RadioBanter

-   -   BBC Internet (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/37350-bbc-internet.html)

Pryor Taylor July 21st 03 05:39 AM

BBC Internet

Have not been able to access any BBC sites, except BBCAmerica, now for
several days.
Not a single individual on my ISP can access the BBC sites, yet
individuals on other ISP's just a few miles away have no trouble at all.

I am now seeing people on this newsgroup experiencing BBC problems as
well, and recognize one person using a Michigan ISP with problems too.
I received a reply to an e-mail sent to the BBC Internet Service today
and was told that the BBC Internet System was running without any
problems.
This all leads me to think that there is a routing problem with some
ISP's getting around the glitch.
First we lose BBC shortwave broadcasts directed to North America, then
C-Span terminates (says that the contract has expired) BBC World Service
audio on satellite Satcom C3 transponder 7, and now there appears to be
something wrong with accessing the BEEB via the internet.
Maybe there is something more to Mr. Kelly's death than meets the eye.

Sanjaya July 21st 03 09:52 AM

"Pryor Taylor" wrote...
Have not been able to access any BBC sites, except BBCAmerica, now for
several days.

[snip]

These 3 loaded normally for me just now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/index.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/worldse...cheduleSDT.cgi

gs July 21st 03 10:28 AM

"Pryor Taylor" wrote in message

This all leads me to think that there is a routing problem with some
ISP's getting around the glitch.

Trace your path to news.bbc.co.uk (212.58.240.38) and see
how far you get. That will tell you where the routing issue might be.

For Windows, use "tracert" from the command/dos prompt.

tracert 212.58.240.38

The BBC website is loading just fine on my end in Hawaii.

Gregg July 21st 03 11:59 AM

Yup, I can get it here too in Vancouver, Canada.

It's an issue with your ISP or there's a dead router in between.

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*