RadioBanter

-   -   Communication During Blackout (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/37775-communication-during-blackout.html)

WShoots1 August 18th 03 12:58 AM

When there is an immediate threat to life or property, anyone can legally use
anything to summon help. I'm talking about things like a heart attack or fire
here. On the high seas, it would be a Mayday call.

I don't think it's practical, though, to carry an unauthorized ham rig or
police radio for an emergency that will probably not happen. But use of an
authorized person's radio, when that person is incapacitated, is okay.

By the way... Cingular service in the Galveston area is still overloaded. I
guess the Houston hub continues to be busy.

Bill, K5BY
T2GB040061

[email protected] August 18th 03 01:43 AM

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:25:21 -0700, Trooperdude Trooperdude in rec.radio.scanner - :

There is also sutff like Vonage and the other voice over IP
"appliances" you attach to your broadband connection for phone
service, however VONAGE over something like DirecWay satellite would
be a good emergency backup, as long as you could provide your own
power.

I hope this was suppose to be a joke, cause it is funny as hell trying to
imagine VOIP going on through a DirecWay.

Steve Stone August 18th 03 02:59 AM

And in the end the governments of the world will sell off the bands.
Thanks to all the loosers!

Heck, It will give the cranky old farts more time to complain about their
hemorrhoids on the internet.

Frank August 18th 03 03:05 AM

Offbreed ...

^ Frank wrote:
^ Markeau ...
^ ^ Would the FCC prosecute someone for using a ham rig
^ ^ without a license if there were no other way to
^ ^ communicate that ... "emergency" help was needed?
^ A radio tuned to your local police department would get
^ quicker help.

^ Come up on a cop freq?
^
^ That's not *all* you'll get.

You'll get the same if you came up on any frequency you aren't licensed to
transmit on. Cop frequencies are no different, except that you'll get help
faster.

Frank

Richard G Amirault August 18th 03 04:00 AM

In rec.radio.scanner mad amoeba wrote:
(all of it snipped)

Sorry, if this has been mentioned (I can't read all 60 replies) but ..

While the radio in question can recieve shortwave, it can't transmit
there (and even if you could modify it to .. it would still only be FM and
low powered)

Without "repeaters" a hand held ham radio is very, very limited in range.

There are other possibilites .. such as the Yaesu 817, but you'd need a
higher class of ham licence and (realistically) a bigger, better antenna
(and a lot of luck) for HF (High Frequency .. aka 'shortwave')
communications.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

erniegalts August 18th 03 04:17 AM

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:57:20 GMT, KB9WFK wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:21:51 -0500, "Markeau"
wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

You need a license if you want to transmit legally.

Would the FCC prosecute someone for using a ham rig without a license
if there were no other way to communicate that someone was injured or
other "emergency" help was needed? Seems like a mobile ham rig would
be a nice backup in such cases.

As long as it is a true emergency then anyone can use any frequency
available to them. Just 'injured' may not be enough, but any life
threatening situation will justify it. That includes police freqs.

AFIK, that is correct.

However, as has been pointed out before, "the devil is in the
details".

Can you "prove" that you needed to use these frequencies? If you
stop to help a victim of a road accident, can you "prove" that it was
necessary to move him? [Yeah, he may have run into a tree, his car
is on fire, but can you safely drag him out? Depends on whether your
state has a "Good Samaritan Law" perhaps?]

Can person "A" legally kill person "B"? Depends on the
circumstances, actually.

"You are behaving like a troll, disguising your attacks as reasonable
discussion."
'Alan Connor'

Ah well, whatever you think I suppose. How long have you posted on
misc.survivalism?

erniegalts

Bob Brock August 18th 03 04:20 AM

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 03:01:27 GMT, erniegalts
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:30:33 -0400, Bob Brock
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:13:23 GMT, erniegalts
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 04:07:28 -0400, Bob Brock
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:51:40 GMT, erniegalts
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 06:54:36 GMT, Hagbard Celine
wrote:

Bob Brock wrote:

General Class license still requires a Morse Code test. Morse has not
been "wiped." It has however, been lowered for the two higher class
licenses from 13 and 20 wpm to 5 wpm for both licenses. Morse is not
required for the Technician license which give full priviliges on
VHF/UHF.

So, once again ernie, you are wrong.

Not required here for some years now, at least for what you are
calling a "Technician license" which covers 2 metres and is useful for
communication in that band.

Are you going to call me wrong on this issue???

Please advise.

Which issue do you want me to call you wrong on ernie? The first
piece of inaccurate information that you posted of this metamorphisis
of it?

On your initial statement, yes you were wrong. In case you forgot
this was your initial statement...

"Not difficult to get an amateur license these days now that the code
requirement has been wiped. Anyone who knows a bit about radio should
be able to study the regs and pass an exam allowing VHF operation on 2
metres, and the "general class" [ or "full call" ] exam is not that
much harder."

Don't know the siatuation there, Brock, but the requirement has been
wiped here

So, you are telling the guy in the NE US to move to Oz to get his
license? BTW, that news article was only a month ago. Does the
government in Oz move that fast? I don't think so....

Dunno if they have or not, haven't bothered to check. The issue is
that you have accused me of being in error, and I have proved you
wrong.

No you haven't ernie. Morse Code is still required for amatuer HF in
the US where he lived.

You cannot logically blame me if you refuse to keep up with current
news on such issues, and this was more than a month ago.

Perhaps you don't belong to the ARRL, or perhaps they haven't
mentioned this issue?

Or perhaps since neither he nor I live in Oz, I simply don't care
ernie. You are so binary in your thinking.

KB9WFK August 18th 03 04:36 AM

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:47:57 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
wrote:

Most all the hand-held amateur radio equipment, is almost useless without
the aid of a repeater station.

That is a rather broad statement. It depends greatly on where you
live (or are) in relation to where you want to talk to. I live in a
very ham dense area and can make dozens of contacts on simplex.

I don't know how many repeaters are backed
up by emergency power supplies. I would hope most of them, but if they're
not, don't plan on reaching anyone more than a couple miles away.

Glancing through the repeater directory, I'd guess about a third of
them.
How do you define, "a couple of miles"? My Icom T2H (a 7 Watt hand
held) can make it from my house to the repeater 18 miles away. If I
can hit that repeater then I can talk to anyone between it and me on
simplex, and that is with the rubber duck antenna. Using a home made
twin-lead J-Pole antenna I talked on the repeater from downtown
Chicago which is a 36 miles trip.
On 2 Meters, get your antenna high and you can really reach out.
Height is Might.

