RadioBanter

-   -   Need Freqs for Realistic DX-302 please! (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39835-need-freqs-realistic-dx-302-please.html)

ROBMURR December 30th 03 01:07 PM

Need Freqs for Realistic DX-302 please!

Have been away from shortwave for years and just picked up
a very nice old Realistic DX-302 yesterday that seems to work perfectly.
I have been listening to hams on 80 and 40 meters from as
far away as Canada, Florida, Idaho etc from my Atlanta home with
just an 8 ft of wire streched out horizontally.
I need the freqs of the major SW broadcasters like BBC, etc I could
listen too. Got a ton of foreign language stuff this morning but not
sure what it was.
Any tips on a longwire length would be good too. I can put up an attic
antenna going east/west.
Any tips on the DX-302 appreciated also! Will grounding the radio help much?
Thanks!

Jenni_is_a_Whore December 30th 03 04:38 PM

When I bought my first shortwave radio (a Sangean ATS-909) I also bought the
"Passport to World Band Radio". It was a great help to me in getting
started in the hobby and finding broadcast stations.

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

After I became more faimilar with SW, I bought Harry Helms' "Shortwave
Listening Guidebook". It's somewhat technical but very comprehensive. It
really helped me get to the next level of the hobby. It also helped me
understand a lot of the stuff that gets discussed here. :)

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

You migt want to check out the books section at Universal Radio.

Link: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/book1.html

73's
JIAW

Radioman390 December 30th 03 07:50 PM

I need the freqs of the major SW broadcasters like BBC, etc I could
listen to

One of the bigger SWoperations (lots of frequencies) is
Station WWV out of suburban Denver which provides 24 hours a day of quality
programming, and most importantly in these of biased propaganda, absolutly
reliable and accurate information.

You can listen to them on the web at:

http://www.mindspring.com/~cc25/wwv.html

simply follow the link where indicated

Jim December 30th 03 08:26 PM

radioman is absolutely right! wwv broadcasts up to the minute
information 24 hours a day! in english! with a strong signal, great
frequency stability and perfectly modulated audio, who could ask for
more from a domestic station? (ahhhh hahaha!!! radioman you are such a
joker! i thought i would **** myself laughing! what great advise!)

John Norfolk December 30th 03 10:26 PM

(ROBMURR) wrote in message ...
Have been away from shortwave for years and just picked up
a very nice old Realistic DX-302 yesterday that seems to work perfectly.
I have been listening to hams on 80 and 40 meters from as
far away as Canada, Florida, Idaho etc from my Atlanta home with
just an 8 ft of wire streched out horizontally.
I need the freqs of the major SW broadcasters like BBC, etc I could
listen too. Got a ton of foreign language stuff this morning but not
sure what it was.
Any tips on a longwire length would be good too. I can put up an attic
antenna going east/west.
Any tips on the DX-302 appreciated also! Will grounding the radio help much?
Thanks!

For English language shortwave broadcasts:

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com

You can choose between lists by time or country.

For amateur radio voice nets:

http://www.worldofradio.com/nets2you.html

I once owned a DX-302 in the early 1980s. If I remember correctly,
when tuning SSB signals the frequency readout would be off by 2 1/2
kHz.

For a list of English language DX programs:

http://www.worldofradio.com/dxpgms.html

Beloved Leader December 31st 03 03:10 AM

(Radioman390) wrote in message ...

One of the bigger SWoperations (lots of frequencies) is
Station WWV out of suburban Denver....

I don't care for their attitude, sort of a "we're right, so you'll
just have to adjust" way of addressing the listener. You'll never hear
calls from dissenting listeners.

WShoots1 December 31st 03 03:54 AM

WWV must have a lousy transmitter, though. It's rich in harmonics.

Bill, K5BY