RadioBanter

-   -   Loop antenna question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39708-loop-antenna-question.html)

Dave December 23rd 03 02:57 AM

Loop antenna question

I just got through picking up a ton of discontinued wire from my local Home
Depot, and was planning on building a "broomstick" antenna like some I found
described on the net. Got a question though: doesn't "stretching out" the
coil to a meter or more reduce the inductance of the resulting coil? Why
wouldn't it work better to just leave it on the spool? I was under the
impression that the formula for calculating the inductance for a given coil
involved multiplying the square of the number of coils by the ratio of the
coil width to length. Wouldn't this mean that a "longer" coil would have a
lower inductance than a "shorter" coil, given the same length of wire and
approximate diameter of coils?

Forgive me if I'm being stupid here, it has been twenty years since I have
attempted anything like this, but that was what I thought.

The main account I am thinking of was related by someone in Saudi Arabia who
wrapped 1.2 kM of wire around a piece of PVC and vastly improved their
reception of WWV in the states. I was going to do something similar, and
then looked at the two spools of wire that I was about to unwrap. They are
already coils, so shouldn't I be able to just hook them up to an aligator
clip and stick this to my whip antenna? (I am now thinking about taking the
wire off of the smaller spool and adding it to the larger. Shouldn't that
work?) And if I leave the wire on the spools (which are plastic) couldn't I
turn them toward or away from the station of interest to further improve
reception? (I could even put this in my attic, gaining a few feet of
elevation and hiding it from my unappreciative wife.)

Any input on any part of this idea is more than welcome. I would greaty
value the opinions of those who have actually done something like one of
these two options.

Thanks,

Dave

Brenda Ann December 23rd 03 03:15 AM

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Inductance isn't all there is to an antenna.. you need capture area, too.
Broomstick antennas are not all that good, and are not very efficient. Yes,
they look good on paper, as the 'electrical length' is much longer than that
much straight wire, but without capture area, the efficeincy drops way off.
You're better with a longwire, even just a few meters (yards) run along the
eaves of your house.

CW December 23rd 03 06:14 AM

I won't go into detail but the broomstick (or any helicaly wound antenna)
gives up performance for size. The straiter the wire, the better off you
are. If you have the space, just stretch it out strait.

Tony Meloche December 23rd 03 06:35 AM

CW wrote:

I won't go into detail but the broomstick (or any helicaly wound antenna)
gives up performance for size. The straiter the wire, the better off you
are. If you have the space, just stretch it out strait.

Experimentation and experience have taught me that this is
basically correct. "Broomstick" antennas give pretty good performance
in a very compact space - they are even (marginally) "portable". But
for signal-pulling ability, they'll never beat a well-thought-out
longwire or randomwire. If you can tuck a one-meter broomstick into
your car somewhere for traveling, you've got the world
by the butt for shortwave listening away from home. But at home - your
"permanent space" - go with a random or longwire, if you possibly can.

Tony

Dave December 23rd 03 08:14 AM

Hmm. Okay. Only I don't have much outside space available. I *might* be
able to manage 20-30 feet of random wire, but that is about it. And I have
more than a mile of small-guage wire on these two spools. I was planning on
wrapping it around a five-foot long piece of 4 inch PVC and standing it
behind a closet door. Since my last last message I tried a very crude
"hook-up" with one of the spools of wire and got absolutely no improvement
in reception. Now I understand why, thanks to you good people.

Back to the 20-30' piece of random wi my only option is to run it out the
window and along the top rail of the fence in the back yard. Would this
really outdo a massive broomstick antenna?

Thanks for the input. You've all got me thinking.

Dave

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups

=---

Joe Strain December 23rd 03 01:37 PM

The currrent in the wire produces an electromagnetic field which has a
defined radius.

The field coil of a motor is used to turn it into a magnet so the motor will
work...stretch out the windings, no emf imposed upon the core..no
magnet-action-no work

Stretch it out, you exceed the radius of the electromagnetic field, no
interaction, no function.

The whole purpose of the antenna in coil-structure is to use the induced emf
to create a load on the antenna so it "thinks" it is longer

Yodar

Diverd4777 December 23rd 03 02:27 PM

Brenda et al:

This statement facinates me:

related by someone in Saudi Arabia
who
wrapped 1.2 kM of wire around a piece of PVC and vastly improved their
reception of WWV in the states.

1.2 kM of wire; Heck of a lot of capture area !

Is there some ratio of loop diameter and spacing between the wire loops that
results in the most capture area?

There is a nice ratio of mirror diameter to magnification limits in telescopes
This is the analogy I was thinking of.