H.F. equipment, on the other hand, is usually at least 50~100 watts, and has
the ability to reach extremely long distances, without the need of a
repeater.

Wattage doesn't mean a whole lot with HF because it isn't the power
that enables the longer distances. My 2 Meter rigs at home are 50
Watts. Actually, most HF rigs are 5 to 10 Watts and an external amp
will be used to increase power. Depending on conditions, you can talk
all 50 states with 10 Watts on HF.

When you think about it, standard C.B. radio equipment should do well,
providing there is someone available on the other end.

IF you are in an area with CB users and IF they are helpful and not
just kids wanting to screw around. Also, CB, being limited to 4 Watts
is typicallty very short range. If you are in an area with a lot of
CB users that are 'adult' and use it as a tool then it may be the
proper answer. Same for FRS and GMRS. Where I am, CB is worthless
due to the people that use it. If you can't top someone elses signal
then you aren't going to talk.

Bill Crocker

KB9WFK

KB9WFK August 18th 03 04:49 AM

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:08:19 -0400, Rex Tincher
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:12:21 GMT, "mad amoeba" wrote:

snip
As far as I understand this is an handheld ham radio

So it requires a ham radio license. Scroll down the page at
http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html
for info on getting a ham license.

which also functions as
a scanner and
can also receive on a shortwave band. So it will allow me to communicate
with people
far away even in urban setting, it is portable and it will also allow me to
monitor news as
well as police/firefighters etc. Am I right?

Yes. Except that 2 meter and 440 MHz radios, especially small ones,
have limited range of only a few miles. They depend on repeaters to
relay their messages long distances, and the repeaters run on electric
power.

How do you define "a few miles"? Like I said in another post, I can
go 18 miles on my 7 Watt 2 Meter HT. Put a decent antenna on it and I
can talk a lot further. Our club repeater has over a 50 mile range
and only puts out 25 Watts.
Depending on usage, our repeater can go 4 or 5 days with no outside
power.

KB9WFK

Yaesu VX-2R
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0176.html

snip

KB9WFK August 18th 03 04:55 AM

wrote:

Bob Brock wrote:

[...]

Me either, and I doubt they would take it upon themselves to go
against international treaty to do so.

mad amoeba August 18th 03 03:31 PM

i glad to hear at least someone cares about their costumers. What other
providers besides verizon were working at least for a while.?

Trooperdude wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:07:07 GMT, "mad amoeba" wrote:

I know that there are several providers and most of them were out. I

might
be wrong about Verizon but most of the cellular phone were out of action
which was my point. Because if that's why most people have cellulars so

that
no matter where they are or what happens they can contact their family

etc.
But now as far as im concerned cellulars are not reliable.

Perhaps not reliable for the "average" person.

Verizon kept a percentage of capacity in reserve for public safety,
and the new public safety phones have priority, so will knock "no
priority" calls off the tower if they place a call.

erniegalts August 18th 03 09:30 PM

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:13:45 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"erniegalts" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:53:44 GMT, "mad amoeba" wrote:

were i am none of the public phones worked and most of the cellular

phones
didnt worked either--ie verizon.

"Tim May" wrote in message
t...

Just to clairify in my mind, neither analog nor digital [CMDA, etc] ?

Rather limits the usefulness of mobiles if a mere power failure can
take them out.

However, is 2 metres any better?

Yes 2 meters is better as, if necessary, we can relay messages ham to ham to
the final destination if our repeaters are out. Plus of course we hams can
use other frequencies. If 2 meters isn't getting the job done for relatively
local communications, we can go to something that has a good ground wave
(such as 80 meters) and cover quite an extended local area very easily.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

True, but was thinking more along the lines of carrying a 2-metre
handheld, which a lot of hams here tend to carry around. Haven't seen
any 80 meter handhelds, although if had a mobile covering all amateur
bands would no doubt be very useful in an emergency, especially if had
one of the old ones which would transmit outside amateur bands.

To save time will quote one of my earlier posts to misc.survivalism.
--------------------------------------
Subject: Survival test failed
Date: 2000/08/10
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism

7== Some of you may have seen a TV series called "Eye of the Storm".
One episode dealt with the destruction of Darwin, Northern Territory,
by Cyclone Tracy on Christmas Eve/ early Christmas morning 1974.
No services including power and phones. Darwin had a huge Radio
Australia shortwave transmitter, an RAAF air base, and a RAN navy
base...but guess who got the first message out to the rest of
Australia. A radio amateur, of course. :-)

The peak of the destruction was around 0330 to 0400, and from memory
it wasn't until 0600 or 0700 that the media in the rest of the country
announced the story. Not sure when the first message actually got
out. Remarkably enough, death toll was only around 70.

The city was pretty well flattened. At the time of the cyclone,
population was around 46,000 people and area was 233 square kilometres
[about 90 square miles]. Depending on just where draw the boundaries
of the city have the choice of two damage reports. One says that
3,000 houses survived out of 12,000, the other says that only 400
survived intact out of 8,200.

Unlike the US, Australia doesn't have a lot of cities or towns. The
nearest towns of any size would have been Alice Springs to the south
and Mt. Isa, Queensland to the southwest, both about 1,200 km [745
miles] away by road. So a massive airlift had to be organized.
30,000 people were airlifted out in first 8 days, women and children
out in first 6 days.

No choice, really. No power, no phones, no city water, not much
undamaged food. Darwin is tropical, being 12º27' south of the
equator, and, since seasons are reversed here, was midsummer. Posted
a bit on the evacuation in item #5 Newsgroups: misc.survivalism ///
Subject: severely wounded, administering morphine /// Date: Fri,
16 Jun 2000 09:36:39 +1000 ///

One of the reasons damage was so great is that most homes were built
in what was then a very popular tropical style. Most of the house was
on columns or pilings about 8 feet off the ground. At ground level
was usually a brick bathroom and laundry, with an internal staircase
up to the house. Rest of the area under the house was used as a
carport. Main reason for this style of construction was for
protection against tropical termites, which would even eat through the
lead sheathing on telephone cables. Was also cooler than a building
on ground level.

Not too great for resisting a cyclone such as Tracy, though. City has
since been completely rebuilt, no sign of the cyclone damage.

erniegalts

erniegalts August 18th 03 09:53 PM

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:05:30 GMT, helmsman
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:38:55 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

What's wrong with not communicating during a blackout? It's a perfect
time to do something else.

Depending on the emergency it may cost you your life :'(

Some good points on this list!

