCQ Monticello, ME www.wbcq.com 5830 WTWW Lebanon, TN www.wtww.com 5850 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 5890 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 5935 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 5935 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 5950 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 5980 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 5985 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 6000 Radio Havana Havana, CU www.radiohc.cu/en 6020 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 6030 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 6090 Carribean Beacon 6115 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 6130 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 6145 Radio Havana Havana, CU www.radiohc.cu/en 6150 KBC Radio Netherlands www.kbcradio.eu 6170 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 7220 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 7310 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 7325 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 7345 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 7350 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 7375 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 7410 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 7490 WBCQ Monticello, ME www.wbcq.com 7520 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 7570 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 7730 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 7780 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 9330 WBCQ Monticello, ME www.wbcq.com 9350 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 9395 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 9455 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 9475 WTWW Lebanon, TN www.wtww.com 9620 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 9770 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 9800 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 9955 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 9980 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 11530 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net
11580 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 11775 Carribean Beacon 11790 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 11825 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net 12160 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 13845 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 15450 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 15460 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 15795 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr..com 15825 WWCR Nashville, TN www.wwcr.com 17650 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 17765 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 17780 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 21490 WRRI Romania www.rri.ro 21525 WRMI Okeechobee, FL www.wrmi.net

Old August 11th 18, 07:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 16:48:00 -0700, 2511382 wrote:

+AD4 I started out listening to shortwave radio in the early 90's with a
+AD4 Realistic DX380. It was never a great radio, but it got me into
+AD4 listening a bit. I really wanted the 390, but never opted for it.

Have you tried catching any of the European longwave stations? I'm
guessing reception conditions are better on the east coast than they are
in the midwest.

Way too much electrical noise here.
Old August 11th 18, 03:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 1:50:32 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 16:48:00 -0700, 2511382 wrote:

I started out listening to shortwave radio in the early 90's with a
Realistic DX380. It was never a great radio, but it got me into
listening a bit. I really wanted the 390, but never opted for it.

Have you tried catching any of the European longwave stations? I'm
guessing reception conditions are better on the east coast than they are
in the midwest.

Way too much electrical noise here.

mediumwaveradio.com/longwave.php
Old August 12th 18, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 2:50:32 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 16:48:00 -0700, 2511382 wrote:

I started out listening to shortwave radio in the early 90's with a
Realistic DX380. It was never a great radio, but it got me into
listening a bit. I really wanted the 390, but never opted for it.

Have you tried catching any of the European longwave stations? I'm
guessing reception conditions are better on the east coast than they are
in the midwest.

Way too much electrical noise here.

I'm in North Carolina- Lots of noise here as well, but I do listen to longwave in the evenings from mid fall to early Spring. You're right- Signals from Europe come in quite well in the evening during that time. Far to much noise right now though.

I mainly listen to the big stateside broadcasters during summer.
Old August 12th 18, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 8:02:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 2:50:32 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 16:48:00 -0700, 2511382 wrote:

I started out listening to shortwave radio in the early 90's with a
Realistic DX380. It was never a great radio, but it got me into
listening a bit. I really wanted the 390, but never opted for it.

Have you tried catching any of the European longwave stations? I'm
guessing reception conditions are better on the east coast than they are
in the midwest.

Way too much electrical noise here.

I'm in North Carolina- Lots of noise here as well, but I do listen to longwave in the evenings from mid fall to early Spring. You're right- Signals from Europe come in quite well in the evening during that time. Far to much noise right now though.

I mainly listen to the big stateside broadcasters during summer.

North Carolina, Atlantic Ocean signals are better at night. It is, or used to be, regular AM stations can be picked up from Europe in America.