Dan

Mark S. Holden December 23rd 03 03:31 PM

Tony Meloche wrote:

CW wrote:

I won't go into detail but the broomstick (or any helicaly wound antenna)
gives up performance for size. The straiter the wire, the better off you
are. If you have the space, just stretch it out strait.

snip If you can tuck a one-meter broomstick into
your car somewhere for traveling, you've got the world
by the butt for shortwave listening away from home. But at home - your
"permanent space" - go with a random or longwire, if you possibly can.

Tony

For portable use, I've found the AT-271/A antenna designed for the PRC-25 or PRC-77 works quite well. It's about 10' long, and it's set up like the supports used for dome tents - to take it down - you pull the sections apart (they have a chain/shock cord
running through them) and fold them for storage.

I got it he http://www.american-milspec.com/c765.html

Unfortunately, it's just a hair too long to fit inside the aluminum attaché case I transport my 7030 in.

Personally, I think I'd use a slinky over a broom stick. More compact for travel, and if you have more room, you can spread it out.

Dave December 23rd 03 04:37 PM

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Hmm. Okay. Only I don't have much outside space available. I *might*

be
able to manage 20-30 feet of random wire, but that is about it. And I

have
more than a mile of small-guage wire on these two spools. I was

planning
on
wrapping it around a five-foot long piece of 4 inch PVC and standing it
behind a closet door. Since my last last message I tried a very crude
"hook-up" with one of the spools of wire and got absolutely no

improvement
in reception. Now I understand why, thanks to you good people.

Back to the 20-30' piece of random wi my only option is to run it out

the
window and along the top rail of the fence in the back yard. Would this
really outdo a massive broomstick antenna?

Almost anything will outdo a broomstick antenna. 30' of longwire along

your
fence (presuming it is wood, and not steel) would do a great job. Even
better still would be to run it around your rafters (presuming again that
they are not concrete or aluminum siding or such). Either way, I would use
some kind of standoffs (you can find them at hardware stores, or make your
own from old thread spools).

Okay, so here's the problem. The fence is metal, and the house is covered
with steel siding. My DX-402 does pick up BBC on 5975 pretty well with just
the whip (next to a window), but VOK is extremely weak to vanishing. (This
last one is what I want the broomstick antenna for.) If I do go with the
broomstick, should I stick with the five-foot piece that I already have cut,
or go with a longer eight-foot piece which will still fit nicely in the
corner I have in mind. Or should I go all out with a ten-foot piece (or
even multiples maybe) and put it in the attic? Also, what type of ground
should I use? I could run a ground wire out the window to a ground rod that
is as old as the house, but that's about my only option (the house predates
three-prong plugs with a real ground.)

I really appreciate your thoughts on these things. You obviously know a lot
more about this stuff than I do.

Thanks,

Dave

Diverd4777 December 23rd 03 05:58 PM

In article , "Dave"
writes:

Or should I go all out with a ten-foot piece of 4 inch PVC (or
even multiples maybe) and put it in the attic?

If the attic is non-metal, I'd try this solution ..

RHF December 23rd 03 07:43 PM

DAVE,

Concerning the BroomStick Antenna:
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx.../bromstik.html
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...al/broom2.html
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx.../tunestik.html
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx.../tunstik2.html

IIRC: The 1.2kM of wire was wrapped on a piece of PVC Pipe
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...al/broom3.html
- - - "improved model is 6 m (18Ft) of 4 Inch OD PVC"
(Section of Well Lining that was over 18 Foot Long.)
= = = Effectively a 18 Foot Vertical Antenna.
"I mounted the 6 m (18Ft) portion vertically, and the 2.5 m (7.5 Ft)
section horizontally (a "reverted "L"" system). I added in my 250 m
(750 Ft) Random Long Wire (it was there, so why not use it?), grounded
the thing and in great anticipation, plugged it into the radio.
- - - The results were more than amazing." - by Marty Leipzig

HELLO! Forget the BroomStick [.]
TBL: This Guy had a 750 Ft Random Wire Antenna !

When your 'think' of a Broom Stick Antenna that has a size small
wire tightly wrapped along a length of PVC Pipe. Just consider
the piece of PVC Pipe an equal section of Aluminum Tubing; and
not much more.

Better to try a Eight Foot Section of 2"-3" PVC Pipe with a
single wire wrapped in three coils on it.
* Use a 500 Foot Spool of #14 AWG Insulated 19 Stranded Wire.
* Each "Coil" set to resonate at a different band of your choice.
* Each "Coil" spaced 1'-2' apart on the PVC Pipe.

IMHO: The BrommStick Antenna is a 'good idea' for Apartment
Residents stuck with a single outside facing window.
- - - Been There, Done That !

REMEMBER: The ANTENNA + GROUND SYSTEM is . . .
55.5% of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna+Ground Reception Equation.