The best way to communicate is with a ham radio. Here is a list "THAT
SHOULD BE PRINTED NOW!!"
and put away so you have it of information that will help during the
next time something goe's wrong.
A short list of things and facts to have on hand if things start
looking grim - If you print this you will ALWAYS have it.
o A normally active adult needs to drink at least two quarts of water
daily. Intense physical activity can double that amount. Children,
nursing mothers and people in poor health will need more.
o A medium size dog requires about one gallon of water per day; a cat,
about one pint.
o City water is generally already treated. No additional treatment is
necessary unless the system is compromised.

Which it is likely to be, especially following a power failure, flood
or earthquake. All city water systems have lots of major and minor
leaks. Household meter readings will never total the reading on the
master meter with the possible exception of a brand new system.

Minor leaks cannot be located and repaired until water shows up on the
surface, and in sandy or gravelly subsoils often has to be a large
leak before it will show up.

Pipes often run through soil with chemical or bacteriological
contamination, and the only thing that keeps the system safe is that
it is normally constantly pressurized. However, if the pressure
fails, then people drawing water from lines on a slope or hill will
cause a vacuum to be drawn on the mains and service lines drawing
contamination into the pipes.

In any disaster, is safer to assume contamination whether warnings
have been issued or not. Boiling will kill most if not all pathogenic
[disease causing] viruses, bacteria, etc. but will not remove most
chemicals.

It is far safer to keep at least a three day supply of water, and many
keep at least 2 weeks worth.

Store water in clean,
deodorized, food-grade plastic containers with screw-on caps (soft
drink, milk bottles or drums, for example). Avoid using containers
that will decompose or break, such as paper milk cartons or glass
bottles. Replace stored tap water every six months.
o Do not use containers that retain strong odors from previously
stored foods, those that held toxic products or those without an
airtight seal.
o Store your water in a dark place away from paint and petroleum-based
products, acids or anything having objectionable odors (i.e.,
fertilizer or household cleaners). Laboratory tests confirm that
chlorine used to treat water and guard against bacterial growth lasts
longer in refrigerated water than water kept at room temperature.
o To use the water in your pipes, let air into the plumbing by turning
on the faucet at the highest point in your house and draining the
water from the faucet at the lowest point.
o To use the water in your water heater, be sure the electricity or
gas is off. Open the drain at the bottom of the tank. Start the water
flowing by turning off the cold water intake valve above the hot water
tank and turning on any hot water faucet. Do not turn on the gas or
electricity when the tank is empty.
o Disinfect rainwater or water from snow before drinking.
o Boiling is the best way to disinfect water. Bring the water to a
rolling boil for five minutes. Let cool before drinking. To improve
taste, pour water back and forth repeatedly between two containers to
aerate the water. Bleach directions below from Clorox.com.
o You can disinfect water using household bleach. Choose a brand that
does not contain soaps or other additives. The label should read 5.25%
percent of sodium hypochlorite. To treat one gallon of clear water,
use 16 drops of bleach or 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. If the water is
cloudy, or if the bleach is over one year old, use twice as much
bleach. Stir the water vigorously and let it sit for 30 minutes. Pour
the water back and forth between two containers several times to
improve taste. Repeat if no bleach smell after 30 minutes.
o If you use an eyedropper or measuring spoon to add bleach, do not
use them for any other purpose.
o Adding powdered drinks like Kool-Aid and Tang will help disguise odd
tasting water from disinfecting by boiling or bleach. In an Emergency
use water in: Pipes, Water heater = turn off first!, toilet tank-not
bowl, ice cubes, rain water and snow.
1. Flashlights for everyone and enough batteries to last one week.
2. A battery-operated radio and enough batteries to ensure one week of
continuous play.
3. A regular telephone that is connected to telephone land lines by a
standard telephone wall jack. (Cordless telephones and telephones that
plug into an electrical outlet may not work if there is no
electricity.)
4. A three-day supply (minimum) of stored tap water and nonperishable
food.
5. A manual (nonelectric) can opener.
6. Paper plates, cups, napkins, plastic eating utensils, and paper
towels.
7. An alternative heating source, such as a generator and electrical
heaters or fireplace. Stock up on extra firewood.
8. An alternative means to cook food, such as a charcoal or propane
grill and enough charcoal and lighter fluid or propane to last a week.
9. A fire extinguisher.
10. Liquid chlorine bleach with 5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite and
no additives
11. An eyedropper or measuring spoons.
12. Extra garbage bags.
13. Sanitary wipes or no rinse antibacterial hand wash for cleaning
hands without water.
14. No rinse shampoo for washing hair without water.
15. A fully stocked first aid kit, including any specific prescription
requirements.

Depending on nature and duration of disaster people who are dependent
on prescription medication often immediately rush out and refill
scrips whether have used existing scrips or not. Most prescription
medications are fairly expensive and some go out of date. Therefore,
most pharmacists don't carry much extra stock, often relying on almost
daily deliveries from wholesalers.

Most stock systems are electronic these days, and if power is out
pharmacies can easily run out of items without even realizing it,
wholesalers have difficulty filling orders if their systems are down,
or ordering more from manufacturers.

If really need a medication, would advise keeping at least two week
supply at all times.

16. A shut off wrench (to turn off household gas and water).
17. Extra cash. 18. Extra Ammo - BE PREPARED, BECAUSE IF YOUR NOT ?

erniegalts August 18th 03 10:26 PM

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:02:39 -0400, Bob Brock
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:39:14 GMT, erniegalts
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:03:05 GMT, "mad amoeba" wrote:

Not difficult to get an amateur license these days now that the code
requirement has been wiped. Anyone who knows a bit about radio should
be able to study the regs and pass an exam allowing VHF operation on 2
metres, and the "general class" [ or "full call" ] exam is not that
much harder.

General Class license still requires a Morse Code test. Morse has not
been "wiped." It has however, been lowered for the two higher class
licenses from 13 and 20 wpm to 5 wpm for both licenses. Morse is not
required for the Technician license which give full priviliges on
VHF/UHF.

So, once again ernie, you are wrong.

http://www.arrl.org/pio/hamlic.html

Sorry, Brock, it is you that are wrong, and for the second time in a
matter of weeks. First time was when you accused me of being unable
to calculate the resonant length of a 1/4 wave vertical.

A quick advanced search on the net would have shown you that have
mentioned this in several posts, see following excerpt from one of the
early ones.

=============================
From: "Wombat"
Subject: Handheld Ham Radio Antenna(e) Questions
Date: 1999/03/01
[snip]

1== Not familiar with these particular transceivers, the formula for
any full-length quarter wave whip working against a ground plane is
[in metric measurements]
Length in meters = 75 divided by operating frequency

The 2 metre band extends from 144 to 148 MHz. So if were cutting an
antenna for center of this band at 146 MHz would be 75 / 146 =
0.513698630137. So a quarter-wave vertical would be roughly .513
metres long, or 513 mm. (millimeters) or 20.2244 inches.

