Old August 5th 03, 03:26 AM
Warpcore

Default Please explain the difference

Between a balanced line and unbalanced line in a shortwave receiver.

My antenna connects via alligator clips to the center conductor of a piece
of coax that connects to the receiver, radio shack dx 394.

The antenna works fairly well, given that I can connect what I want.
However, some times the static from the power lines and flourescent street
lights is really nasty, and I think I have read that an unbalanced line can
be rid of most intereference if it s balanced, but not being an amateur
radio operator, I am at a loss to undesrstand the difference between
balanced and unbalanced lines and this place seems to be one where I can ask
the question s. THANKS.

Old August 5th 03, 10:05 PM
tom Holden

"Warpcore" wrote in message rthlink.net...
Between a balanced line and unbalanced line in a shortwave receiver.

My antenna connects via alligator clips to the center conductor of a piece
of coax that connects to the receiver, radio shack dx 394.

The antenna works fairly well, given that I can connect what I want.
However, some times the static from the power lines and flourescent street
lights is really nasty, and I think I have read that an unbalanced line can
be rid of most intereference if it s balanced, but not being an amateur
radio operator, I am at a loss to undesrstand the difference between
balanced and unbalanced lines and this place seems to be one where I can ask
the question s. THANKS.

If you're not yet a member, you're invited to join the 445 member
special interest group for the DX-394 at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RADIOSHACKDX394/.

Tom
Old August 5th 03, 10:34 PM
Warpcore

Many thanks for the invite, Tom, but I will refrain. Everytime I join a
yahoo group I am inundated with some really nasty spam S.

"tom Holden" wrote in message
m...

rthlink.net...

Old August 6th 03, 04:57 AM
tom Holden

"Warpcore" wrote in message rthlink.net...
Many thanks for the invite, Tom, but I will refrain. Everytime I join a
yahoo group I am inundated with some really nasty spam S.

Anyone can view, so have a look at the message archive. Only members
can post and memberships are moderated so spam in the group is minimal
and promptly dealt with by deleting the offending membership and
messages. It's a much more focussed and polite community than will be
found in many unmoderated newsgroups. I can't speak for what Yahoo
does with the member lists.

[snip]