All are WELCOME at this "Antenna Ashram"
+ Who Seek Better Reception
+ + And a Clear Understanding
+ + + From That Which Transcends the Ether and Beyond.

WHE "SWL Antennas and AM & FM Antennas" eGroup on YAHOO !
- When You NEED to Contemplate the
- - "Aerial High" and the
- - - "True Meaning of Ground".

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Dave"

RHF December 23rd 03 07:48 PM

TM,

Good Accessment of the BroomStick Antenna.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Tony Meloche

RHF December 23rd 03 08:40 PM

= = = "Dave"
= = = wrote in message ...

Hmm. Okay. Only I don't have much outside space available.
I *might* be able to manage 20-30 feet of random wire, but
that is about it.

=R= Assuming that his is NOT a Metal Fence.

Another: [Hidden] "On-the-Fence" Random Wire Antenna

HOW TO: Use a short section of Fence for a
Low Level "Folded" Random Wire Antenna.

* Run a Coax Cable out to the Bottom of the Fence.
(Can be TV type 75 Ohm Coax Cable)

* Install a Ground Rod / Ground Wire HERE.
(If you have a Metal Fence Post Anchors ?
Use One as the Ground Point.)

* Use a Matching Transformer to connect the Antenna Element
to the Coax Cable.
(This can be a TV type 30075 Ohm Matching Transformer.

* Route the "WIRE" (Antenna Element) from the Starting-End of
the Fence; about one foot above and paralell to the ground to
the Far-End of the Fence.
* * Then go "UP" Vertically for about a foot.
* * Next route the Wire parallel to the ground; back to the
Starting-End of the Fence.
* * Then go "UP" Vertically for about a foot.
* * Next route the Wire parallel to the ground; back to the
Far-End of the Fence.
* * Then go "UP" Vertically for about a foot.
* * Next route the Wire parallel to the ground; back to the
Starting-End of the Fence.
* * Then go "UP" Vertically for about a foot.
* * Next route the Wire parallel to the ground; back to the
Far-End of the Fence.
= = = 100Ft - 150Ft Random Wire Antenna
(5 X 20Ft = 100Ft -&- 5 X 30Ft = 150Ft)

Sorta - Looka - Lika - Diz:
_____________________________x
|____________________________
_____________________________|
|____________________________
===MT________________________|
....G.........................

..
..
And I have more than a mile of small-guage wire on these two
spools. I was planning on wrapping it around a five-foot long
piece of 4 inch PVC and standing it behind a closet door.

=R= Better to wrap the wire Length-Wise 'inside & out'
(over and through) the PVC Pipe with about 1" spacing.
This would be about 120 Ft of wire in a vertical format.

..
..
Since my last last message I tried a very crude "hook-up" with
one of the spools of wire and got absolutely no improvement
in reception. Now I understand why, thanks to you good people.

Back to the 20-30' piece of random wi my only option is to
run it out the window and along the top rail of the fence in
the back yard. Would this really outdo a massive broomstick
antenna ?

=R= ? QUESTION ? "Top Rail" Is this a Metal Fence ?

..
..

Brenda Ann December 23rd 03 08:40 PM

"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

The rafters idea could still work with standoffs, though not as well as with
a wood surface. What material is your roof made from? How much of a crown
does it have? You could run wire along the crown of the roof with good
results. Use coax to get it into the house. Ground the coax outside the
house at the point it enters.

donutbandit December 23rd 03 10:04 PM

"Dave" wrote in
:

I just got through picking up a ton of discontinued wire from my local
Home Depot, and was planning on building a "broomstick" antenna like
some I found described on the net.

I built one. I was quite disappointed after reading all the hype.

I get better reception from a wire run around the corners of my
bedroom ceiling.

Dale Parfitt December 23rd 03 10:50 PM

"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
:

I just got through picking up a ton of discontinued wire from my local
Home Depot, and was planning on building a "broomstick" antenna like
some I found described on the net.

I built one. I was quite disappointed after reading all the hype.

I get better reception from a wire run around the corners of my
bedroom ceiling.

I woul not anticipate the broomstick antenna to be any different than a
metal tube or rod of similar dimensions.

Dale W4OP

funkbastler December 23rd 03 11:12 PM

On 23 Dec 2003 14:27:39 GMT, (Diverd4777) wrote:

Brenda et al:

This statement facinates me:

related by someone in Saudi Arabia
who
wrapped 1.2 kM of wire around a piece of PVC and vastly improved their
reception of WWV in the states.

1.2 kM of wire; Heck of a lot of capture area !

Very little capture area if it's all coiled up in a small space.

Is there some ratio of loop diameter and spacing between the wire loops that
results in the most capture area?

The bigger the diameter, the bigger the capture area.

