RadioBanter

-   -   Cheap Rxr with 12 kHz IF (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39412-cheap-rxr-12-khz-if.html)

Simon December 5th 03 09:20 PM

Cheap Rxr with 12 kHz IF

Can anyone suggest a cheapish portable SW receiver with a (roughly) 12
kHz IF stage - which isn't difficult to get at.

I think it's time to experiment with DRM.

Simon

Simon December 6th 03 10:59 PM

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:45:46 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

"Simon" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone suggest a cheapish portable SW receiver with a (roughly) 12
kHz IF stage - which isn't difficult to get at.

I think it's time to experiment with DRM.

Simon

12 kHz IF ?????

Yep, that's what I thought.

The only free way to decode the DRM data stream is using a software
program called DREAM (search for dream.exe)

It requires a 12kHz IF to interface to a PC Soundcard. However I may
just take the more usual 450 ish and mix it down to 12 kHz.

Simon

RHF December 7th 03 04:37 AM

Simon wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:45:46 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

"Simon" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone suggest a cheapish portable SW receiver with a (roughly) 12
kHz IF stage - which isn't difficult to get at.

I think it's time to experiment with DRM.

Simon

12 kHz IF ?????

Yep, that's what I thought.

The only free way to decode the DRM data stream is using a software
program called DREAM (search for dream.exe)

It requires a 12kHz IF to interface to a PC Soundcard. However I may
just take the more usual 450 ish and mix it down to 12 kHz.

Simon

Simon,

They are talking about a 1st Stage 12kHz IF Band Width at a 455kHz IF
Frequency.
- - - NOT a 12kHz IF Frequency.

NOTE: Most 1st Stage IFs in "Cheap Receivers" fall into a Band Width
Range of 5-9 kHz.

wmcis ~ RHF

..

..

Charlie December 7th 03 12:56 PM

I read thru the link you gave a mod for the Sangean ATS-803A
(RadioiShack
DX-440) The mod seems very easy Theres a link to the PDF mod file.
These radios are avao;ab;e on EBay under $125- regularly

Simon wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:45:46 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

.. .

Jim Shaffer, Jr. December 7th 03 11:41 PM

On 6 Dec 2003 20:37:27 -0800, (RHF) wrote:

It requires a 12kHz IF to interface to a PC Soundcard. However I may
just take the more usual 450 ish and mix it down to 12 kHz.

They are talking about a 1st Stage 12kHz IF Band Width at a 455kHz IF
Frequency.
- - - NOT a 12kHz IF Frequency.

If it was at 455 kHz you wouldn't be able to decode it with a sound card.

Certainly it's not normal to have a 12 kHz IF on an analog receiver, but I don't
know why you couldn't call a 12 kHz output an IF since you're feeding it to what
is in effect another demodulator stage. The makers of the TenTec RX-320 and the
WinRadio G303 call it an IF. The TenTec precedes DRM, in fact -- the 12 kHz
signal is fed to an internal DSP for demodulation in conventional modes, the
output jack for DRM was added later. The WinRadio G303 was conceived after the
DRM specifications were released, but also uses the sound card to digitally
demodulate analog modes.

Rob Mills December 8th 03 06:18 AM

TenTec shows, "1st I-F 45 MHz, 2nd I-F 455 kHz, 3rd I-F 12 kHz" for their
RX320 in the spec sheet. RM~