RadioBanter

-   -   Robbery victim requests advice on replacement radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/38169-robbery-victim-requests-advice-replacement-radio.html)

Mike O'Sullivan September 14th 03 07:32 AM

Robbery victim requests advice on replacement radio

I was the unluicky victim of a clever distraction robbery on Friday. Just
about to return from holiday in Nice, in France and my camera holdall was
stolen while I was sitting with a cappucino in a cafe next to Nice SNCF
train station. Lost were passport, Pentax SLR camera, Motorola Timeport
cellphone AND my Sony ICF-SW1E SW/FM radio.

I'm just compiling my insurance claim and trying to find a current
equivalent to this radio, which I bought for £150 GBP in 1991. This does not
seem to be a current model, so I would be grateful for any recommendations
for a replacement of equal quality. I really liked this radio (pause for
quiet sob).

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Diverd4777 September 14th 03 11:52 AM

Hi Mike:
Bad, Bad luck.

( - But aside from that, hope you had a good time ) :)

Check on the link below and see if there is something similar . .

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_current.html

I use the Sangean 606A which is a remarkable little radio

Dan

In article , "Mike O'Sullivan"

Subject: Robbery victim requests advice on replacement radio

Mark Harper September 14th 03 12:56 PM

Hi Mike

I was the unluicky victim of a clever distraction robbery on Friday. Just
about to return from holiday in Nice, in France and my camera holdall was
stolen while I was sitting with a cappucino in a cafe next to Nice SNCF
train station. Lost were passport, Pentax SLR camera, Motorola Timeport
cellphone AND my Sony ICF-SW1E SW/FM radio.

I'm really sorry to hear that....:(

I remember the SW1E - nice (and small) radio....very good performance

I'm just compiling my insurance claim and trying to find a current
equivalent to this radio, which I bought for £150 GBP in 1991. This does not
seem to be a current model, so I would be grateful for any recommendations
for a replacement of equal quality. I really liked this radio (pause for
quiet sob).

I'd be grateful for any help.

Only one that comes to mind, is the Roberts 861/Sangean 909 - IIRC
Haydon's has the Sangean for 139 - although check latest prices - Maybe
W&S has it for similar....

Or possibly the 7600GR - Keeps with the Sony line.....

hope this helps, if not, get back to me!

Mark

Soliloquy September 14th 03 02:29 PM

Looks like Nice wasn't so nice after all.

Regards

Mike O'Sullivan September 14th 03 03:57 PM

"Soliloquy" wrote in message

Looks like Nice wasn't so nice after all.

Well, I never heard THAT before!! (irony mode).

Mike O'Sullivan September 14th 03 04:08 PM

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
Hi Mike:
Bad, Bad luck.
( - But aside from that, hope you had a good time ) :)

After the initial trauma I was rather sanguine about the hardwear loss (well
insured). It was the passport loss that gave me waking nightmares which
lasted through the visit to the Police Nationale cop station to get an
incident report, until I got eventually to Nice airport, but it couldn't
have been easier. French Easyjet ladies couldn't have been more helpful.
After a brief ID check and a telephone conversation with a British
immigration officer, I was just wafted through check in and boarding like
royalty.

Check on the link below and see if there is something similar . .

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_current.html

I use the Sangean 606A which is a remarkable little radio

Thanks for the link. I'm not familiar with Sangean, but it seems to be
marketed as Roberts in the UK. I'll look at their range.

Thanks again
Mike

Mike O'Sullivan September 14th 03 04:21 PM

"Mark Harper" wrote in message
om...
Hi Mike

Only one that comes to mind, is the Roberts 861/Sangean 909 - IIRC
Haydon's has the Sangean for 139 - although check latest prices - Maybe
W&S has it for similar....

Or possibly the 7600GR - Keeps with the Sony line.....

Thanks, I suspect this is marketed under another model number in the UK,
I'll check out the Sony UK site.

tommyknocker September 14th 03 05:24 PM

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

"Diverd4777" wrote in message

Check on the link below and see if there is something similar . .

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_current.html

I use the Sangean 606A which is a remarkable little radio

Thanks for the link. I'm not familiar with Sangean, but it seems to be
marketed as Roberts in the UK. I'll look at their range.

The current model (606AP) is listed in Passport as being equivalent to
the Roberts R617.

Mike O'Sullivan September 14th 03 06:34 PM

"Mike O'Sullivan" wrote in message

"Mark Harper" wrote in message
om...
Hi Mike

Only one that comes to mind, is the Roberts 861/Sangean 909 - IIRC
Haydon's has the Sangean for 139 - although check latest prices - Maybe
W&S has it for similar....

Or possibly the 7600GR - Keeps with the Sony line.....

Thanks, I suspect this is marketed under another model number in the UK,
I'll check out the Sony UK site.

I lied. It's clearly shown under that model no. on the UK site.