There is a nice ratio of mirror diameter to magnification limits in telescopes
This is the analogy I was thinking of.

Yes, but what you'd be concerned with here is 'light gathering power'
(aka aperture), not magnification.

Dan

-fb-

Telamon December 24th 03 12:28 AM

In article ,
"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
:

I just got through picking up a ton of discontinued wire from my
local Home Depot, and was planning on building a "broomstick"
antenna like some I found described on the net.

I built one. I was quite disappointed after reading all the hype.

I get better reception from a wire run around the corners of my
bedroom ceiling.

I would not anticipate the broomstick antenna to be any different than
a metal tube or rod of similar dimensions.

Good comparison. A tightly wound broomstick would resemble a rod for
receiving purposes.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Dave December 25th 03 06:54 AM

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
In article , "Dave"

writes:

Or should I go all out with a ten-foot piece of 4 inch PVC (or
even multiples maybe) and put it in the attic?

If the attic is non-metal, I'd try this solution ..

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Christmas, and all.

The attic/roof is not-metal, but it is so short that you really can't move
around in it. I can stick something up there and more-or-less angle it this
way or that, but that's about it. I thought about putting something
directional up there, but upon further reflection I really don't see any way
to do that. And outside, I could run a wire along the top of the (metal)
fence, but that's about it. Thought about putting something under the
eaves, and haven't totally given up on that yet. If I did that, I could
make it +/- 30 feet long. Still thinking.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

Dave December 25th 03 07:09 AM

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

The roof is wood with asphalt shingles. But the attic is only about three
feet tall (see my reply to diverd4777). With extreme difficulty one can get
from one side of the house to the other through the attic, but trying to do
this while carrying something is next to impossible. Is that what you are
asking about, about the crown? Height, in the attic? If not please let me
know.

Dave

Dave December 25th 03 07:14 AM

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
= = = "Dave"
= = = wrote in message ...

Hmm. Okay. Only I don't have much outside space available.
I *might* be able to manage 20-30 feet of random wire, but
that is about it.

=R= Assuming that his is NOT a Metal Fence.

It is a metal fence. Chain-link. I didn't think that was a very likely
answer to my problems.

[...]

.
.
And I have more than a mile of small-guage wire on these two
spools. I was planning on wrapping it around a five-foot long
piece of 4 inch PVC and standing it behind a closet door.

=R= Better to wrap the wire Length-Wise 'inside & out'
(over and through) the PVC Pipe with about 1" spacing.
This would be about 120 Ft of wire in a vertical format.

.

I'm not sure how I could do that, at least with my 5-foot piece of PVC. Any
ideas?

.

Dave December 25th 03 07:18 AM

"Joe Strain" wrote in message
om...
The currrent in the wire produces an electromagnetic field which has a
defined radius.

The field coil of a motor is used to turn it into a magnet so the motor

will
work...stretch out the windings, no emf imposed upon the core..no
magnet-action-no work

Stretch it out, you exceed the radius of the electromagnetic field, no
interaction, no function.

The whole purpose of the antenna in coil-structure is to use the induced

emf
to create a load on the antenna so it "thinks" it is longer

Yodar

Read this a couple days ago, and am still trying to wrap my brain around it.
Will try to reply in more depth 12/25 or 12/26

Dave

Dave December 25th 03 07:50 AM

Thanks for the links. The website for the first four was where I got my
original information, but I couldn't remember where it was. I appreciate
it.

Thanks also for hte Yahoo link. I'm going to check that out.

Dave

Dave December 25th 03 07:52 AM

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
:

I just got through picking up a ton of discontinued wire from my
local Home Depot, and was planning on building a "broomstick"
antenna like some I found described on the net.

I built one. I was quite disappointed after reading all the hype.

I get better reception from a wire run around the corners of my
bedroom ceiling.

I would not anticipate the broomstick antenna to be any different than
a metal tube or rod of similar dimensions.

Good comparison. A tightly wound broomstick would resemble a rod for
receiving purposes.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Still true, even if each turn of wire is insulated from those adjacent to
it? How could that be?

Thanks,

Dave

Brenda Ann December 25th 03 07:56 AM

"Dave" wrote in message

The roof is wood with asphalt shingles. But the attic is only about three
feet tall (see my reply to diverd4777). With extreme difficulty one can

get
from one side of the house to the other through the attic, but trying to

do
this while carrying something is next to impossible. Is that what you are
asking about, about the crown? Height, in the attic? If not please let

me
know.

The crown of the roof is the pointed top (outside).

^ === crown
/ \
| |

AV December 25th 03 04:18 PM

Dave wrote:

It is a metal fence. Chain-link. I didn't think that was a very likely
answer to my problems.