75/ 440 = 170.455 mm or 6.71081inches.

2== I assume you will be getting an amateur license before operate
on these frequencies, as governments tend to take a dim view of
unlicensed operation, and amateurs will go to considerable lengths to
catch unlicensed operators.

3== The above formula gives the theoretical lengths for a resonant
1/4 wave working against a ground plane. Some hand transceivers use
the unit itself or the operators hand to act as a "ground plane" A
"rubber ducky" antenna is often just a resonant 1/4 wave wound into a
shorter coil, and does restrict range.
================================

Actually, have done a fair bit of experimentation with antennas.
Corner reflectors, trough reflectors, yagis, arrays, non-resonant long
wires, rhombics, etc.

You second mistake was the belief that code was still a requirement,
although the International Telecommunications Union end this almost a
month ago.

Were you involved in previous debates on need for current control on
LEDs, the differences between an a electrochemical cell and a battery
made up from same? Don't remember offhand, but you seem very anxious
to catch me in a mistake. Why is this, Brock?

erniegalts

Brenda Ann August 18th 03 10:34 PM

"erniegalts" wrote in message
The 2 metre band extends from 144 to 148 MHz. So if were cutting an
antenna for center of this band at 146 MHz would be 75 / 146 =
0.513698630137. So a quarter-wave vertical would be roughly .513
metres long, or 513 mm. (millimeters) or 20.2244 inches.

This is good math, but usually for a 1/4 wave radiator, 5% is subtracted for
velocity factor, leaving the basic 1/4 wave radiator for 2m at approximately
19".

MJC August 18th 03 10:46 PM

If you're looking for an incredibly full-featured Ham Transceiver, look no
further than the Yaesu-817. 2-meter and 6-meter for local use, and then
pretty much everything else for long distance. All you need is a good
portable antenna and tuner and you'll never be out of touch. It's a "legal"
QSL radio with it's maximum 5watt output and can be set up as a base station
(many people have) or slip it into it's case and sling it over your shoulder
for true portability.
But by the way, you need to get your Ham license before you get one.
Reputable Ham dealers will NOT sell you a transceiver unless you furnish
your call sign that matches the address you want them to mail it to.

MJC

"mad amoeba" wrote in message
. net...
I was affected by the recent blackout in North East. That got me thinking

of
how would
one communicate during such an event. Electricity including phones were
out.
Cellular phones didn't work either. So the only way of receiving

informaiton
was by radio.
My old Sony wm-gx670 did quite nicely. But what if I would need to
communicate with
my relatives or even cops to let them know of an emmergency. If
telephone/cellular/internet
are not available what are my other options? Let's say people I want to
communicate with
are more than several miles away in an urban area. That makes CB radio
useless--right? So
then as far as I understand using ham radio is my only option. With that

you
can either get in
touch with your relatives directly, provided they have ham radio as well,

or
you can call
some person in an area without blackout and tell them to call
police/ambulance etc if that's
what you need.

Not knowing much myself about scanners/shortwaves/hams myself I want to

ask
you guys
with more experience if the below piece of equipment is what I need.

As far as I understand this is an handheld ham radio which also functions

as
a scanner and
can also receive on a shortwave band. So it will allow me to communicate
with people
far away even in urban setting, it is portable and it will also allow me

monitor news as
well as police/firefighters etc. Am I right?

Yaesu VX-2R
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0176.html

the price is kind of steep but for all-in-one product I would be willing

pay it.

Perry Noid August 18th 03 10:59 PM

It's simple to throw together a set of field telephones from 2 common
type American telephones (complete telephones). Simply connect the red
and green wires with at least a 9 volt battery (up to 48 volts DC) in a
big loop, but you'll have to play around with finding and adding the
right value resistor to the loop to limit the volume. DC volts has a
limited range tho. It's very complicated however, making a phone ring,
so for your ringer you can salvage a couple door bells (or other DC volt
device) to act as your ringer with the switch for each at the opposing
end. You can pick up an ordinary phone at some dollar stores for about
$7 each. Since you don't have to modify the phone itself, you can easily
return it to common use.

Dee D. Flint August 18th 03 11:58 PM

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"KB9WFK" wrote in message
How do you define "a few miles"? Like I said in another post, I can
go 18 miles on my 7 Watt 2 Meter HT. Put a decent antenna on it and I
can talk a lot further. Our club repeater has over a 50 mile range
and only puts out 25 Watts.
Depending on usage, our repeater can go 4 or 5 days with no outside
power.

KB9WFK

I was able to hit a 'local' repeater with my HTX-202 using only the stock
antenna from a distance in excess of 50 miles. This was from a place in

the
valley west of Salem, OR to a hillside east of Vancouver, WA. This was

using
5 watts for clean copy. If one station is in a good location, even an HT
can get very good range on 2m.

The key element is antenna height. If the repeater antenna is high enough,
you can get quite good distances. Or if your own antenna is high enough,
same thing. Naturally if both antennas are high, possible distances
increase.

On the other hand, rubber duck antenna to rubber duck antenna at ground
level, 2 to 5 miles will generally be the limit.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

erniegalts August 19th 03 12:01 AM

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 06:34:35 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"erniegalts" wrote in message
.. .
The 2 metre band extends from 144 to 148 MHz. So if were cutting an
antenna for center of this band at 146 MHz would be 75 / 146 =
0.513698630137. So a quarter-wave vertical would be roughly .513
metres long, or 513 mm. (millimeters) or 20.2244 inches.

This is good math, but usually for a 1/4 wave radiator, 5% is subtracted for
velocity factor, leaving the basic 1/4 wave radiator for 2m at approximately
19".

True, but the formula is only a rough guide anyway. Even at much
lower frequencies there are a few variables, and at VHF and UHF
wavelengths antenna length can be very critical.

On Australian UHF CB band can make a nice little handheld 3 element
Yagi out of a UHF socket and an old coathanger which will give around
3 or 4 dB gain. [Perfectionists would probably use aluminum, copper,
or even silver wire, though. ]

Passing thought: Will Brock rush into print claiming that copper is a
better conductor than silver? :-)

Corner reflectors or arrays usually a better choice for more gain,
although even high gain rhrombics with theoretical 25 dB gain are a
manageable size at UHF if looking for really reliable point to point
communication.

Can make up 9 DB collinear omnidirectional verticals for UHF from RG-8
coax and plastic electrical conduit, although fiberglass is better.
Not much margin for error at these frequencies, though.

