RadioBanter

-   -   Mackay 3041A (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39685-mackay-3041a.html)

Rick December 21st 03 03:16 PM

Mackay 3041A

Does anyone one know anything about this receiver? I have a chance to buy
one and wanted anyones opinion on what they are like. I couldn't find much
online about it.

--
73's
Rick

Drake R8 R8B
ICOM R75
Yaesu 7700
Hammarlund SP-600-JX-17

"When in doubt, mumble."

Bob Parnass December 21st 03 10:08 PM

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:16:49 +0000, Rick wrote:

Mackay 3041A
Does anyone one know anything about this receiver? I have a chance to buy
one and wanted anyones opinion on what they are like. I couldn't find much
online about it.

I have an ITT Mackay Marine 3031A, which is for
sale locally (in IL). The 3031A is the same
receiver as the 3041A, but with an RTTY position instead of LSB on
the mode switch.

I use mine for AM BCB DX listening and some HF UTE listening.
The 3031A/3041A don't have notch filters, memories, or some of the
other nice features found in hobby radios. That said, the
3031A/3041A are considerably more rugged and contain a
tuneable preselector which keeps AM BCB stations out of
the LF and VLF bands.

The internal costruction is modular. Each module is built inside
its own metal sub-cabinet which is connected via a ribbon cable
to the rest of the radio. You can actually remove a module
from the radio and the whole thing still works while the module
is connected via its "umbilical cord."

There are some blurry photos of my 3031A at:
http://parnass.com/sale.html

The 3031A and 3041A were sold in beige and dark gray
paint schemes, but most of the ones I've seen are beige.

As far as I know, Mackay was bought but still in business
and supplying parts. You can check with other Mackay
users on the Premium Receiver email list. The group web
page is:

http://kahuna.sdsu.edu/~mechtron/PremRxPage/

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Mark S. Holden December 22nd 03 04:27 AM

Rick wrote:

Mackay 3041A
Does anyone one know anything about this receiver? I have a chance to buy
one and wanted anyones opinion on what they are like. I couldn't find much
online about it.

--
73's
Rick

Drake R8 R8B
ICOM R75
Yaesu 7700
Hammarlund SP-600-JX-17

"When in doubt, mumble."

A friend has the 3031a.

The audio is harsh, but I suspect he could fix that easily enough if he replaced the audio caps.

He has a variety of radios, and uses his 3031a primarily for RTTY. He feels it's exceptionally well suited for that. (He uses a WJ for AM, and a Harris 550 for sideband, and a Cubic 3030 to fill a hole in the HF rack.)

Build quality is quite good, and it's very stable.

The Mackay was apparently used primarily on ships.

As a general rule, it does make sense to get a service manual when you buy a rack mount radio. The ones I have for my Harris and WJ equipment are good enough that someone with a very basic understanding of electronics could perform just about any repair
if they had the right test equipment. My experience with the service manual for the Racal 6790 wasn't as good. I don't know if my friend has a manual for his Mackay so I can't comment on how helpful it might be.

Regards,

Mark

Rick December 22nd 03 11:45 AM

I want to thank everyone for your feeback. It was informative and
appreciated.

I decided not to buy the receiver, even though the price I guess was right
a tad over 500.00? The seller said it was in perfect working condition even
though none of the pics I had showed the unit running.

I'll wait and look for a Harris or a Racal. There is a Harris on Ebay now
that's not working. Something about the " frequency standard module
defective".

Thanks again.
Rick

Mark S. Holden December 22nd 03 01:01 PM

Rick wrote:

[...]

The price you mentioned is a good one for the Mackay.

On the Harris rf=550 on ebay, it would be good to make sure the problem isn't really the high band PLL module - it runs in the 170 mhz range, and it's probably the toughest module to work on.

Radio Esoterica has ones that have been tested and burned in for 24 hours for $695.

http://www.radioesoterica.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=12

My only connection with them is I bought my 550 from them a few years ago. Their detailed description of the 550 has some factual errors - for example the SSB filter is 3.2khz, not 6.

