RadioBanter

-   -   Icom CR-64 Upgrade (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/38532-icom-cr-64-upgrade.html)

Andy Bown October 7th 03 09:23 PM

Icom CR-64 Upgrade

Hi all

What difference would the addition of the CR-64 temperature
compensated high stability oscillator make to my Icom R71? Is it only
useful for narrow CW listening, or would it improve performance when
listening to AM broadcasts in single sideband mode?

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Andy

Bob Parnass October 7th 03 10:17 PM

My IC-R71A was rock stable for CW, SSB, and AM use
without the optional CR-64 option.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Albert P. Belle Isle October 18th 03 02:11 AM

On 7 Oct 2003 13:23:23 -0700, (Andy Bown) wrote:

Hi all

What difference would the addition of the CR-64 temperature
compensated high stability oscillator make to my Icom R71? Is it only
useful for narrow CW listening, or would it improve performance when
listening to AM broadcasts in single sideband mode?

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Andy

I put one in my R71A years ago (and in my IC-751A, whose receiver
section is basically an R71A) to be able to accurately dial-in and sit
on digital mode signals.

It did improve the receiver's ability to keep a carefully tuned AM
signal in SSB sounding the same over time, but this improvement alone
wouldn't (IMHO) justify the modification for someone not interested in
utility monitoring.

The same goes for the corresponding mod for my R75 (which I also did).

Good listening,
Al
Location: 42N39, 71W09 (Near Boston, MA)
HF Antennas: 65ft TFD, 45ft T2FD, 28ft vertical, 65ft doublet
HF Receivers: Ten-Tec RX340, RX320, Harris R2368, Cubic R3030A
Decoders: Code300-32, Universal M-8000, PK-232MBX/DSP