I'd be curious as to why running a wire along a metal fence would be
such a problem. I just ran about 200 feet of wire along the top of a
wire fence (2 inch square openings), albeit the type that is covered
with some green vinyl. And I have noticed CONSIDERABLE improvement in
reception. Wouldn't attaching to so much metal just help to expand the
range of the antenna?

Also, related to the metal fence thing: what would happen were I to
attach a wire to my metal roof?

And as long as we're on the subject of random wire, what's the deal with
needing "stranded" wire. I had about 100 feet of that first, and then
when I went to buy some more all they had was single strand, so I bought
that and just added that to the end of the stranded. what's the
importance/need of using stranded?

av

Tony Meloche December 25th 03 05:28 PM

AV wrote:

Dave wrote:

[...]

As far as ability to pick up RF signal, I'm not aware that there *is*
a bit of difference. Stranded is a bit stronger, perhaps, but if anyone
ever told you you "had" to use stranded for antenna wire, I'd be
intersted in hearing their justification for that.

Tony

RHF December 26th 03 12:02 AM

TM,

Antennas - WHY - Stranded Wire is a 'little' Better.

1. More Flexible and Less Breakage.

2. If you use a Single Strand (1) type Wire.
When the One Strand Breaks the Wire Has Failed.

3. If you use a Multi-Stranded (19) type Wire.
When the One to Three Strands Breaks the Wire Has NOT Failed;
and you still have a Wire that would be rated at about 85%.
NOTE: Nineteen Stranded Wire has a Single Strand;
that is Surounded by Six Strands (Optimum Re-inforcement);
that is Surounded by Twelve Strands (Optimum Re-inforcement);
{Like A Bridge Support Cable}
Then Covered by Insulation.

4. IIRC: For the same AWG Size Wire the Stranded Wire is
Rated as Stronger and Lighter then the Single Strand Wire.

5. RF Wise - Multi-Strand Wire has more Surface Area for RF to
Travel On. So specialty Antenna Wires like
* "QuietFlex" (41 Strand @ #14 AWG)
* "Flex-Weave" (168 Strands @ #14 AWG)
Can Actually (In-Fact) make a' difference' in your Reception.

? NOW ? IS ? ANY ? OF ? THIS ? TRUE ?

AV December 26th 03 12:19 AM

RHF wrote:

? NOW ? IS ? ANY ? OF ? THIS ? TRUE ?

.

sounds pretty plausible to me, but then i'm the one who asked the
question, and i'm a fairly gullible person.

as for the strength question, multi-strand didn't withstand an avalanche
of snow coming off the roof and breaking it, nor did it withstand my
puppy biting it into a few pieces. i kinda doubt there is really too
much difference in strength. the fact that stranded allows for the
breakage of one strand while leaving the others intact, but just the
same, those single threads are thinner and more likely to break in the
first place!

as for surface area, that sounds plausible, but then that brings it back
to the metal fence question. if it's surface area you want, then why the
warning not to lay a random wire along a metal fence. wouldn't the fence
be helpful in reception and pass things along into the wire?

av

RHF December 26th 03 01:38 AM

DAVE,

Understanding the "BroomStick" Antenna and its Coil.
= WHY = Three Shorter Coils may Work Better then One Long Coil.

First: Lets take a Eight Foot (8Ft) piece of One Inch (1") Outside
Diameter (OD) PVC Pipe. (This is our BroomStick Antenna "FORM".)

Second: Take a Single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and stretch it out along the length of the PVC Pipe.
What Do We Have? A Vertical Antenna Element - That happens to
be 1/4 of a Wave Length (WL) in the range of 31 MHz.

Third: Take a Single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and stretch it out along the length of the PVC Pipe and form a
Coil of 11 Turns (about 1") at the Bottom. What Do We Have?
A "LOADED" Vertical Antenna Element - That happens to act like
1/4 of a Wave Length (WL) in the range of 10 MHz.

Fourth: Take a Single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and stretch it out along the length of the PVC Pipe and form a
Coil of 66 Turns (about 6") at the Bottom. What Do We Have?
A "LOADED" Vertical Antenna Element - That happens to act like
1/4 of a Wave Length (WL) in the range of 1 MHz.

Fifth: Take a Single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and stretch it out along the length of the PVC Pipe and form a
Coil of 460 Turns (about 2Ft) at the Bottom. What Do We Have?
A "LOADED" Vertical Antenna Element - That happens to act like
1/4 of a Wave Length (WL) for about 100 kHz.

CONCLUSION: The Conclusion That We Must Draw From The Above Is:
That the common BroomStick Antenna that has wire closely wound
on a piece of PVC Pipe to FORM a Coil of 3Ft, 5Ft, or all of
the 8Ft; must be resonant well below 100 kHz.