Can make a pretty decent UHF TV antenna using an phased array made up
of a chicken wire reflector and beer or soft drink cans as elements.
Not as good as an 18 element Yagi, but cheap and easy alternative.

Antennas can be great fun to play with. Was raised in a rural area,
and when TV first became available some local farmers were spending a
lot of money for tall masts and high gain Yagis to pull in a good VHF
signal.

However, I was highly amused when one old farmer who knew no antenna
or propagation theory whatsoever pulled in nearly as good as signal by
using a junked bedspring from a double bed, which he mounted on an old
apple crate and leaned against a tree, using rubber from old inner
tubes as insulation. He was just using flat 300 ohm lead in, split
the antenna end and fitted with alligator clips, and played around
with trial and error until found the proper feedpoint. He had no
terrain advantage over the others and doubt if an expensive Yagi at a
similar level would have worked much better.

His neighbors who had spent a lot more on their antennas weren't quite
as amused, though. :-)

When I was a kid, a lot of amateurs used "home brew" equipment, but
most amateurs these days seem to take their transceiver back to the
dealer for anything more complicated than replacing an incandescent
bulb or an LED indicator. :-)

The radio scanner enthusiast might consider building a large discone
antenna if has the space. No gain, but good SWR over many decades of
frequency range. Simple to build, size of disk and skirt not
especially critical as long as large enough to cover lowest frequency
of interest. Most libraries should have a reasonably current ARRL
Antenna handbook.

erniegalts

erniegalts August 19th 03 12:33 AM

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:22:00 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

But by the way, you need to get your Ham license before you get one.
Reputable Ham dealers will NOT sell you a transceiver unless you furnish
your call sign that matches the address you want them to mail it to.

There are not very many reputable ham dealers if that is the case. Many
will sell without asking if you are a ham. There is no US requirement that
you have a license to buy a transceiver , just to transmitt on one.

Probably, but is it a good idea to have something that is illegal to
use in most cases? Most hams are quite protective of their band
allocations and spend a lot of time tracking down illegal users.

Same thing happened here when UHF CB was introduced. CB sets on HF
and UHF had to be licensed at the time. Most people who went on UHF
when it was introduced were former users of HF Citizens Band and were
determined to keep the idiots and children off UHF.

Those who didn't use registered call signs, or otherwise didn't stick
to regulations found that those with call signs would simply refuse to
answer their transmissions. Having seen the 27 MHz service in cities
deteriorate to the point where it wasn't useful most of the day,
users of the new UHF service were determined that it didn't go the
same way.

Unlicensed operators were usually quickly reported to Department of
Communications, which is Australian equivalent of the F.C.C.

There were even viligantie groups doing transmitter hunts for illegal
operators. These were often persuaded to sell their sets and go back
to the 27 MHz "chicken band" if they couldn't bother to get a license
or use proper procedure.

Sometimes their equipment was sabatoged. However, am not about to
give advice how this can be done, of course. Not that I would stoop
to such activity, but some users enjoyed it. :-)

If really interested on using amateur radio equipment for emergency
use, should know at least some theory and practice. ....And as long
as going to do this, why not learn the regulations as well and get a
license?

erniegalts

Ralph Mowery August 19th 03 12:47 AM

There are not very many reputable ham dealers if that is the case. Many
will sell without asking if you are a ham. There is no US requirement

that
you have a license to buy a transceiver , just to transmitt on one.

Probably, but is it a good idea to have something that is illegal to
use in most cases? Most hams are quite protective of their band
allocations and spend a lot of time tracking down illegal users.

Guess that it is a differant point of view. Mine is that if someone pays
money for a transceiver (especially a low band one so they can practice
copying the code) they will have an investment and reason to get their
license so they can operate all the bands.

Ralph Mowery August 19th 03 12:50 AM

They cannot refuse to sell you the radio merely because you have no

license.
Back when licenses took 3 months to arrive (which wasn't all that long

ago),
many people purchased their gear and set up their station while they

waited
for the license.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Even now as many take the test at hamfests and get the results back in a few
days , it is nice to buy a rig at the hamfest and get it set up so you can
use it in less than a week.

DE KU4PT

Perry Noid August 19th 03 01:21 AM

erniegalts wrote:

Wouldn't consider it "very complicated" to make a phone ring as only
need to provide around 60 volts AC at 16 cycles or so.

erniegalts

Just what percentage of us do you think could do that? and from DC
power? For about 98% of us it is "very complicated", and the one
electronics tech among us doesn't need any help.

Gunner August 19th 03 03:09 AM

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:21:16 GMT, (Perry Noid) wrote:

erniegalts wrote:

Wouldn't consider it "very complicated" to make a phone ring as only
need to provide around 60 volts AC at 16 cycles or so.

erniegalts

Just what percentage of us do you think could do that? and from DC
power? For about 98% of us it is "very complicated", and the one
electronics tech among us doesn't need any help.

Chuckle..I made up a private phone system when I was 13. Rang and
everything.

Then I discovered "field phones" Way much better.

Gunner

Have you noticed how these enviros have become alarmed by the
proliferation of large carnivores in the boonies? I saw one remark to
the effect that bears, for example, do not seem to know their place on
the "food chain." Why should they? Only man comes up with ideas like
a food chain, and with man the idea only makes sense because man is
armed. Without his weapons, man is by no means at the top of any food
chain. On the contrary, he is down in fourth or fifth spot, depending
upon the environment in which he lives. Primitive man was under no
illusions about this, nor are the backwoods folk in India today. To a
tiger, man is a morsel, as these unarmed joggers seem to be to a cougar,
upon occasion. Man is man because he is always armed. That is something
they do not teach in kindergarten, nor for that matter in high school. A
youth becomes a man when he is first presented with his own personal
weapon. That is his right of passage, and those who do not understand
that are questionable members of a free society.
- Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 9, No. 7, July, 2001

Hagbard Celine August 19th 03 05:02 AM

-----------------------------
So ernie,where specifically was I wrong? Code has not been "wiped."
It's been reduced to 5 WPM for the two higher class licenses required
for operation on the HF band.

Oh for ****s sake, will you ****ing people just STFU?

Bob, I believe, if you read Ernie's original post, he said it was wiped,
and then talked about using a 2m HT. The license to operate on 2m,
Technician, had its morse code requirement 'wiped' a few years ago.

Jesus ****ing christ, the signal-to-noise ratio in here is getting
mighty ****ing low. You ****ers just aren't happy if you aren't gaining
imaginary debating points on Usenet.

