RadioBanter

-   -   Cubic R-3030A (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39029-cubic-r-3030a.html)

Mark S. Holden November 8th 03 05:13 AM

"Albert P. Belle Isle" wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:14:56 -0500, "Mark S. Holden"
wrote:

Rick wrote:

The cubic was designed for remote operation, so working them with the keypad and tuning knob is awkward. Changing just about anything but the frequency with the keypad requires you to start by hitting "cancel" first.

Not true on my 3030A, Mark. Any control can be entered from the keypad
by first hitting its function key. Once a function key is hit, the
knob controls the function setting you've selected, untill you hit
other keys. If you just hit function-value-enter, you're right back in
control mode with the knob (and keys) not connected to anything.

Once you get used to the system, it's very logical. Until you do, it's
the kind of "logical" that can be infuriating about computer
interfaces, and some people just don't like it.

Good listening,
Al
Location: 42N39, 71W09 (Near Boston, MA)
HF Antennas: 65ft TFD, 45ft T2FD, 28ft vertical, 65ft doublet
HF Receivers: Ten-Tec RX340, RX320, Harris R2368, Cubic R3030A
Decoders: Code300-32, Universal M-8000, PK-232MBX/DSP

His is also limited to one filter for sideband - I think he said it was 2.3khz. Perhaps he has the non a version or a R2411.

I don't know how build quality on the Harris 590/2368 compares to the 550, but on the 550 the only modules that aren't individually shielded are the control modules. Four of them are lumped together in one section.

Rick November 8th 03 09:50 AM

Al,
Very nice description of the radio and it's usage. Thank you very much for
taking the time to explain it. It sheds a whole new light on my decision on
which receiver I wll end up with.

What I'll be using the radio for is digging out the really weak signals,
whether it be voice or data mode. Extened hours of listening at times as
well. I only wish I could try before I buy, it would make it easier
deciding.

Again thanks for taking the time.
It's so nice to read informaton from individuals so dedicated to the hobby.

73's
Rick

Albert P. Belle Isle November 8th 03 02:27 PM

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 00:13:01 -0500, "Mark S. Holden"
wrote:

His is also limited to one filter for sideband - I think he said it was 2.3khz. Perhaps he has the non a version or a R2411.

I don't know how build quality on the Harris 590/2368 compares to the 550, but on the 550 the only modules that aren't individually shielded are the control modules. Four of them are lumped together in one section.

Mark,

If it's a 3030A, the most appropriate filter for SSB is the 3.2, which
is a symmetric filter, unlike the 2368 which has an offset 2.7kHz
filter for each sideband.

The Cubic set-up allows any filter in any mode, and also provides an
IF offset control - which the Harris doesn't. The Harris also decides
for you which filter subset is "appropriate" for the demodulation mode
you select - in SSB there's only one choice in that subset.

The 2360 does, indeed, have separate, shielded modules, but they're a
hodge-podge collection of various size/shape boxes piled next to and
on top of one another. The Cubic's modules are all uniform and line up
in two neat rows - one for each receiver - with each receiver's module
for a particluar function next to that of its neighbor receiver.

In fairness, the Harris RF-590 family are fine, general communications
receivers - not surveillance/intercept receivers. There's nothing
wrong with their shielding - it's just that the Cubic 3030 family has
that "cost-be-damnned" look that goes with things bought from the
absolute best source under the Black Budget, versus equipment for the
sailors in the radio room bought via competitive bid.

Neither of these analog-IF receivers can hold a candle to a Ten-Tec
RX340 in performance - whether for digital or broadcast signals. It,
however, is a shirt-sleeve-environment, 12 pound, commercial-quality
receiver. Its long use as a spook receiver notwithstanding, it's not a
Mil-Spec box like the Harris, let alone the Cubic.