THEREFO Therefore for 31 MHz, 10 MHz, 1MHz and anything
in-between: The BroomStick Antenna simply looks effectively like
a 1/4 WL Antenna Element that works so-so in the range of 31 MHz.
= = = Effectively like a 1" Copper Pipe.

BETTER: The Better Alternative is to Start over by taking a
Eight Foot (8Ft) piece of One Inch (1") Outside Diameter (OD)
PVC Pipe. (This is our BroomStick Antenna "FORM".)
Next, take a single piece of #14 AWG Stranded Insulated Wire
and wrap three coils on the PVC Pipe.

* "Concerning the BroomStick Antenna" Read Message #410
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/410

* "Image of Tri-Band 'BroomStick' Antenna"
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/412

PHOTOS Section: Image "BroomStick Antenna Tri-Band"
GoTo= http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...FM-Antenna/lst

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Dave"
= = = wrote in message ...

RHF December 26th 03 02:12 AM

DAVE,

AHhhh, We Now Have More Information.

An ATTIC Location and a Target Broadcaster Frequency (VOK).

If your House/Building (The Attic) is positioned properly; and you
have a specific band of Frequencies that you want to Receive.
The you may wish to consider a simple Dipole Antenna for
Directivity and relative Gain for a designed Frequency.

"Using a 'SLINKY' as an Antenna ?" read Message #64
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...nna/message/64

* Single SLINKY Vertical "Mono-Pole"
( The INVISABLE BroomStick Antenna )

* Dual SLINKY Horizontal "Dipole"

Consider a commercial SLINKY Dipole Antenna in the Attic.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Dave"

- - - S N I P - - -

RHF December 26th 03 05:07 AM

AV & DAVE,

FIRST: These are NOT Transmitting Antennas so the Metal
Fence does NOT represent a 'potential' Hazard to your
Transmitter. (Possible Direct Short Circuit to Ground.)

"AV" - It's Not the Fence...
Its the 200 Feet of Wire that makes up your Antenna Element.

NOTE: With Metal Fences "Insulated" Wire seems to work better :o)

Two Points of View for 'shorter' (20Ft-50Ft) Insulated Wire
Antenna Elements that are mount "ON" or "THRU" Metal Fences:

* Some people may tell you to run/route the Insulated Wire
alone the "Top" of the Metal Fence.
The Reasoning Being: The Wire is Higher in the Air
and Off the Ground.
(The Metal Fence will have less effect on the RF Signals
being Received.)

* Other people may tell you to run/route the Insulated Wire
alone the "Middle" of the Metal Fence.
(Half-Way between the Top and Bottom of the Fence.)
The Reasoning Being: The Wire is in the Air and Off the Ground.
(The Wire is being 'coupled' to the Metal Fence and the "Whole"
Metal Fence has become the Antenna with a greater capture are
to Receive RF Signals.)

THIRD OPTION: "Above-the-Fence" Field SWL Antenna for a Field Radio.

Recently I had the need to build a 'temporary' Low Noise SWL
Antenna that was going to be 'mounted' ABOVE a Cyclone Fence.
NOTE: The Fence was down the Hill about 75 Feet from the Deck
of a Cabin. The Fence ran between a small Lake and a Cabin
overlooking the Lake.
* The Antenna Element was 100 Feet of Landscape Lighting Cable
(Heavy Duty Outdoors Zip Cord).
* The Fence was a Six Feet (6Ft) Tall Chain Line Fence.
* I walked-off the fence with a note book and pencil.
The Fence Sections (Poles) were 20 Ft apart.
* When down to the hardware store and bought Six 10 Ft
pieces of 1" PVC Pipe.
* Also bought some plastic Locking Wire Ties.
* Drilled a hole in one end of each of the PVC Pipes and
installed a Wire Tie with a 2"-3" Open Loop.
* Placed a piece of PVC Pipe next to each of the Metal
Fence Poles.
* * Attached a Guide Rope to the two end pieces of PVC Pipe.
* Ran/Routed the Antenna Element through the Open Wire Tie Loops.
* Affixed the two Feed-End wires of the Antenna Element
across a TV 300 Ohm Matching Transformer (MT) and connected
100Ft of 75 Ohm Coax Cable to the other end of the MT.
* * Attached a 12 Ft Ground Wire to the 75 Ohm Side of the MT.
* At the Far-End of the Antenna Element; stripped and twisted
together the two wires and covered them with electrical tape.
* Place the Far-End PVC Pipe in the Vertical Position and
used two Wire Ties to one at the Bottom of the fence and one
at the top of the fence to hold it in place. Plus used the
Guide Rope to Counter the Force of the Antenna Element.
* Next placed the four middle pieces of PVC Pipe in the
Vertical Position and used two Wire Ties to one at the Bottom
of the fence and one at the top of the fence to hold it in place.
* Then the Feed-End PVC Pipe in the Vertical Position and
used two Wire Ties to one at the Bottom of the fence and one
at the top of the fence to hold it in place. Plus used the
Guide Rope to Counter the Force of the Antenna Element.
* Attached the other end of the Ground Wire to the Metal
Fence Post with a Large Hose Clamp at ground level; at the
base of the Metal Fence Post and the in-the-ground Cement
Anchor (2Ft-3Ft).
* Ran/routed the Coax Cable from the the Antenna Element
to the Receivers location on a Deck. Used a second grounding
point directly under the deck at one of the Metal Pier Anchors.
* Terminate the Coax Cable with an "F" Connector to PL-259
Plug Adapter for connection to the Receivers LO-Z (50 Ohm)
SO-239 Jack. Or, use a second MT and Connect the 300 Ohm
Output Leads to the Receiver's HI-Z (500 Ohm) Terminals.