The 550 remains my favorite radio for listening. If you get one, I'd be happy to explain how to use the sync detector - (Harris calls it AFC) It's one of those things that could take hours to figure out, but once you know the trick, it's easy as can be.

Regards,

Mark

RadioiGuy December 22nd 03 07:16 PM

Rick wrote in message
I want to thank everyone for your feeback. It was informative and
appreciated.

I decided not to buy the receiver, even though the price I guess was

right
a tad over 500.00? The seller said it was in perfect working condition

even
though none of the pics I had showed the unit running.

I'll wait and look for a Harris or a Racal. There is a Harris on Ebay

now
that's not working. Something about the " frequency standard module
defective".

Thanks again.
Rick

Howdy Rick...

Very wise choice not to get it... I used them for years and they were not
the best to be sure---I simply was not impressed.. My R-71A's out performed
them hands down. In more than one instance the R-71A pulled out a signal
that the 3031 couldn't hear. Close in to port they were easily overloaded
by AM broadcasters---even with the preselector.

Using the service manual and tracing the wiring diagram from page to page
was an act in frustration. I often read of heated comments written in the
service manual by others servicing the radio---I added my own!

Just to change out a defective audio gain control required the front panel
to be stripped (ripped) off---it's stuck on with contact adhesive or
double-sided tape---I had to do this in a war zone! I was able to remove
the panel without bending it too much but I am certain that any front panel
controls that need changing will also require a new front panel. After I
replaced the pot I found the part numbering in the service manual was
incorrect for the part I changed out and I had to put the old one back in!
Fortunately I had Sailor HF set up and a spare receiver.

Spare parts from Mackay? You could expect to pay a small fortune that would
shock a salty sailor! I never did find out how much those meter lamps cost
for the 3031 but I sure had to hang a little bag of them on the rear
panel---they were changed out at least once every six weeks. I remember
ordering a 2 inch nylon caps to cover the hole where the crank handle was
fitted on our lifeboat radio---Mackay wanted $75.00 each! A pair of caps
off an Amphenol connector did the trick instead.

Yup... it's all modular construction... so how do you repair it without a
test fixture to plug the module in to---to get at the components? I just
don't recall if extender boards were available for this receiver---I never
saw them in my spares lockers on any of the ships I sailed on.

RG

Rick December 22nd 03 08:01 PM

SNIP
[...]

Mark,
Thank you for all your input, it's been a real help and very informative.

I contacted the sales dept of radioesoterica.com. They currently don't
have more Harris rf-550 in stock and was told they are hard to come by and
sell out almost immediately when they get them in.

So now what do I do? I could wait until they have one in stock or I could
buy the Harris RF 590 or buy another receiver. I'll probably drop sales a
line and ask them if they could let me know when one was available. (If they
will.) What do you think? Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Rick

Bob Parnass December 22nd 03 08:22 PM

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:16:38 +0000, RadioiGuy wrote:

... it's all modular construction... so how do you repair it without a
test fixture to plug the module in to---to get at the components? I just
don't recall if extender boards were available for this receiver---I never
saw them in my spares lockers on any of the ships I sailed on.

I'm not sure we're writing about the same radio.
The Mackay 3031A doesn't employ extender boards because
the modules are connected by ribbon cables to the rest
of the radio. You can remove an entire module several inches
away from the radio and it will still function because
it is connected electronically.

After several years, I've not had to replace the
lamp -- only the memory battery.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Rick December 22nd 03 08:35 PM

SNIP

[...]

RG,

Well I'm sure glad I didn't buy it now. I don't need that kind of a
headache. I'm fairly good with electronics but not to the extent where I'm
going to have to do surgury on the radio just to make a simple repair. I am
also not interested in bank rolling some supply company just for a few spare
parts. The price of the radio wasn't bad but I think I'd be paying dearly in
the long run.

I do want to purchase a "Premium Receiver", I'll just have to keep looking
and maybe shell out a little more cash to get one that is more reliable.
I've been leaning towards the Harris, so when one becomes available I'll
probably purchase it.

Rick