RadioBanter

RadioBanter (https://www.radiobanter.com/)
-   Shortwave (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/)
-   -   WWVB eliminated, too? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/262172-wwvb-eliminated-too.html)

Frank[_14_] August 25th 18 03:07 PM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
The +ACI-TRUMP+ACI administration's planned elimination of WWV/WWVH popped up on NPR's Weekend Edition. Scott Simon interviewed Tom Witherspoon of the SWLing Post. Witherspoon said, as the bill is written, ALL of the time stations are scheduled to be gone. A spokesman for clockmaker LaCrosse said he believed that Congress would not pass a bill which killed the time sync for 50 million clocks.

Here's the link to Weekend Edition:

https://www.npr.org/programs/weekend...august-25-2018

Scroll down to:

What Closing A Government Radio Station Would Mean For Your Clocks

[email protected][_2_] August 25th 18 03:30 PM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 7:07:41 AM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
A spokesman for clockmaker LaCrosse said he believed that Congress would not
pass a bill which killed the time sync for 50 million clocks.

This Congress will do everything that the Orange Monster wants. For example, Congress was about to mandate human-readable paper ballots for the 2020 elections until the Russian Puppet opposed the concept of a verifiable recount.


Frank[_14_] August 25th 18 04:09 PM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 07:30:50 -0700, jfeng+AEA-my-deja.com wrote:

+AD4 On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 7:07:41 AM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
+AD4APg A spokesman for clockmaker LaCrosse said he believed that Congress would not
+AD4APg pass a bill which killed the time sync for 50 million clocks.
+AD4 This Congress will do everything that the Orange Monster wants. For example, Congress was about to mandate human-readable paper ballots for the 2020 elections until the Russian Puppet opposed the concept of a verifiable recount.

Let's not forget that non-verifiable elections are a State's Rights issue, too. I mean, what else can they do when the Feds are forcing them to allow Negroes the right to vote? MAGA+ACE

Maybe Fox News has clocks sync'd to WWVB. If so, they'll kill this in a heartbeat.


[email protected] August 26th 18 01:18 AM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
Perhaps the greatest news ever! Eliminate them all. Not needed today..

Michael Black[_3_] August 26th 18 01:38 AM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
On Sat, 25 Aug 2018, Frank wrote:

The "TRUMP" administration's planned elimination of WWV/WWVH popped up
on NPR's Weekend Edition. Scott Simon interviewed Tom Witherspoon of
the SWLing Post. Witherspoon said, as the bill is written, ALL of the
time stations are scheduled to be gone. A spokesman for clockmaker
LaCrosse said he believed that Congress would not pass a bill which
killed the time sync for 50 million clocks.

Here's the link to Weekend Edition:

https://www.npr.org/programs/weekend...august-25-2018

Scroll down to:

What Closing A Government Radio Station Would Mean For Your Clocks

As a foreigner, it's hard to follow this. What I thought was going on was
that the US government told NIST they have to cut some things, so this is
what the NIST decided wasn't "valuable".

But it's propagated badly. One site says WWV/WWVH, and others include
WWVB, while other sites say "WWVB seems to be not included". I think WWVB
wasn't mentioned by name in the original document (I haven't read it all),
but is done because it does mention self setting clocks in some way.

ANd the problem is that while WWV and WWVH mean a lot to radio hobbyists,
reality is that a lot of the purpose of those stations, nostalgia aside,
have been replaced by other things. Even in 1971, when Heathkit
introduced its first frequency counter, they suggested that the crystal
time base could be beated against a local broadcast station to get it
"right on". There can be disadvantages to that, WWV would leave some
space in the minute with only ticks to make beating easier, but surely
nowadays local AM broadcast stations are even more accurately on frequency
than fifty years ago.

But WWVB, kind of hidden in all this, is used by endless consumer clocks.
I can remember when there were projects in the hobby magazines to make use
of WWVB, mostly as a frequency standard, and then at some ponit 20 or
maybe 30 years ago, suddenly lots of consumer clocks that used it to set
their time, and they just kept getting cheaper. I paid about $20 ten
years ago for my Casio Waveceptor watch, and it's useful in multiple
countries, not just the US. Not only are those common, but just a few
years ago NIST added a second modulation scheme, to improve the station's
useage in "fringe" areas, though you needed a new clock to make use of
that second modulation scheme. At that point, they said that WWVB is no
longer seen as a frequency standard, but exists for the purpose of setting
all those clocks in consumer use.

