RadioBanter

-   -   Realistic DX-392 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/38163-realistic-dx-392-a.html)

Jason September 14th 03 01:52 AM

Realistic DX-392

Hello all

I have an opportunity to buy a Realistic DX-392 from a friend. I have
read some reviews on the net, and most say they are adequate for the
price. Do any of you own one, and if so, how do you feel about it?

Do any of you live around Edmonton, Alberta? What is reception like
out here?

Cheers
JM Doiron

Gray Shockley September 14th 03 05:39 AM

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:52:22 -0500, Jason wrote
(in message ):

I have an opportunity to buy a Realistic DX-392 from a friend. I have
read some reviews on the net, and most say they are adequate for the
price. Do any of you own one, and if so, how do you feel about it?

I'd say it's more than "adequate".

It's an excellent radio (in my opinion, of course). I bought one a while back
when RadioShack was phrasing them out (notice that they are still made (818)
by Sangean) to supplement my 398 and, for several things, I prefer the 392 to
the 398 (mostly adjustable SSB as opposed to switch).

It's also fairly large (for a portable) and I like that (but, then, I don't
"portatize" grin it).

I've never found anything I've really disliked about it.

Gray

WShoots1 September 14th 03 05:40 AM

Jason: I have read some reviews on the net, and most say they are adequate
for the price.

For the most part, I like my DX-392. It does everything I bought it new to do
about ten years ago.

What is your friend charging you for it?

Bill, K5BY

Beloved Leader September 14th 03 05:55 AM

Jason wrote in message ...
Hello all

I have an opportunity to buy a Realistic DX-392 from a friend. I have
read some reviews on the net, and most say they are adequate for the
price. Do any of you own one, and if so, how do you feel about it?

I have one; I like it. I bought it three years ago when it was
discontinued in the US by Radio Shack for $US89.97. My brother later
bought one as well. He has a later version, which has more MW
memories. Mine, the 20-219A, has nine, and his, the 20-219B, has 18.
The date code for mine is 10A6. As usual, I am listening to it now. I
use it more than any other SW radio I own, simply because it is in the
same room with my computer.

I have never used the built-in tape recorder, and it is quite limited
in its functions. Many people think the DX-390 was a better value,
assuming you did not want a built-in tape recorder, but Radio Shack
discontinued that before it discontinued the DX-392.

It's too big to be a portable in the sense that a Sony 7600, Grundig
400, or Radio Shack DX-398 is a portable, but you certainly already
know that. In short, I have no regrets.

Details from Sangen on the identical ATS818ACS:
http://www.sangean.com/worldband.html

Review from Radio Netherlands:
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/ats818.html

Rein Wiehler September 14th 03 03:26 PM

Jason wrote:
Hello all

I have an opportunity to buy a Realistic DX-392 from a friend. I
have read some reviews on the net, and most say they are adequate for
the price. Do any of you own one, and if so, how do you feel about it?

Do any of you live around Edmonton, Alberta? What is reception like
out here?

Cheers
JM Doiron

you should have good reception there. I lived in edm. 30 years ago and
got europe in the evenings and asia in the mornings. strong sifnals
rw

Jason September 14th 03 04:13 PM

Hello All

Thanks for all the replies.
I looked at the radio, it's in mint shape, a small scuff on the back,
and the last section of antenna is bent.
All's he wants is a case of beer.
Off to the LC.

Cheers

JM

Jim September 14th 03 10:52 PM

one case of beer? thats a bargain at twice that price. i own one. i
paid $120 on close-out. for that price it is adequate. for your price
its a steal!

Beloved Leader September 15th 03 01:47 AM

Jason wrote in message ...
Hello All

Thanks for all the replies.
I looked at the radio, it's in mint shape, a small scuff on the back,
and the last section of antenna is bent.
All's he wants is a case of beer.

You needed to ask us what to do? Get him some good stuff.

N3KCT September 15th 03 05:26 AM

I have a DX-390 which is the same radio, but
without the cassette recorder. The 390 has a
bigger, better speaker, so audio sounds better.

The FET's in the front-end on these are unprotected
and have a tendency to get toasted by static discharge
or being placed in a high RF environment.
The FET is a 2SK152, but the Shack doesn't stock it.
I toasted mine by operating my 2 meter HT too close.
I replaced it with a hotter FET from an old cordless
telephone PCB. I tried an MPF-102 like many websites
said, but was dissatisfied with poor sensitivity.
I installed a pair of 1N914's across the antenna input
terminals for future protection.

The DX-392 comes with a reset switch located inside the
battery compartment, so you don't have to wait a whole day
for the CPU to reset when it gets locked up.

Aside from these minor points, I'd take one for a case of beer!

Beloved Leader September 15th 03 09:02 PM

"N3KCT" wrote in message ...

I installed a pair of 1N914's across the antenna input
terminals for future protection.

I hadn't thought of that. Mine is way out of warranty, so RS won't
mind. Thanks. I keep hoping I'll find a "non-working" DX-390/DX-392 at
a yard sale for a bargain price.

Best wishes.