RadioBanter

-   -   CW Morse Code F ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39947-cw-morse-code-f.html)

Henry Kolesnik January 4th 04 09:59 PM

CW Morse Code F ?

Anyone got any good frequencies aside from the ham bands that send good CW?
I'm tyring to get my code speed up after years dormancy.
tnx
han wd5jfr

Stephen M.H. Lawrence January 4th 04 10:11 PM

Henry, I'd recommend the G4FON program. It's even better!

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
| Anyone got any good frequencies aside from the ham bands that send good
CW?
| I'm tyring to get my code speed up after years dormancy.
| tnx
| han wd5jfr

---

Henry Kolesnik January 4th 04 10:35 PM

I have it, and it's neat and unique but I want to copy real information.
73
hank wd5jfr
"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message
nk.net...
Henry, I'd recommend the G4FON program. It's even better!

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
| Anyone got any good frequencies aside from the ham bands that send good
CW?
| I'm tyring to get my code speed up after years dormancy.
| tnx
| han wd5jfr

---

Jackie January 4th 04 10:48 PM

How about W1AW code practice bulletins from the ARRL? See freqs and times at
the ARRL website:

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw.html#w1awsked

Jackie

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
I have it, and it's neat and unique but I want to copy real information.
73
hank wd5jfr
"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message
nk.net...
Henry, I'd recommend the G4FON program. It's even better!

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
| Anyone got any good frequencies aside from the ham bands that send

good
CW?
| I'm tyring to get my code speed up after years dormancy.
| tnx
| han wd5jfr

---

J999w January 4th 04 10:59 PM

The best practice is to get on and work someone. Even if it's a buddy down the
street.

Good Luck!

jw
wb9uai

Freddie January 4th 04 10:59 PM

Henry,

Simple enough...go to your favorite news source on the web and cut and paste
an article into the Koch trainer.

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
I have it, and it's neat and unique but I want to copy real information.
73
hank wd5jfr
"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message
nk.net...
Henry, I'd recommend the G4FON program. It's even better!

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
| Anyone got any good frequencies aside from the ham bands that send

good
CW?
| I'm tyring to get my code speed up after years dormancy.
| tnx
| han wd5jfr

---

Mark Keith January 5th 04 03:51 AM

(J999w) wrote in message ...
The best practice is to get on and work someone. Even if it's a buddy down the
street.

Good Luck!

jw
wb9uai

I agree. I think his speed would pick up faster. Gets double duty
practice having to send also. Also brushes up the fist.. But if only
listening, W1AW is good. Perfect code...But anyone on the band that he
can copy will do. It's kind of a shame most don't really use the
novice bands much anymore. Makes it harder to find slower code. But
some still get on there. MK

WShoots1 January 5th 04 05:46 AM

Speaking of CW... I read recently that the ITU is coming up with a unique code
for the @ sign. I believe it's .--.-. (didadadidadit, i.e., A and C sent as
one).

73,
Bill, K5BY

gil January 5th 04 10:58 AM

Just take a listen on any of the ham bands in the CW portion.
--
Please remove NOSPAM to reply

RHF January 5th 04 02:06 PM

Bill [K5BY],

1. I would have logically thought that the "@" Sign would have
been represented as "A" (.-) and "T" (-) for [AT] (.--) Prosign.

but, But. BUT ! (.--) is already used for "W".

Oh... NEVER MIND !

TBL: So the Prosign "AC" (.--.-.) will be the "@" Sign in CW.

2. I would think that the "DOT" (Period) would simply be the
* CW "Period" (.-.-.-) {6}
* Vice Spelling Out "DOT" in CW as (-.. --- -) {9}

3. Question: How is the [World Wide Web] Anagram "WWW" sent ?
? Simply as "W W W" (.-- .-- .--) the three separate Letters.
? Or simply as "www" (.--.--.--) a compress 'www' Prosign.

ow... ~ RHF
= = = One Wonders... and Begins to Think !
..
..
= = = (WShoots1)

Bill Hennessy January 5th 04 09:44 PM

Their are several CW tutorial programs that you can download for free. Plus
the ARRL transmissions.

Bill, N5NOB

WShoots1 January 6th 04 05:19 AM

Good questions, RHF, but I think you answered them all. G

The thing about the @ sign, there was no option for that special character. And
it does look kind of like an A inside a C.

I do think WWW should have a more convenient form. I suppose when it was sent
in a certain context, a single W would be understood. Maybe a W3... Unless
one's call sign begins with that. G

Bill, K5BY

Mark Keith January 6th 04 08:52 AM

(RHF) wrote in message

2. I would think that the "DOT" (Period) would simply be the
* CW "Period" (.-.-.-) {6}
* Vice Spelling Out "DOT" in CW as (-.. --- -) {9}

I would use .-.-.- if it were me doing it... Same as it's written.

3. Question: How is the [World Wide Web] Anagram "WWW" sent ?
? Simply as "W W W" (.-- .-- .--) the three separate Letters.
? Or simply as "www" (.--.--.--) a compress 'www' Prosign.

..-- .-- .-- Shouldn't ever run together normal letters...

MK

RHF January 6th 04 03:56 PM

MK,

But... [IF] "W W W" (.-- .-- .--) were transformer by the ITU into a
PROSIGN for the "World Wide Web" then it would be "www" (.--.--.--) .

That is the nature of Prosigns ( I Think ? )

Bill [K5BY],

I did not visualize the "a" within a "C" for the [ @ ].

But now that it has been pointed out the Prosign "AC" (.--.-.)

Does make a lot of sense now - So (.--.-.) for [ @ ] it is.

..

~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Mark Keith)

Frank Dresser January 6th 04 09:18 PM

"WShoots1" wrote in message

[snip]

I do think WWW should have a more convenient form. I suppose when it

was sent
in a certain context, a single W would be understood. Maybe a W3...

Unless
one's call sign begins with that. G

Bill, K5BY

How about 3W, then? There won't be any conflict with 3WE, now that
they're WTAM again.

Frank Dresser

Dave Moorman January 7th 04 01:58 AM

In article ,
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote:

Anyone got any good frequencies aside from the ham bands that send good CW?
I'm tyring to get my code speed up after years dormancy.
tnx
han wd5jfr

20 years ago, sonny, ya could've listened to any number of maritime CW
stations from all corners of the globe. Not today, unfortunately.

Dave

Greg and Joan January 7th 04 03:06 AM

If you want to get your code speed up, you're probably best listening in
the ham bands.

Hams don't send perfect code, especially with straight keys (hell, we're
human like anyone else) -- and band conditions aren't necessarily optimum on
there -- QRM, QRS, etc. so if you can pull some signals out of the hash on
there and copy them, you will develop code speed better and faster than if
you listened to W1AW or some mechanical code sending system.

Steve Silverwood February 1st 04 08:13 PM

In article ,
says...
I have it, and it's neat and unique but I want to copy real information.

Check the ARRL website for their net schedules. There should be several
slow-speed traffic nets listed for HF. Monitor some of those and you
will have plenty of "real" practice.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS