RadioBanter

-   -   Is Shortwave radio dying? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/38148-shortwave-radio-dying.html)

starman September 18th 03 07:17 AM

Michael Rathbun wrote:

In rec.radio.shortwave on Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:57:26 GMT,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

Did they play those tones and then break into the "Propeller Airplane Sound"
from time to time?

Assuming you mean multiplex teletype transmission, I seem to recall that
replacing the bagpipes from time to time.

In my earliest days as an SWL, I thought the 'airplane sound' really was
coming from the cockpit of a propeller airplane! It took me a while to
learn about utility transmissions and their charecteristic sounds.

Frank Dresser September 18th 03 02:07 PM

"starman" wrote in message
Michael Rathbun wrote:

In my earliest days as an SWL, I thought the 'airplane sound' really was
coming from the cockpit of a propeller airplane! It took me a while to
learn about utility transmissions and their charecteristic sounds.

I was lucky enough to have a copy of the ARRL handbook soon after I started
listening. It had a clear explainaition of how RTTY transmissions work.
The high speed tone shift sound of RTTY became immediately recognizable just
from the written description. I'd always sweep the BFO across unkown
signals, just to get a clue as to what they were up to.

I think the older handbooks are more interesting and written better.

Frank Dresser