TBL: The Antenna Element is a "Flat-Thin-Loop" that is
Physically 100 Ft Long and Electrically 200 Ft Out-and-Back.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = AV

Telamon December 26th 03 07:43 PM

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

[...]

At RF frequencies the coils are shorted electrically because there is a
lot of capacitance between them. It won't work much better than a piece
of metal the same size. Coils can be useful as part of an antenna if the
turns are farther apart but as an element to pick up RF energy from the
air medium it will work poorly.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Dale Parfitt December 26th 03 10:44 PM

Still true, even if each turn of wire is insulated from those adjacent to
it? How could that be?

Thanks,

Dave

Telamon's explaination is spot on. The end of an antenna is high

impedance- coils at the far end do not behave as inductors, rather as
capacitors- thus the analogy to a solid tube. If the coil is placed, at a
current point of an antenna (eg. near the center of a half wave) then it
behaves as a pure inductor.

Dale W4OP

RHF December 27th 03 01:24 AM

TELAMON,

"Tri-Band BroomStick Antenna" Read Message #410
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/410

* Eight Foot piece of 1.25" ID (1.5" OD) PVC Pipe

* Seventy Feet (70 Ft) of #14 AWG Insulated Wire (19 Strands)

* Top Hat ("9-12" Pie Pan)

* Separator Stub 4"

* Top Coil: 32 Turns @ 1/8" Spacing

* Separator Stub 18"

* Middle Coil: 52 Turns @ 1/4" Spacing

* Separator Stub 11"

* Bottom Coil: 82 Turns @ 1/2" Spacing

* Separator Stub 6"

* Lead-In-Line Connection

"Image of Tri-Band 'BroomStick' Antenna"
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/412

PHOTOS Section: Image "BroomStick Antenna Tri-Band"
GoTo= http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...FM-Antenna/lst

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Telamon

- - - S N I P - - -

craigm December 27th 03 07:20 PM

"Telamon" wrote in message

At RF frequencies the coils are shorted electrically because there is a
lot of capacitance between them. It won't work much better than a piece
of metal the same size. Coils can be useful as part of an antenna if the
turns are farther apart but as an element to pick up RF energy from the
air medium it will work poorly.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I have a little trouble with this statement.

If there is so much capacitance between turns that you have an effective
short, then things like IF transformers and AM loopstick antennas can't
possibly work. A loading coil at the base of a whip antenna is no more
useful than a chunk of metal? It just doesn't make sense.

Coils are added to antennas to increase their effective length. If they just
acted like a solid piece of metal they couldn't do that.

craigm

Telamon December 27th 03 08:03 PM

In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

TELAMON,

"Tri-Band BroomStick Antenna" Read Message #410
GoTo=
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/410

snip

I don't Yahoo.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF December 28th 03 01:53 AM

CraigM,

1. If you look at many Transmitter Loading Coils.
They are often Bare Wire with Insulated "Spacers" that
provide an Air Gap. One of the "Features" of this 'design'
is to Allow for HEAT (Power) Dispensation.

2. Many Up-In-The-Air Antennas use "Loading Coils" that
are simply made of the same Insulated Wire or Bare Wire
used in the Antenna. Frequently there is a 'small' Air
Gap (about one to two wire diameters) in these Loading
Coils. Sometimes when Insulated Wire is used these
But remember, there is the Gap (Spacing) that is created
by the Covering Insulation on both sides of the inner wire.

"W" = Wire (Inner)
"i" = Insultation (Outer)

3. For Shortwave "SWL" Antennas that are Receive ONLY.
It is Simplier and Easier to use Insulated Wire and wrap
the Loading Coils using the Side-By-Side wire wrapping
method.