Richard G Amirault August 19th 03 05:05 AM

In rec.radio.scanner KB9WFK wrote:
(snip)
: How do you define, "a couple of miles"? My Icom T2H (a 7 Watt hand
: held) can make it from my house to the repeater 18 miles away. If I
: can hit that repeater then I can talk to anyone between it and me on
: simplex, and that is with the rubber duck antenna. Using a home made
: twin-lead J-Pole antenna I talked on the repeater from downtown
: Chicago which is a 36 miles trip.
: On 2 Meters, get your antenna high and you can really reach out.
: Height is Might.
(snip)

Yes, but ... not everyone has a "high" antenna .. and many of those will
be closer to you than that "repeater 18 miles away" and yet, you *won't*
be able to talk with them. Because they won't hear you and/or you won't
hear them.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Bob Brock August 19th 03 05:15 AM

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 04:02:54 GMT, Hagbard Celine
wrote:

-----------------------------
So ernie,where specifically was I wrong? Code has not been "wiped."
It's been reduced to 5 WPM for the two higher class licenses required
for operation on the HF band.

Oh for ****s sake, will you ****ing people just STFU?

No.

Bob, I believe, if you read Ernie's original post, he said it was wiped,
and then talked about using a 2m HT. The license to operate on 2m,
Technician, had its morse code requirement 'wiped' a few years ago.

Closer to a decade I think.

Jesus ****ing christ, the signal-to-noise ratio in here is getting
mighty ****ing low. You ****ers just aren't happy if you aren't gaining
imaginary debating points on Usenet.

Too cheap to buy a newsreader capable of filtering/killfilling
messages? If so, STFU and quit whining.

Have a nice day ;-)

Ryan, KC8PMX August 19th 03 05:37 AM

Really, as I regularly get anywhere from 4-15 miles range with my HT around
here on simplex. Even further with the mobile rig on simplex at 40-45
watts, as far as 20-30 miles on average. At home, (better antenna and the
height advantage) have gotten even further with 40-50 watts! Must be
something wrong with your equipment.

--
"I can't describe how I felt when I picked up that rifle, loaded
it into my little car and drove home. It seemed so incredibly

WShoots1 August 19th 03 05:46 AM

For current limiting in a point to point telephone system, figure 1000 ohms per
volt for the resistance to put in series with the phone handsets and the
battery. The current then will be about one milliamp.

Bill, K5BY

MJC August 19th 03 06:54 PM

Here 'ya go. This is why we can't afford to let the Broadband companies
squeeze us out.

http://www.ev1.net/english/news/news...t=technolo gy

MJC

erniegalts August 19th 03 10:39 PM

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:11:04 -0400, Bob Brock
wrote:

wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:03:05 GMT, "mad amoeba" wrote:

Not difficult to get an amateur license these days now that the code
requirement has been wiped. Anyone who knows a bit about radio should
be able to study the regs and pass an exam allowing VHF operation on 2
metres, and the "general class" [ or "full call" ] exam is not that
much harder.

General Class license still requires a Morse Code test. Morse has not
been "wiped." It has however, been lowered for the two higher class
licenses from 13 and 20 wpm to 5 wpm for both licenses. Morse is not
required for the Technician license which give full priviliges on
VHF/UHF.

So, once again ernie, you are wrong.

http://www.arrl.org/pio/hamlic.html

Which states:
The General License:

The General class license grants some operating privileges on all
Amateur Radio bands and all operating modes. This license opens the
door to world-wide communications. Earning the General class license
requires passing a 35 question examination. General class licensees
must also have passed the Technician written examination and the five
word-per-minute Morse code test.

Just had a look at it. You might check the date at the bottom.:-)

Page last modified: 09:55 AM, 27 Sep 2000 ET
Page author:
Copyright © 2000, American Radio Relay League, Inc. All Rights
Reserved.

The Amateur Extra License:

The Amateur Extra class license conveys all available U.S. Amateur
Radio operating privileges on all bands and all modes. Earning the
license is more difficult; it requires passing a thorough 50 question
examination. Extra class licensees must also have passed all previous
license class written examinations, including the five word-per-minute
Morse code test.

-----------------------------
So ernie,where specifically was I wrong? Code has not been "wiped."
It's been reduced to 5 WPM for the two higher class licenses required
for operation on the HF band.

Sorry, Brock, it is you that are wrong, and for the second time in a
matter of weeks. First time was when you accused me of being unable
to calculate the resonant length of a 1/4 wave vertical.

It was the part where you said that automobiles have quater wave
antennas that resonate at around 500 KHz. That my boy is a hell of an
antenna for a car.

Show us where I said that. I said that this would be the resonant
length for an antenna of that length.

Never mind, I'll look it up and reprint text in full, snipping some
excess material from full header. ###### My comments set off by hash
signs as usual ######

=====================================
From: erniegalts
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism
Subject: Radio technical question???
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:37:18 GMT

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:14:19 -0700, Louis Boyd
wrote:

Steve Day wrote:
Ok guys and Gals, here is one for the more technically minded of you :o)

If I want to try and improve the reception on my car radio or home based SW
radio (to for example pick up weather broadcasts or news broadcasts in a
remote location), the normal route is to extend the length of the ariel ????
How ever when I have tried this with my Roberts 886 world band all I get is
more very loud interference.

So how do I extend the length of an ariel using a wire to improve reception
without picking up more interference?

Just extending the length of the antenna doesn't usually get it away
from the noise sources and make actually make the signal to noise ratio
worse.

1. Eliminate the noise sources if practical. Things like fluorescent
lights, dimmer circuts, some UPS's etc generate considerable noise in
the AM and SW bands. This may not be practical if the interference is
from other than your property, but I've had success in finding
capacitively sparking connectors on power poles and asking the power
company to fix them. I've never seen them find the problem themselves
as such sparking isn't considered a power fault. You can track it down
with a portable radio and see exactly where it's sparking at night. A
NV scope make the sparking easy to see. On a car radio check ignition
noise first. Noise can also come from corroded metal acting as a mixer
causing noise to be generated from nearby transmitters which are working
properly.

2. Move the antenna away from the noise sources. Whether that's
practical depends on the radio's input circuit and it's provision for an
external antenna, and of course where the noise source is located.

3. Get the antenna to a higher elevation. That's most effective at
higher frequencies, not so effective at AM and low band SW.

4. A larger and more directional antenna may help. A shielded loop
antenna can be oriented to null out a single interfering source on the
AM and low SW bands. At high SW frequecies a directional multielement
antenna (or other designs) may help but such antennas are large below
VHF frequecies.

All good advice. Can get inline boosters for car radios, but as Lou
points out won't help the signal to noise ratio.

On car radio, are you talking about AM, SW, or FM?

