RadioBanter

-   -   Input on small travel/backpacking radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/38334-input-small-travel-backpacking-radio.html)

Rambler September 24th 03 08:08 PM

Input on small travel/backpacking radio

I am looking for input into whether to buy a new SW portable.
For 5 years I have had the Sangean ATS-808 that has been my only
shortwave. I have been very happy with its performance, though I have
missed not having SSB. Over the years, I have bought and returned a
Panasonic RFB-65, RS DX-398, and a Grundig YB400. Each time, when I
would compare it to the 808, it would not prove to be worth spending
any extra money. I also have slowed on my DXing.
I am now traveling monthly to Latin America (Mexico, Chile, Brazil,
Peru) and would like to have a small SW to use on my trips. I would
also use this radio as a backpacking radio. (I'd love to find one that
receives weather bands!)
My question is: Should I just take the 808 and save my money or are
there some much smaller radios that are fairly cheap, but would give
decent enough performance to justify a different radio? I will not be
trying to pull in very faint signals because I would not think the
clarity would be possible.

The only problem with the 808 is it is a bit big and there are times
where my suitcase space is really cramped. I don't want to pay more
than $200 for a radio, so the Sony sw100 is out.

I have considered the following:
Sony SW07- alot of money. I don't know that it is worth it unless its
performance will make me stop using the 808 at home.
Sangean 606- A good choice but too much like the 808. It would be like
kissing your sister.
Grundig Traveler VII- Nice and small, but I am concerned about
performance and value
Kchibo KKE-200- nice and cheap, but a good radio?
Grundig 100- nice and cheap, but a good radio?

Which radios would you suggest or should I just stick with the 808 and
use the money elsewhere?

Any comments are welcome.

Rambler

Warpcore September 24th 03 10:21 PM

I'd take what you got except that it might get hairy trying to get through
airports screening wouldn't it ? What happens when they x-ray the thing and
wipe out the chips g ?

Rambler September 25th 03 02:35 AM

"Warpcore" wrote in message link.net...
I'd take what you got except that it might get hairy trying to get through
airports screening wouldn't it ? What happens when they x-ray the thing and
wipe out the chips g ?

I didn't know the new x-ray would do this.
Is it an issue for all SWs?

I have also seen a review on a new Degen 1101 radio. That might be a soution too.

Still looking for input...

Rambler

Warpcore September 25th 03 02:52 AM

Yes, they use x-rays which will damage computer chips. I suppose you could
carry it in your hand and let them look in the inside to see there is no
bomb, but I just don't know. In order to protect it from x-rays, it would
need to be encased in lead, and you know they would have a fit if they saw
something on their machine that xrays would not penetrate. In order to be
sure, you might need to contact someone in the department that does
screening and see what they say about a shortwave radio.

Diverd4777 September 25th 03 03:50 AM

All:
I Have taken a Sangean 606A through several international airports without
a problem; Xrays and all.. !
I also have a SONY AN-LP1 with it; again, no problems!

Put it in a clear plastic box, with something line socks cushioning it. Put it
in the non-carry on luggage;

Believe me, it'll be Xrayed, checked, looked at, inspected etc..

- It'll be fine...

Dan

Burr September 25th 03 04:52 AM

My YB400 has been through half the airports in the world and hung,
dropped and banged for 10 years or so and it keeps on "ticking".
I also have the new "wind-up" Grundig FR200 and so far it works great.

Burr
Grundig's Sat800&650,YB400&FR200
Drake SW8 Scanners BC 895&245XLT
Sangean DT110(for Ball Games)
Also Have a Clock Radio!!!
N35.3582
W117.4157
South Left Coast, U.S.A.

Eric Ferguson September 25th 03 06:11 AM

You might check around and see about getting a Yaesu VR-500. I got mine on
eBay for under $200 (135?). I've seen them under 200 other places. It is
SMALL. Fits in the palm of your hand. Has the weather channels already
programmed in. Covers 100 Khz to 1,300 Mhz with some gaps (US version). Runs
on two AA batteries. Has AM/WFM/NFM/USB/LSB and NAM can be added witha few
keystrokes. 1,000 programmable channels, and a BandScope. But don't use the
supplied antenna. Get a good UHF/VHF antenna and the Radio Shack collapsible
antenna for SW. Just my two centavo's.....Eric

CW September 25th 03 06:22 AM

It won't.
"Rambler" wrote in message
om...

I didn't know the new x-ray would do this.

Rambler September 25th 03 01:40 PM

(Diverd4777) wrote in message ...
Put it in a clear plastic box, with something line socks cushioning it. Put it
in the non-carry on luggage;

Dan:

I don't check my bags. I would think it is better to carry on a small
radio rather than check it anyway. But what would you suggest if it is
an issue?

Rambler

[email protected] September 25th 03 02:06 PM

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:11:15 GMT, Eric Ferguson wrote:
You might check around and see about getting a Yaesu VR-500. I got mine on
eBay for under $200 (135?). I've seen them under 200 other places. It is
SMALL. Fits in the palm of your hand. Has the weather channels already
programmed in. Covers 100 Khz to 1,300 Mhz with some gaps (US version). Runs
on two AA batteries. Has AM/WFM/NFM/USB/LSB and NAM can be added witha few
keystrokes. 1,000 programmable channels, and a BandScope. But don't use the
supplied antenna. Get a good UHF/VHF antenna and the Radio Shack collapsible
antenna for SW. Just my two centavo's.....Eric

- have to echo the recommendation about the vr-500... very nice...

- take a little wire with a clip and you can leave the stock antenna
home (i soldered a clip onto a BNC connector and that's what i use)

- runs for a long time on 2 AAs and does it all ... you forgot CW, btw!

- the NAM mode will be very helpful if you listen to broadcast AM

- the leather case is pricey, but not too bad...

- alternatively, try the vr-120d - no keypad, but does a nice job
(like the vr-500) at scanning all freqs and SW - runs for a
looooooooonnnnnnnng time on AAs! a bit cheaper than the vr-500

- if you got the vr-500 for $135, you got a steal!

:-)