RadioBanter

-   -   Loops? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/37925-re-loops.html)

Telamon August 29th 03 04:40 AM

Loops?

In article ,
Ross Archer wrote:

Welp, my Wellbrook ALA1530 died six months back, fairly
ending my SWL listening until recently.

I'm making do with a random wire and a high quality matching
transformer, which is a lot noisier, but at least I could
hear Radio Australia doing an excellent feature on the
planet Mars.

Does anybody else make good-to-great quality outdoor loops?
I'm still sold on loops because they seem to deliver better
S/N ratios in my (electrically noisy semi-industrial)
location.

If you have a yard make a large horizontal loop. You would want it to be
over 200 foot to work well down to 5 MHz. A 110-foot loop, which is just
27.5 foot a side (square) would work for the 31-meter band on up. You
would need at least 3 and preferably 4 mounting points. Put a 50-ohm
resistor across the ends of the loop and the coax across the resistor.
This antenna is simple, cheap and better than a random wire.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Diverd4777 August 29th 03 01:37 PM

Hi Ross, Welcome Back !

Here's the URL for some good loops

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/loop/

Dan ( R-75, Jwin JX-M14, Sangean 606A
( & Still using random Wire) )

In article , Burr
writes:

Evening Ross,
Anything I can do to help you get back to listening.

Burr

Randy Padawer August 29th 03 02:16 PM

What were the circumstances surrounding the dead Wellbrook loop? I'm
considering buying one and would like to believe that they are
reliable, long-term, hardy items.
Randy (WA4FJF)

Telamon wrote ...

Frank Dresser August 29th 03 02:39 PM

"Ross Archer" wrote in message

Welp, my Wellbrook ALA1530 died six months back, fairly
ending my SWL listening until recently.

[snip]

What happened to your loop?

Frank Dresser.

Ron Hardin August 29th 03 03:17 PM

Randy Padawer wrote:

What were the circumstances surrounding the dead Wellbrook loop? I'm
considering buying one and would like to believe that they are
reliable, long-term, hardy items.
Randy (WA4FJF)

I have two up as part of a phased array and they work fine for me.
--
Ron Hardin

K.chattenton August 30th 03 05:24 AM

Hi from Ken,
"Ross Archer" wrote in message
Welp, my Wellbrook ALA1530 died six months back, fairly
ending my SWL listening until recently.

Have you tried contacting 'Wellbrook' re a repair to your loop...?, it may
not cost too much.

The thing I find with wide- band loops is the need for a really good preamp
and the only two I know that work really great ( Re-IP2, IP3, S/N ) are the,
'Wellbrook' and the 'AMRAD' designs.
Hope this helps,..........cheers and good luck, Ken, G4KIR.

---