RadioBanter

-   -   Strange signal on the 40 meter band at 7035.50 kHz (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/266969-strange-signal-40-meter-band-7035-50-khz.html)

fred k. engelsĀ®[_58_] December 19th 18 11:45 AM

Strange signal on the 40 meter band at 7035.50 kHz

HEY GUYS WE HAVE A MYSTERY

CAN YOU HELP OUT THE FINE FOLKS AT ENIGMA2000?

CHECK THIS OUT IT'S REALLY COOL (NO GOAT, THOUGH)

I was transmitting Digital SSTV on the 40 meter band last Saturday
morning when I spotted a strange signal in the waterfall of the Web SDR
that I was running on my Chrome browser (I always keep an SDR open as
I'm transmitting as I like to watch the images appear on the waterfall
as I am sending them).

I'm not sure if I was tuned to the proper frequency or not, and I tried
both USB and LSB. I suspect that this is likely someone doing a radio
test of some kind. Tuned via the Web SDR located in Newport, Oregon,
USA.

Video of the signal he https://youtu.be/rxTn0P8lsrA

As can be seen on the UTC widget running at the top right of the video
screen, I first noticed this signal at approximately 1715 UTC, Saturday,
December 15, 2018.

I've posted about this video on the HF Underground website under the
section for "HF Mystery Signals" which can be read he
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/...c,48985.0.html

So far, I've had others try to guess what this signal is. I originally
thought that it was someone else sending out Digital SSTV waterfall
images, but after tuning to the signal, I quickly realized that was not
the case. So far, others have suggested RFI from some source, such as a
home appliance (washing machine) to some sort of timer set for a
mechanical pump to the Feld Hell digital mode (which I don't believe is
the case) to something possibly like the HAARP transmissions.

I personally suspect that this was likely some sort of test being run
by a radio amateur. I base my opinion on the fact that the signal was
located in the area set aside on the 40m amateur band for the United
States, specifically for sending/receiving digital modes of all types.
The signal only transmitted for the length of time of up to and over 10
minutes in the video that I recorded. I monitored the signal for the
rest of the day and it only transmitted sporadically after that, and
then only five or six cycles of the signal were sent (timing them you
can see that each cycle is a roughly six second transmission with a
pause of about two seconds between) and then it would stop again, often
for hours. It did, however, continue to sporadically transmit for the
rest of the day and evening.

Also, at one point during the day on Saturday, I opened up three
separate Web SDRs, all tuned to the same signal. One SDR was located
in Newport, Oregon, USA (the SDR on which I originally spotted the
signal and which is the one you see in the video), another was in
Weiser, Idaho, and the third was in Sunnyvale, California. When the
strange signal began transmitting again on the Oregon SDR, I noticed
that the signal was *not* appearing on the other two SDRs. Not the
greatest feat of triangulation, but it did lead me to believe that the
signal was likely originating in or very close to the State of Oregon.

This may be nothing but a one-off anomaly of some sort. But this video
has generated a lot of interest on my YouTube channel and I wanted to
ask you pros what your opinions are.