RadioBanter

-   -   Panasonic RF-9000 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39307-panasonic-rf-9000-a.html)

Rick November 29th 03 04:23 PM

Panasonic RF-9000

Does anyone have any experience with this receiver?

I'm looking at one on Ebay now and the price seems a little high. It was
expensive when new $2900-3800. Ebay starting price GBP 1,999.99.

What was so special about this radio that would warrant such a high price?
I've been looking for reviews and haven't found any.

--
73's
Rick

"When in doubt, mumble."

N8KDV November 29th 03 04:50 PM

Rick wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with this receiver?

I'm looking at one on Ebay now and the price seems a little high. It was
expensive when new $2900-3800. Ebay starting price GBP 1,999.99.

What was so special about this radio that would warrant such a high price?
I've been looking for reviews and haven't found any.

--
73's
Rick

"When in doubt, mumble."

They are very scarce, and there were very few of them made. I've seen them go
for well over $1000 on eBay, and if this one is in as good condition as stated
it just might fetch the opening price, though it is a bit high.

Some collector out there is drooling as I type...

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Rick November 29th 03 05:01 PM

SNIP

They are very scarce, and there were very few of them made. I've seen them

go
for well over $1000 on eBay, and if this one is in as good condition as

stated
it just might fetch the opening price, though it is a bit high.

Some collector out there is drooling as I type...

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

How was it as a performer? For the price it went for originally, it had
better be a excellent performer. Especially since it is somewhat of a
portable receiver.

73's
Rick

N8KDV November 29th 03 05:05 PM

Rick wrote:

How was it as a performer? For the price it went for originally, it had
better be a excellent performer. Especially since it is somewhat of a
portable receiver.

Don't know myself. I recall that there may have been a review of the RF-9000 in
a copy of the WRTH, but I looked and I don't seem to have that particular year.
Perhaps someone else out there can do a look see and see if they reviewed it.

elg110254 November 29th 03 08:11 PM

Rick, from Rainer Lichte 1985 tome "Radio Receivers- Chance or Choice" in his
summary review of Panasonic's RF-9000: "The question: is it worth it? seems
unavoidable. Most certainly this receiver does not give the equivalent of about
three grand in shortwave performance. It is however a masterpiece of
engineering, showing how micro-processor-control and a synthesizer can be used
to build a nearly automatic SWL-device. The operational concept is a step into
the future. This RF-9000 is a prototype of state-of-the-art techniques. A
reduction in size and cost while retaining most of interesting automated
features should be a worthwhile task for the gifted engineers in Japan".
S.W.A.R.L. # WA6020SWL !!!

Stephan Grossklass November 29th 03 08:37 PM

Rick schrieb:

How was it as a performer?

http://www.dr-boesch.ch/ says: Disappointing when considering the
~US$3000 price tag. So it's rather a collector's item. I'd assume the
somewhat older Sony CRF-320 was better then, even if tuning SSB signals
was a bit of a challenge (only one tuning speed and a non-ideal AGC
setting, but apart from that excellent inner values as well as
reception). Another of these insanely expensive luggables was the
RF-8000, a model that seems even less known than the RF-9000. That seems
to have good performance, as far as to be judged from
http://www.classic-audio.com/RF8000.html.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 448 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W

Rick November 29th 03 08:49 PM

Thank you very much for that information, I truly do appreciate it.

Now I know why the receiver was so expensive and why the value has held it
own over the years. Of course being scarse as it is holds the value as
well. I don't think it's a purchase that I want to make. I'm a collector of
sorts, but not of SW receivers.

73's
Rick

AEllery November 29th 03 10:07 PM

Subject: Panasonic RF-9000
From: "Rick"
Date: 11/29/03 10:23 AM Eastern Standard Time
Does anyone have any experience with this receiver?

There's 2 paragraphs on the RF-9000 in the '87 RDI. It called the RF-9000
"Ridiculously overpriced and grossly overweight..nevertheless performs quite
well" Their thoughts were the NRD-525 was a better radio at a lower cost
(except for audio).

Allen

dxace1 August 23rd 12 10:19 PM

Last year I was lucky enough to obtain a virtually new in box RF-9000 from a well-known European seller. Paid a premium price for it, but again it was essentially new, with original and outer box. None of the accessories hd been opened or used and it has the full manual as well as repair schematics (though I personally won't be going into it to do anything). All I can say is, yes this is one of the holy grails of shortwave listening, along with the much more common SONY CRF-330K / LCD clock version, and high end JRC or similar premium receivers.

The 9000, contrary to some who have commented here, was not expected to be a top performer, though for the price it sold for new it probably should have been. It is extremely sensitive however, has three selectivity options, numerous tuning speed options, and using it like driving a Ferrari. There's nothing quite like using something like this.

My only criticism, and I believe this is something that was a design issue, is that this was one of the original PLL circuits and it puts out synthesizer noise across the bands. But FM will blow you away, using the amazing speakers this thing has.

I have seen other 9000s on EBay, but none in the condition this one is in, and it is likely one of a kind in that respect. There are some U.S.-based radio sellers who have a 9000 and may still have it for sale.

In the meantim