RadioBanter

-   -   In $300 price range, what's better... a used Drake R8, or refurbed Grundig 800? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/37022-re-%24300-price-range-whats-better-used-drake-r8-refurbed-grundig-800-a.html)

Paul July 2nd 03 09:52 PM

In $300 price range, what's better... a used Drake R8, or refurbed Grundig 800?

Hi Matt,
I just bought one of these brand new, third generation, on ebay for
$350. You might want to take a look there..
Paul

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:21:07 GMT, (Matt
K.) wrote:

Hi everyone.... I have been an avid listener of shortwave for years,
and would like to upgrade from an introductory level tabletop (Radio
Shack DX-394) which I currently own to a decent tabletop receiver. I
would primarily use it for prrogram listening, and DXing MW and
shortwave signals.

I have a budget of about $300-$350, and after doing a fair amount of
research, it looks like my two best choices would be a used Drake R8,
or a used Grundig Satellite 800. I understand the Drake generally
has a better reputation, but on the other hand if I get one of those
it would probably be 10 years old or so, while the 800 gets good
reviews too and would be younger, however not quite in the same league
as the R8.

Any advice or information from personal experience would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks!

Matt