RadioBanter

-   -   13.730MHZ @23:15 UTC (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39002-13-730mhz-%4023-15-utc.html)

N8KDV November 6th 03 10:44 PM

WG wrote:

I was just listening to it and what I am getting is the VOA.

I just checked the current VOA schedule and it does not show them using
13730. What time are you hearing VOA there?

Steve
Holland, MI

Drake R7, R8 and R8B
http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

"Jim Douglas" wrote in message
Anyone know this, very strong/clear here in Dallas. I think Radio

Österreich
International (ÖRF)?

Thanks,

Jim D

WG November 7th 03 01:52 AM

I just picked it up again and yes they seem to have a very wide signal. I
use a Yeasu FT-100d with no AM filter. I seem to get them the best at about
13.750 MHz. I would say that the read out is bang on but perhaps without the
filter it is throwing things off. I don't usually listen to AM but just
thought I would give it a listen to help this poster out.

N8KDV November 7th 03 10:56 AM

WG wrote:

I just picked it up again and yes they seem to have a very wide signal. I
use a Yeasu FT-100d with no AM filter. I seem to get them the best at about
13.750 MHz. I would say that the read out is bang on but perhaps without the
filter it is throwing things off. I don't usually listen to AM but just
thought I would give it a listen to help this poster out.

Yeah, that radio is a bit off. The poster was inquiring what was on the
frequency of 13730 at 2315 UTC... not at 0145, big time difference! Especially
in shortwave.

WG November 8th 03 03:09 AM

The radio is bang on or I would get complaints when transmitting. I didn't
see anyone else posting as to what this guy could have been listing to and
that is what I heard on 13.730 MHz. What does this squabble have to do with
helping out the poster?

N8KDV November 8th 03 11:30 AM

WG wrote:

The radio is bang on or I would get complaints when transmitting. I didn't
see anyone else posting as to what this guy could have been listing to and
that is what I heard on 13.730 MHz. What does this squabble have to do with
helping out the poster?

No squabble at all. Thing is though that you were not 'hearing' 13730 but rather
13740 and at at completely different time than what the poster was inquiring
about. That's it, nothing more. Stop trying to make it into anything else.

And, get that radio checked out, or learn how to zero-beat a station so you know
what frequency you're reporting/on, that would be helpful.

Tony Meloche November 9th 03 05:30 PM

Jim Douglas wrote:

Anyone know this, very strong/clear here in Dallas. I think Radio Österreich
International (ÖRF)?

Thanks,

Jim D

Well, the ILG logs say that's the only station on that frequency at
that time of day, FWIW.

Tony

N8KDV November 9th 03 07:45 PM

Tony Meloche wrote:

Jim Douglas wrote:

Anyone know this, very strong/clear here in Dallas. I think Radio Österreich
International (ÖRF)?

Thanks,

Jim D

Well, the ILG logs say that's the only station on that frequency at
that time of day, FWIW.

Tony

And once again the ILG would be wrong!

Steve Silverwood November 25th 03 09:04 AM

In article xlWpb.106513$HS4.889659@attbi_s01, jim.douglas@genesis-
software.com says...
Anyone know this, very strong/clear here in Dallas. I think Radio =D6ster=

reich
International (=D6RF)?

Here's why I always make sure I have the latest copy of Passport to=20
World Band Radio handy. In the "Blue Pages" you can look up a frequency=20
and see who is scheduled to broadcast on that frequency at what time.

There are three publications that I absolutely MUST have for my=20
shortwave listening, in order of priority:

1) Monitoring Times magazine
2) Passport to World Band Radio
3) World Radio and Television Handbook

Monitoring Times (www.monitoringtimes.com) functions as a "TV Guide for=20
Shortwave" for me. With 20 pages each month devoted to broadcast=20
schedules and featured programs, it's a must-have. I get mine in the=20
"MT Express" version, which is an Adobe Acrobat PDF file I download each=20
month. Grove sends out an email to their MT Express subscribers on the=20
20th of each month with the FTP information to download the file. Since=20
it's a PDF, I save each copy to CD-ROM for future reference. Also, they=20
are so attentive to detail that when you see a URL for a web site in the=20
text of an article, you can click on that URL in Acrobat Reader and=20
it'll bring up your web browser on that site! And the table of contents=20
also has that ability -- click on an item in the TOC and go straight to=20
that page in the magazine. Well done, Bob!

(I cheat a little -- once I've downloaded mine, I go in with Acrobat and=20
copy out the text of the hourly broadcast schedules to a text file, then=20
I convert that to Microsoft Reader format and keep it on my PocketPC=20
palmtop computer. That way I have it in electronic form wherever I am!)

I've already explained one reason why I have to have the current=20
Passport book (www.passband.com, also available from Amazon.com,=20
Universal Radio, Ham Radio Outlet, and just about anywhere else you can=20
think of). Not only are the Blue Pages of infinite value to me, but the=20
annual reviews of various receivers are of great use. They also have=20
the addresses and QSL information for just about every shortwave=20
broadcaster you may expect to find on the air.

The WRTH book is a great reference for broadcasters in other areas of=20
the spectrum besides shortwave. If you're DXing the AM broadcast band,=20
for example, you can pretty easily find the address for the station so=20
you can send your reception reports. (Since MW DXing is only a side=20
interest in my radio listening, it's not as high a priority for me as=20
the other two, but it's definitely up there.)

My one complaint is that I wish there were more publishers that followed=20
Bob Grove's example and published in PDF format. It's a widely-used=20
format, cuts down on the use of paper, and is in my opinion far more=20
useful than the traditional paper format. I would gladly plunk down my=20
bucks right this second if I could get Passport and WRTH in some=20
electronic format, either PDF or perhaps a CD-ROM-based format.

=20

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA