RadioBanter

-   -   travelling to thailand (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39081-travelling-thailand.html)

Diverd4777 November 14th 03 03:45 AM

If you Really need SSB consider the Sangeans 505A or Sony 7600..

In article , tommyknocker
writes:

John wrote:

(Diverd4777) wrote in message
Alee
Ditto:
Sangean 606A;
GREAT portable for program listening

I have used this model in Southeast Asia as well with great success
for BBC. But I wonder for my next month long trip coming up soon
about buying a model with single side band capability. Would this
give me reception of AFRTS SW broadcasts? Can those broadcasts be
picked up in Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam? It looks like the main voice
channel has NPR and lots of interesting programming.

There is an AFRTS relay at Diego Garcia; that will probably be the
stream you hear best. AFRTS feeders are always in SSB but they're on odd
freqs (including some that end in .5 khz) so check to see if the radio
you're considering covers them.

John November 14th 03 04:13 AM

tommyknocker wrote in message ...

There is an AFRTS relay at Diego Garcia; that will probably be the
stream you hear best. AFRTS feeders are always in SSB but they're on odd
freqs (including some that end in .5 khz) so check to see if the radio
you're considering covers them.

Thanks, looks like Diego Garcia is on Diego Garcia Upper Sideband
12579 kHz (days) and 4319 kHz (nights)--I'm assuming that either the
Sangean ATS-505P or Sony ICF-SW7600GR would get these frequencies.

John November 14th 03 02:10 PM

(grumpus) wrote in message . com...
You might also look into the Degen
DE1102/Kaito KA1102, a new model which the 2004 Passport has given
high marks to. For one hundred smackers, this model sounds hard to
beat. As Passport says, nothing "...else under $100 with
single-sideband capability even comes close." This model is smaller
than the Sangean 606A, has a three inch speaker which has better than
average audio for its class, comes with a power adaptor, three
rechargeable batteries which recharge inside the radio, and very
clever, has a backlit display and keypad for nighttime operation. The
Kaito version comes with a 120V adaptor, the Degen with a 220V
adaptor. I'm mighty tempted to purchase one of these myself.

Regards,

Grumpus

This sounds like a great unit for me. Thanks for info!

Diverd4777 November 14th 03 07:21 PM

John:

Although the DE1102/Kaito KA1102 unit sounds great,
And I just may get one ( * Someday ! *)

I'd check into how well it does over time;
It's a fairly new unit;
& Thailand might be rough on rechargable batteries..
& other small electrical components, etc..

Might consider a unit running off " regular" batteries first

- Just my 2 cents worth..

Dan