The best non-directional antenna is one that is resonant at the
desired frequency, and the metric formula for this is very simple.

The usual whip antenna on a car is a quarter wave vertical operating
against a ground plane. The formula for resonant frequency for a 1/4
wave antenna is 75 / frequency in MHz.

####### Now Brock, point out where this claims that the quarter wave
antenna on a car is anywhere near resonant frequency. If you are
going to criticise my posts at least try to read them carefully enough
to get the meaning and stop jumping to conclusions. Better yet, why
don't you simply killfile me??? ######

Using a resonant antenna is very important for transmission, but also
quite significant for reception.

So lets assume that you want to listen to an FM station at 100 MHz [or
megacycles] on a car radio. Resonant length in metres for 1/4 wave
vertical would be 75/100 = 0.75 metres = 75 centimeters which in
imperial measurement would be 29.53 inches.

##### Which is roughly correct #####

Easy to see that this no problem for a car antenna. However, suppose
we are talking about a SW radio for 27 MHz CB? 75/27= ~ 2.77 metres,
=~270 centimeters = 106.3 inches = ~ 8.9 feet.

If want anything near perfect resonance and omnidirectional coverage
for an 8.9 foot vertical need at least as much ground plane or radials
at the base of it to form a "counterpoise" [More or less of an
"electrical mirror image" of the antenna, or "the other half of it".]

###### This is also reasonably correct ######

However, highways aren't designed for vehicles almost 18 feet wide, so
will have to accept some compromise.

#####The reason isn't only the ground plane, of course. Most overhead
structures such as roof over pumps in service stations and many
highway overpasses, pedestrian bridges, etc. don't allow for height of
vehicle roof plus ~ 8.09 feet#####

Much worse at AM frequencies, of course. AM band runs from around
..53 to 1.6 Mhz, or 530 to 1600 Khz. So for an AM station at 1000 KHz
or 1 MHz, the resonant length would be 75/1 = 75 metres.

One foot = 0.3048 metres, so 75 * .3048 = 22.86 feet, the length of
your resonant vertical, so if you mounted it dead center in the metal
roof of your vehicle, the vehicle would have to be 45.72 feet wide.

[Yes, can get by using physically shorter resonant antennas by
winding this as a helical coil on a physically shorter form, but
efficiency falls off drastically for shorter lengths.

If assume that the feedline is correctly matched to an antenna of the
proper length, and had enough surrounding metal around for it as a
ground plane efficiency might approach 100%.

For 27 MHz, can wind that 8.9 feet if wire on a 6 foot long form, but
your ground plane still wont be adequate, so efficiency will probably
be 70 or 80% at best. Can even wind it on a 2 foot form, but then
efficiency will drop to around 10%.]

Yes, going into more detail here than is necessary, but there may
be some people still fooling around with 27 MHz CB in the group.

#####Which is why went into such detail. But again note that there
is no claim in the post that the 1/4 wave vertical receiving antenna
on a vehicle is anywhere near resonant at lower frequencies.#####

OK, for reception you don't need a fully efficient resonant antenna on
your vehicle, and no need to try to match to it. A long helical wound
fiberglass antenna may be the best you can do.

Now if talking a fixed station antenna, you have a lot more
flexibility. You can go for long wire antennas, quads, or even
rhombics, terminated or unterminated. [For details on such antennas,
see current ARRL antenna manual]

Nice to know all this stuff, but if the average SWL listener my
personal advice for broadcast band or shortwave is an active antenna
such as a Datong. Basically, a wideband 1/2 wave dipole with
switchable gain.

##### The tapered stainless whips on the datong dipole are nowhere
near resonant lengths for most frequencies either. From memory, about
5 1/2 feet long. ######

Used vertically, it is omnidirectional. Used horizontally, highly
directional, so useful for nulling out noise sources.

##### Can be mounted on larger vehicles for mobile reception #####

Searched the web for
Datong active antenna
Results 1 - 10 of about 189. Search took 0.17 seconds.

Hope this will help.

However, I don't claim to be an expert on antennas. Others on the
group would know more than I do.

Generalists are, by definition, generalists.

People like Gunner have claimed to be "generalists" but in some areas
obviously have some areas of specialization. For example, he would
know far more about metalwork than I would.

And if you wanted to know more about propaganda, lies, killing, and
general asshole behavior, would probably be difficult to improve on
this particular resident of California. :-)

Although I suspect that he is now known nationwide or even worldwide.

erniegalts

I would ask if you are this stupid, but I know that you aren't.
You're just a troll ernie and not a very good one.

When want you opinion, Brock, will ask it.

.....And you are still in error on both the resonant antenna and the
requirement for morse. :-)

erniegalts

Brenda Ann August 19th 03 10:54 PM

"erniegalts" wrote in message
Much worse at AM frequencies, of course. AM band runs from around
.53 to 1.6 Mhz, or 530 to 1600 Khz. So for an AM station at 1000 KHz
or 1 MHz, the resonant length would be 75/1 = 75 metres.

One foot = 0.3048 metres, so 75 * .3048 = 22.86 feet, the length of
your resonant vertical, so if you mounted it dead center in the metal
roof of your vehicle, the vehicle would have to be 45.72 feet wide.

Oops...

You got your math backward here.. the correct computation would be 75
(length in meters) x 3.28 (feet per meter)= 246.06 feet for a 1/4 wave
radiator at 1 MHz (not adjusting for velocity factor).

KB9WFK August 20th 03 12:57 AM

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:18:26 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
wrote:

Separating himself from Baghdad Bob, Trs1 whined:

It is not illegal to communicate for emergency reasons.

That's NOT the FCC says.

Actually, it is what they say. I believe it is even a question on the
test for the Tech. Class license but I really don't feel like reading
the entire question pool right now.

Actually..here it is from an ARRL publication NOW YOU'RE TALKING used
to study for the exam. After a paragraph recognizing that some radios
can transmit out of band and warning of false or deceptive signals it
says:

"If you should require immediate emergency help, and you're using a
voice mode, call MAYDAY. Use whatever frequency offers the best
chance of getting a useful answer"

"In a life or property-threatening emergency, you may send a distress
call on any frequency, even outside the amateur bands, if you think
doing so will bring help faster."

"If you receive a distress signal, you are also allowed to transmit on
any frequency to provide assistance."

This is all under subelement T1E

KB9WFK

erniegalts August 20th 03 04:01 AM

wrote:

[...]

There are actually three classes of distress messages and AFIK all
have priority over any normal traffic. However, I have my doubts that
all amateurs would necessarily recognize them, let alone users of CB
or most other two way services.