NOTE: An 'alternative method' is to use a "De-Wired
Insulated Wire" as a Spacer to create a Uniform Gap
between the Loading Coil's wire coils.

HOW TO: Estimate the length of the Wire required for
the Loading Coil; and "Cut" a second piece of Insulated
Wire to 'act' as a Spacer. Remove the 'inner wire'
from the Insulation and use the Hollow Insulation (Tube)
as a Spacer.

4. Cheap-and-Dirty "Loading Coil Form" = Simple and
Easy to Make. Basically use common PVC Pipe:

* 3/4" ID = 1" OD = Circumference 3.14"
+ Plus Factor in One #14 Insulated Wire Diameter (0.10")
= Length of One-Turn-of-the-Coil would be 3.46"

* 1.25" ID = 1.5" OD = Circumference 4.71" (Per Turn)
+ Plus Factor in One #14 Insualated Wire Diameter (0.10")
= Length of One-Turn-of-the-Coil would be 5.02"

HOW TO: Estimate the Lenght of your Loading Coil Winding Area.
Add Two Inches (3/4" PVC Pipe) or Three Inches (1.25" PVC Pipe)
to this for both PVC "End Caps" that will be used in the Form.
* Cut the PVC Pipe to Length.
* Glue on the End-Caps.
* Drill a 1/4" Hole in the Ends of each of the End-Caps.
[The End-Cap-Hole]
* Drill a 1/4" Hole at the PVC Pipe right next to the Edge
of each of the End-Caps. (Directly opposite each other.)
[The Side-Hole]

Use Black 1/4" Drip Irrigation Tubing (DIT) as a Strain
Relief for the Antenna Wire / Loading Coil Wire.
* Cut the DIT in to 4" pieces:
* Use two pieces of DIT per Loading Coil.

HOW TO: Building the Antenna "Loading Coil".
* Feed the Antenna Wire through one piece of DIT.
* Feed the Antenna Wire & DIT through the End-Cap-Hole
and around to the Side-Hole.
(About 2" out the End and 1/4" out the Side.)
* Jam about 1" of the Hollow Insulation (Tube) that is
being used as a Spacer into the Side-Hole.
* Wrap the Loading Coil using the Antenna Wire and the
Spacer as a Wire Pair.
* Use Electrical Tape to 'temporarily' hold the Antenna
Wire and Spacer in place on the PVC Pipe.
* Feed the Antenna Wire through the other piece of DIT.
* Feed the Antenna Wire & DIT through the other Side-Hole
and around to the End-Cap-Hole.
(About 2" out the End and 1/4" out the Side.)
* Trim the Hollow Insulation (Tube) Spacer Free-End
down to 1" and JAM that End into the other Side-Hole.
* Use RTV Silicone to Seal the Side-Holes and End-Cap-Holes.
NOTE: The "Remaining" Antenna Wire is routed to the Antenna's
Far End (Terminating Insulator) -or- the next Loading Coil.

OBTW: A copy of this Message has been posted to the YAHOO eGroup
"SWL Antennas and AM & FM Antennas" - Read Message #421:
* HOW-TO-BUILD: SWL Antenna Loading Coils - One Method
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/421

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "craigm"

Telamon December 30th 03 11:46 PM

In article ,
(RHF) wrote:

CraigM,

1. If you look at many Transmitter Loading Coils. They are often
Bare Wire with Insulated "Spacers" that provide an Air Gap. One of
the "Features" of this 'design' is to Allow for HEAT (Power)
Dispensation.

The space between the wires does help heat dissipation but the reason
for it is to reduce parasitic capacitance. The wire size has more to do
with how much power will go through it.

2. Many Up-In-The-Air Antennas use "Loading Coils" that are simply
made of the same Insulated Wire or Bare Wire used in the Antenna.
Frequently there is a 'small' Air Gap (about one to two wire
diameters) in these Loading Coils. Sometimes when Insulated Wire is
used these Loading Coils are simply wound with NO Air Gap. But
remember, there is the Gap (Spacing) that is created by the Covering
Insulation on both sides of the inner wire.

(Inner) "i" = Insultation (Outer)

Any type of electrical component exhibits all the other electrical
properties. Inductors and transformers have some self-capacitance and
resistance. Capacitors have some inductance and resistance. Inductors
of any type have a tendency to have longer electrical paths than
comparable capacitors or resistors so parasitics are more of a problem.
Most of the time care must be taken to have self-resonant behavior
occur above the frequency of operation.

Keep in mind the need to have windings apart from each other in order
to reduce the parasitic capacitance between them. Air has a constant of
one and any other solid plastic insulation will have a higher constant
so placing insulated wire in contact will still create significant
capacitance. Air is the best insulator to use.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California