RadioBanter

-   -   DC to light recommendation? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/37008-dc-light-recommendation.html)

Steve Cohen July 2nd 03 07:18 AM

DC to light recommendation?

Any recommendations on the best products to achieve as complete a range of
reception and transmission as possible? All band, all mode, CW, VLF, Low
Band, VHF, UHF, AM aircraft, etc.? Kenwood TS-2000? Harris? Is there an
all-in-one radio? I've got six old radios (tube sets mostly) to accomplish
this, and would like to get more space and tech efficient. I just don't
know the new products. Suggestions?

The Dawn Soliloquy July 2nd 03 05:53 PM

I doubt that an adequate performer can be had that spans HF to UHF (and
beyond). The wider the spectrum that the radio can receive, the more problems
that is has with intermod and sensitivity. I have the Uniden 785D and it is
literally wiped out by intermod in my neighborhood, I need to use a stubby
antenna just to keep the intermod to a manageable point. I also have the
handheld transceiver by Yaesu, the VX-5R, it is also wiped by intermod.

I would imagine that receivers, of adequate quality, designed for a more
narrow range of coverage, would be much better performers than a wideband
coverage receiver. I also believe that the large scale integration of
circuitry on modern sets is creating problems that were less apparent on
earlier transistorized and tubes sets.

In other words, several pieces of specialized communication equipment are
likely to perform better than most wideband receivers.

My opinion.

Regards.

In article , "Steve Cohen"
wrote:
Any recommendations on the best products to achieve as complete a range of
reception and transmission as possible? All band, all mode, CW, VLF, Low
Band, VHF, UHF, AM aircraft, etc.? Kenwood TS-2000? Harris? Is there an
all-in-one radio? I've got six old radios (tube sets mostly) to accomplish
this, and would like to get more space and tech efficient. I just don't
know the new products. Suggestions?

"Humans do have an amazing capacity for believing what they choose."

"There's a certain inefficiency in constantly questioning me on things
you've already made up your mind about."

"Won't you change your mind?"
"Is there something wrong with the one I have?"

"After a time, you may find that 'having' is not so pleasing a thing, after all,
as 'wanting.' It is not logical, but it is often true."

Radioman390 July 2nd 03 10:13 PM

best products to achieve as complete a range of
reception and transmission as possible? All band, all mode, CW, VLF, Low
Band, VHF, UHF, AM aircraft, etc.?

Icom 8500
Watkins-Johnson (several models)

matt weber July 3rd 03 11:32 AM

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:18:19 GMT, "Steve Cohen"
wrote:

Any recommendations on the best products to achieve as complete a range of
reception and transmission as possible? All band, all mode, CW, VLF, Low
Band, VHF, UHF, AM aircraft, etc.? Kenwood TS-2000? Harris? Is there an
all-in-one radio? I've got six old radios (tube sets mostly) to accomplish
this, and would like to get more space and tech efficient. I just don't
know the new products. Suggestions?

Take a look at the ICOM 8500, the 9000 is better, but new one's aren't
for sale to the general public.

Rick Kunath July 3rd 03 01:03 PM

Take a look at the AR5000 Plus3 by AOR.

http://www.aoruk.com/ar5000.htm

Rick

Michael Moore July 4th 03 04:12 AM

wrote:

Any recommendations on the best products to achieve as complete a range of
reception and transmission as possible? All band, all mode, CW, VLF, Low
Band, VHF, UHF, AM aircraft, etc.? Kenwood TS-2000? Harris? Is there an
all-in-one radio? I've got six old radios (tube sets mostly) to accomplish
this, and would like to get more space and tech efficient. I just don't
know the new products. Suggestions?

Take a look at the ICOM 8500, the 9000 is better, but new one's aren't
for sale to the general public.

The R9000 was discontinued -- not sure that there are any
new ones around.

--
M2

Gregg July 4th 03 05:39 AM

Behold, Steve Cohen scribbled:

Any recommendations on the best products to achieve as complete a range
of reception and transmission as possible? All band, all mode, CW, VLF,
Low Band, VHF, UHF, AM aircraft, etc.? Kenwood TS-2000? Harris? Is
there an all-in-one radio? I've got six old radios (tube sets mostly)
to accomplish this, and would like to get more space and tech efficient.
I just don't know the new products. Suggestions?

I just read on their site, Toronto Surplus and Scientific has a rig that
receives from 200KHz to 10.6GHz. I think it was around $2K USD though. DC
to daylight for ya?

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

Blem July 4th 03 06:48 AM

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:03:35 +0000, Rick Kunath wrote:

Take a look at the AR5000 Plus3 by AOR.

http://www.aoruk.com/ar5000.htm

Rick

Not that good on HF. Also has selectivity problems. General good receiver
but having one radio for HF and another for VHF/UHF would be better

rjohnson July 4th 03 07:14 AM

Still selling the Icom 9000's in Oz.

But at $21k AU it would want to be one heck of a rig!

http://www.atrc.com.au/icr9000l.htm

As for the AR5000 i find mine to be an excellent 'All rounder' VLF is great
and i can copy many Submarine data signals from 11khz and up ,as for HF it
out does my R-75 (With DSP) on most signals (Notice i said most!), and i
must say that if my NRD 545 didn't have DSP or all the extra 'gadgets'
(Adjustable Filters ,AGC etc etc), to clean up signals i would put the
5000's HF ability fairly close to it!

On VHF and UHF the 5000 is simply amazing ,i have yet to find anything
better in this range.

Bottom line is if you want a radio that does 'all' you would be hard pressed
to find a better radio than the AR5000 ,sure a 'Decent' dedicated HF rig
will out preform the 5000 but if you just want to hear whats going on and
not out after ther most weakest ,cleanest signal on HF and combined with DC
to Daylight features then the 5000 is a beauty and does it all really well.

Rick.

"Blem" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:03:35 +0000, Rick Kunath wrote:

Take a look at the AR5000 Plus3 by AOR.

http://www.aoruk.com/ar5000.htm

Rick

Not that good on HF. Also has selectivity problems. General good receiver
but having one radio for HF and another for VHF/UHF would be better

---

Eric F. Richards July 4th 03 02:14 PM

"rjohnson" wrote:

Bottom line is if you want a radio that does 'all' you would be hard pressed
to find a better radio than the AR5000 ,sure a 'Decent' dedicated HF rig
will out preform the 5000 but if you just want to hear whats going on and
not out after ther most weakest ,cleanest signal on HF and combined with DC
to Daylight features then the 5000 is a beauty and does it all really well.

Rick.

I'd counter with the ICOM R-8500. Its sole weakness is the filters.
On all other counts -- stability, sensitivity, flexibility, ultimate
rejection, ease of use, etc -- I think it's a superior radio.

However, if one were to go with separates, and one didn't need
trunking or digital capability, the ICOM would be the V/U/SHF radio of
choice for me. I have 8 HF radios ranging from the R-75 to the
Ten-Tec RX-340 and the '8500 is a very good radio.

....as for its filters, well, external audio DSP is helpful there.

Eric

--
Eric F. Richards

"The weird part is that I can feel productive even when I'm doomed."
- Dilbert