But it's been vague and depending on how you look at it, maybe WWVB isn't
included, while from another angle, the fact that it's not specifically
mentioned either means ignoring the most important part of this cutback,
or an indicator that it's not included.

I've seen followup messages saying "oops, we checked with NIST and WWVB is
included".

But if you check google, this is not a mainstream story. It's a radio
hobbyist story, so the most important message may not be getting out. I
mentioned that in a comment at Thomas's swling.com blog and he added
anotehr post specifically dealing with WWVB, and presumably from that got
on NPR. That is still the most mainstream place that's covering this
story.

I realize most people don't need accurate time. But the funny thnig is,
in "the old days" an average home would have a few clocks and some
watches. But the move to digital meant endless things included clocks,
the micorwave, the tv set, maybe that stereo system, the MP3 player, the
computer and so on. The exact time doesn't matter, but suddenly instead
of having a single clock in the house, you've got multiple clocks, and
most of them aren't on the same time, either because setting them is too
much trouble, or they drift badly. Which clock is "most right" in terms
of time? If you had only one, you'd assume it was good enough, but once
you have clocks everywhere, it nags at you. I think that's the context of
WWVB clocks, it doesn't completely solve the problem until every clock is
self setting, but it gives you one clock that is always "right". I ahve a
few, and the Casio watch, and they always show the same time if they've
been self-setting properly.

This will take this away.

Michael


Frank[_14_] August 26th 18 12:28 PM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 17:18:10 -0700, 2511382 wrote:

+AD4 Perhaps the greatest news ever+ACE Eliminate them all. Not needed today..

Have you no compassion? Sooner or later, half the +ACI-TRUMP+ACI crime family
will be in prison. But what of the other half? They will find
themselves TOTALLY unprepared for a non-grifter lifestyle. Should all of
them also be +ACI-eliminated+ACI?

The need for the continuation of WWV now becomes obvious. Give the non-
convicted members of the +ACI-TRUMP+ACI crime family a small device with a
button marked +ACI-TIME+ACI. Tell them that their new +ACI-workfare+ACI job is that at
least ONE member of the +ACI-TRUMP+ACI crime family MUST press the TIME button
at EXACTLY the top of each of minute EVERY day. Tell them their button
is directly connected to the WWV and WWVH shortwave transmitters and the
entire world DEPENDS on them for the CORRECT TIME.

Of course, the TIME button would be a +ACI-TRUMP+ACI-ian idiotic lie, the kind of
+ACI-TRUMP+ACI-ian idiotic lie that simple minded people believe when said with
absolute conviction.

Make no mistake, there is no room for stupid or incompetent or corrupt
official timekeeping in America. But the button would help these people
believe that, for the first time, they were actually making a
contribution to the betterment of other people's lives.


[email protected] August 26th 18 04:11 PM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 6:28:10 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 17:18:10 -0700, 2511382 wrote:

Perhaps the greatest news ever! Eliminate them all. Not needed today..


Have you no compassion? Sooner or later, half the "TRUMP" crime family
will be in prison. But what of the other half? They will find
themselves TOTALLY unprepared for a non-grifter lifestyle. Should all of
them also be "eliminated"?

The need for the continuation of WWV now becomes obvious. Give the non-
convicted members of the "TRUMP" crime family a small device with a
button marked "TIME". Tell them that their new "workfare" job is that at
least ONE member of the "TRUMP" crime family MUST press the TIME button
at EXACTLY the top of each of minute EVERY day. Tell them their button
is directly connected to the WWV and WWVH shortwave transmitters and the
entire world DEPENDS on them for the CORRECT TIME.

Of course, the TIME button would be a "TRUMP"ian idiotic lie, the kind of
"TRUMP"ian idiotic lie that simple minded people believe when said with
absolute conviction.

Make no mistake, there is no room for stupid or incompetent or corrupt
official timekeeping in America. But the button would help these people
believe that, for the first time, they were actually making a
contribution to the betterment of other people's lives.


