RadioBanter

-   -   MW loop ribbon cable? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/37257-mw-loop-ribbon-cable.html)

Ron Hardin July 15th 03 01:08 AM

MW loop ribbon cable?

Does anybody know the circle size for ribbon cable (.05" spacing)
tuning the MW band with 365pf var cap?

I have 10, 14, 16, 20, and 25 conductor ribbon cable (28 ga. wire)
so diameters for any of those.

There's always cut and try but maybe somebody has done it.
--
Ron Hardin

The Axelrods July 15th 03 03:40 AM

I have not used ribbon cable but have plans on the AMANDX site below for
a box loop......maybe it will work
--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

donut July 15th 03 06:40 AM

The Axelrods wrote in
:

I have not used ribbon cable but have plans on the AMANDX site below for
a box loop......maybe it will work
--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Mark Connelly had an article online for a ribbon cable loop but it's gone.
Remember, Shawn? ;)

Ex-EDXR editor.

Tammy Troot July 15th 03 09:10 AM

Hi Ron,
I made one out of 10 conductor ribbon several years ago and the
diameter was around 15 inches.
The design was from Short Wave Mag. I recall.
Regards
Tom

---

RHF July 15th 03 09:02 PM

RH,

1. The Portable 3 Foot Ribbon Cable Loop
This article describes how to construct a loop from ribbon cable.
GoTo= http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/ribbonloop.htm
"Introduction - One idea that has been suggested for constructing a
loop is to use ribbon cable, with a winding spacing of 0.050 inch, to
consturct the loop. I saw a loop antenna article at one time that
recommended the use of flat ribbon cable, and showed how to make a
loop by using the ribbon cable, offset by one pin, on two "D" style
connectors, and plugging together to form the loop. I have never seen
that article again, so I suspect it has been removed from the web. So
I thought I would resurrect the idea.

2. The Umbrella Loop Antenna.
GoTo= http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_ante...brellaloop.htm
"The Umbrella Loop Concept - I saw the answer in an everyday object
that just about everybody owns - an umbrella. Like my "ideal" loop, it
needs to have a large deployed shape, yet needs to be lightweight
enough to carry, and needs to fold to a compact form that is easy to
store. It needs to deploy quickly. It has many characteristics in
common with what I want for loop! But - could I make a loop antenna
based on the umbrella design? I cannot use umbrella hardware directly,
because it is metal. But - I found a way to use wood instead for the
supports, and a minimum of metal used near the center of the
mechanism."

NOTE: The WebPages = http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/
- - - Is "Bruce Carter"

3. Superloop receiving antenna for 136kHz
GoTo= http://web.ukonline.co.uk/g3ldo/loop.htm
"About a year ago I made a receiving loop for 136kHz using computer
ribbon cable housed in plastic waste pipe."

4. Receiving 'Loop Antenna' for the "HeyPhone" (Cave Radio)
GoTo= http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/~arb/hey...phone-loop.pdf

Check-Out the Loop Antennas eGroup on YAHOO!

~ RHF
..
..
= = = Ron Hardin

Joe July 15th 03 09:45 PM

Like said the capacitance gets to high, you have to Mobius wind or forget it
!!
See http://www.electronics-tutorials.com...us-winding.htm

-Joe

donut July 16th 03 10:16 AM

"Joe" wrote in
:

Like said the capacitance gets to high, you have to Mobius wind or
forget it

No way to mobius wind a ribbon loop, Joe.