To quote from one of my earlier posts:
Subject: OT: CB Radio's
Date: 2000/06/03
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism
MAYDAY (Distress) = Indicates that a ship, aircraft or other vehicle
is threatened by grave and imminent danger and requests immediate
assistance.

PAN (Urgency) Indicates that the calling station has a very urgent
message to transmit concerning the safety of a ship, aircraft, or
other vehicle, or the safety of a person.

SECURTIE (Safety) Indicates that the station is about to transmit a
message concerning the safety of navigation or giving important
meteorological warnings.

"You are behaving like a troll, disguising your attacks as reasonable
discussion."
'Alan Connor'

"_Magna est veritas et praevalebit"_
(Truth is mighty and will prevail).
{erniegalts}
{Australia}
{misc.survivalism}

Bob Brock August 20th 03 08:32 AM

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:16:59 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
wrote:

Separating himself from Baghdad Bob, erniegalts
whined:

There are actually three classes of distress messages and AFIK all
have priority over any normal traffic. However, I have my doubts that
all amateurs would necessarily recognize them, let alone users of CB
or most other two way services.

It STILL boils down to the FCC NOT accepting an emergency as a reason
for transmitting on a frequency you are NOT licensed for.

Here in San Diego, a few years ago, a licensed Ham operator
with a modded (out-of-band xmit) radio was off-roading with
friends. One of them had a serious crash. Ham guy claimed
he couldn't hit a Ham repeater, so called in on a Sheriff's
Dept. freq (453.400).

The injured person was rescued, but the FCC filed charges
against the Ham guy for unlicensed operation.

The case was settled when Ham guy 'donated' his radio to the County.

FCC ruling was he was not licensed for the frequency he used,
and that they make NO exemption for an emergency.

If memory serves me right, the charges were eventually reduced or
dropped, but he never did get his equipment back. Whatever the
outcome, the FCC made it very clear that transmitting out of band was
a bad thing to do and they would make your life miserable for awhile.

Dwight Stewart August 21st 03 04:41 AM

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote:

It STILL boils down to the FCC NOT accepting
an emergency as a reason for transmitting on
a frequency you are NOT licensed for.

Here in San Diego, a few years ago, a licensed
Ham operator with a modded (out-of-band xmit)
radio was off-roading with friends. One of
them had a serious crash. Ham guy claimed
he couldn't hit a Ham repeater, so called in
on a Sheriff's Dept. freq (453.400).

The injured person was rescued, but the FCC
filed charges against the Ham guy for
unlicensed operation.

The case was settled when Ham guy 'donated'
his radio to the County.

FCC ruling was he was not licensed for the
frequency he used, and that they make NO
exemption for an emergency.

That not quite correct. The rules do allow an Amateur the use of "any
means of radio communications at its disposal," which would clearly include
the use of equipment capable of operating on frequencies outside the amateur
bands (see last paragraph below).

PART 97--AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE
Subpart E--Providing Emergency Communications
Sec. 97.403--Safety of life and protection of property.

No provision of these rules prevents the use by an
amateur station of any means of radio communications at
its disposal to provide essential communication needs
in connection with the immediate safety of human life
and immediate protection of property when normal
communication systems are not available.

Sec. 97.405 Station in distress.

(a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an
amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal
to attract attention, make known its condition and
location, and obtain assistance.
(b) No provision of these rules prevents the use by a
station, in the exceptional circumstances described in
paragraph (a) of this section, of any means of radio
communications at its disposal to assist a station
in distress.

Other rules (97.401 and 97.407) cover emergency operations during a
disaster. Subpart E, Section 2.405, contains additional guidance concerning
emergency operations.

The operator you describe was more likely cited for having equipment
improperly modified to transmit outside the Amateur Bands, not for actually
using those out-of-band frequencies in the situation described. I realize
this sounds like a Catch-22 situation, but those are the rules. In this
case, if the operator had used another radio, a radio approved for those
frequencies, there would have been no rule violation.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Ralph Mowery August 21st 03 11:14 PM

[...]

Read closer. Part 97 is only for ham radio. It is not rules for any other
service. Note it says THESE RULES. That means you STAY in the HAM BANDS.
Anything out ot the ham bands is not covered in THESE RULES.

There are other rules and Parts for the other frequencies. Just as what may
be legal in your state may not be legal in another state. YOu have to
follow the rules of the state you are in and not the rules of your state
when out of your state.

KB9WFK August 22nd 03 01:00 AM

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:14:26 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

[...]

Let me quote again the ARRL reference for taking the FCC test.

"In a life or property-threatening emergency, you may send a distress
call on any frequency, even outside the amateur bands, if you think
doing so will bring help faster."

***EVEN OUTSIDE THE AMATEUR BANDS***
As this is a Federal law there can be no local or state laws that
supercede it.

KB9WFK

Tim May August 22nd 03 03:22 AM

In article , Ross Archer
wrote:

I would think that when blacked-out, there would be little
need for communicating. :)

Amen. If one is out of communication, one is out of communication.

This focus on how people can "communicate with their loved ones," which
is what I hear many here and in the press talking about, is bull****.

You'll be home when you get home. Period. Such was it in during the
Punic Wars, the Crusades, WW II, and the War Against Some Terrorists.

Yeah, those at home may feel some anguish. So? Not a survival issue.

If your goal is to just keep in touch with friends and
family, a GMRS or even FRS radio may be your only realistic
option.

Very limited range. Not at all useful when family lives in suburban New
Jersey and affected party is in Manhattan. Or familiy is in Riverside
and affected party is in downtown LA.

Better to just not worry. "I'll be home when I can. Don't run around
like a chicken with your head cut off, trying to call, when such calls
do me no good whatsoever."

--Tim May

erniegalts August 23rd 03 02:07 AM

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:41:15 GMT, Dwight Stewart
wrote:

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote:

[...]

Interesting technical & legal point, but the law can be like that.

So, for the fun of it, lets introduce more license categories:

Assume, for a start, a military radio operator, various amateur
license categories, CB licensees, emergency service personnel such as
ambulance, police, fire, etc.

Just who is or isn't allowed to use available transceivers under
various circumstances?

No, not trying to be "difficult" here. For practical purposes, it
might not make any real difference in a real emergency, but it might
be interesting to know how the regulations actually read in various
countries and guidelines by the ITU.

At the extreme of "any means" does this mean that anyone can rig an
untuned spark gap transmitter to "call for help" whether he holds any
sort of license or not?

Yeah, I know, I specialize in difficult questions, and often being
correct.

One of the reasons why some people on misc.survivalism hate me. :-)

erniegalts

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/