Best 'Clocks' are Sundials and the Stars. Set your clocks by them. Make a tiny matchbox Sundial, use a compass to properly line it up with the Sun. ....Youtube Fred Dibnah ;;Any of y'all katz in Limeyland? What are those squarish looking 'bread' looking things, one in each package. Fred Dibnah took his family to a foodstore, he bought about half a dozen of those things and then he threw them on a table so his family could have lunch. That pizzed his wife off!

Michael Black[_3_] August 26th 18 04:52 PM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018, wrote:

On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 6:28:10 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 17:18:10 -0700, 2511382 wrote:

Perhaps the greatest news ever! Eliminate them all. Not needed today..


Have you no compassion? Sooner or later, half the "TRUMP" crime family
will be in prison. But what of the other half? They will find
themselves TOTALLY unprepared for a non-grifter lifestyle. Should all of
them also be "eliminated"?

The need for the continuation of WWV now becomes obvious. Give the non-
convicted members of the "TRUMP" crime family a small device with a
button marked "TIME". Tell them that their new "workfare" job is that at
least ONE member of the "TRUMP" crime family MUST press the TIME button
at EXACTLY the top of each of minute EVERY day. Tell them their button
is directly connected to the WWV and WWVH shortwave transmitters and the
entire world DEPENDS on them for the CORRECT TIME.

Of course, the TIME button would be a "TRUMP"ian idiotic lie, the kind of
"TRUMP"ian idiotic lie that simple minded people believe when said with
absolute conviction.

Make no mistake, there is no room for stupid or incompetent or corrupt
official timekeeping in America. But the button would help these people
believe that, for the first time, they were actually making a
contribution to the betterment of other people's lives.


Best 'Clocks' are Sundials and the Stars. Set your clocks by them. Make
a tiny matchbox Sundial, use a compass to properly line it up with the
Sun. ...Youtube Fred Dibnah ;;Any of y'all katz in Limeyland? What are
those squarish looking 'bread' looking things, one in each package. Fred
Dibnah took his family to a foodstore, he bought about half a dozen of
those things and then he threw them on a table so his family could have
lunch. That pizzed his wife off!

I don't think that's going to work.

I found a small book at a used book sale a few years ago, maybe titled
"Chronograph". It was about the need time in order to navigate. One of
them, longitude or latitude, required accurate time, and ships didn't have
that. Hence an effort to create a very accurate clock, which was also
portable.

WWV meant you didn't need that accurate clock, just a shortwave radio to
let you know when to check the stars or sun.

Michael


[email protected][_2_] August 26th 18 05:32 PM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 8:53:52 AM UTC-7, Michael Black wrote:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018, wrote:

(a bunch of drivel by allisellis851 @ gmail.com ; I am surprised you bother to read them)


I don't think that's going to work.

I found a small book at a used book sale a few years ago, maybe titled
"Chronograph". It was about the need time in order to navigate. One of
them, longitude or latitude, required accurate time, and ships didn't have
that. Hence an effort to create a very accurate clock, which was also
portable.

I think you may mean "Longitude", which tells the story of how, in 1761, John Harrison invented the first chronometer that was capable of meeting the Royal Navy's challenge. It is a book and a movie available on DVD. Four of his clocks are on display at the museum of the Naval Observatory Greenwich, and three of them are kept running.

Frank[_14_] August 26th 18 05:54 PM

WWVB eliminated, too?
 
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 11:52:05 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

+AD4 I don't think that's going to work.
+AD4
+AD4 I found a small book at a used book sale a few years ago, maybe titled
+AD4 +ACI-Chronograph+ACI. It was about the need time in order to navigate. One of
+AD4 them, longitude or latitude, required accurate time, and ships didn't
+AD4 have that. Hence an effort to create a very accurate clock, which was
+AD4 also portable.
+AD4
+AD4 WWV meant you didn't need that accurate clock, just a shortwave radio to
+AD4 let you know when to check the stars or sun.
+AD4
+AD4 Michael

According to my first WRTH, the US Naval station, NSS, was supposed to be
broadcasting time signals. My morse skills were, and are, nonexistent
but I was able to ID NSS. Didn't hear anything which sounded like any
signals which coordinated with WWV. Might have been obsolete info by
then.

WWV used to be coordinated with the US Naval Observatory in Annapolis.
Atomic clocks got better than observatories and that was that for that.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
RadioBanter.com