RadioBanter

-   -   Very good MWDX tonight (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39986-very-good-mwdx-tonight.html)

Tony Meloche January 7th 04 03:39 AM

Very good MWDX tonight

60 and 49 meter band were crapola tonight, so I did some MWDX.
Excellent conditions - pulling in loud and clear stations from Mexico,
Cuba and Belize.

Tony

David Eduardo January 7th 04 03:51 AM

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message
60 and 49 meter band were crapola tonight, so I did some MWDX.
Excellent conditions - pulling in loud and clear stations from Mexico,
Cuba and Belize.

I thought medium wave in Belice shut down years and years ago.

Tony Meloche January 7th 04 04:47 AM

David Eduardo wrote:

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message
60 and 49 meter band were crapola tonight, so I did some MWDX.
Excellent conditions - pulling in loud and clear stations from Mexico,
Cuba and Belize.

I thought medium wave in Belice shut down years and years ago.

The station has no call, oddly, but it's 50,000W unlimited day and
night, as of the 1/1/04 WHAM logs. No other all-Spanish station with
music and programming indigenous to the Lastin world (in other words, it
was not a Spanish broadcasting USA station) anywhwere near that close
with that kind of transmitter. References I could pick up in Spanish
also indicated Belize City. It was as clear as suburban AM for quite a
while on 830 AM, though hampered by WCCO in Minneapolis.

Tony

Doug Smith W9WI January 7th 04 05:43 AM

Tony Meloche wrote:
The station has no call, oddly, but it's 50,000W unlimited day and
night, as of the 1/1/04 WHAM logs. No other all-Spanish station with
music and programming indigenous to the Lastin world (in other words, it
was not a Spanish broadcasting USA station) anywhwere near that close
with that kind of transmitter. References I could pick up in Spanish
also indicated Belize City. It was as clear as suburban AM for quite a
while on 830 AM, though hampered by WCCO in Minneapolis.

How sure are you it wasn't WFNO in suburban New Orleans? That station
has been *widely* reported lately. A growing number of U.S.
Spanish-language stations are catering to ethnicities other than
Mexican. (David can better address that aspect!) One station is being
widely reported out of Houston with Colombian "cumbia" music, for example.

Is the Wham log based on the US FCC database? That database is VERY
inaccurate for foreign stations. Chances are, Belize is still notifying
the 830 facility to the ITU even though the station no longer exists.
Canada is doing that with a number of their extinct MW stations.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

CrewL January 7th 04 06:05 AM

Hi...

The spoken language in Belize is English and pidgin dialects thereof, not
Spanish. I know, an anomaly for that part of the world! But Spanish IS
spoken also.

I too thought that AM was gone now in Belize. Apart from the VOA relay
there, on 1530, which don't know if that counts!

M.

Tony Meloche January 7th 04 02:59 PM

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Tony Meloche wrote:
The station has no call, oddly, but it's 50,000W unlimited day and
night, as of the 1/1/04 WHAM logs. No other all-Spanish station with
music and programming indigenous to the Lastin world (in other words, it
was not a Spanish broadcasting USA station) anywhwere near that close
with that kind of transmitter. References I could pick up in Spanish
also indicated Belize City. It was as clear as suburban AM for quite a
while on 830 AM, though hampered by WCCO in Minneapolis.

How sure are you it wasn't WFNO in suburban New Orleans? That station
has been *widely* reported lately. A growing number of U.S.
Spanish-language stations are catering to ethnicities other than
Mexican. (David can better address that aspect!) One station is being
widely reported out of Houston with Colombian "cumbia" music, for example.

Yes, I logged the Houston station last night, too - but they
identified in a way - though Spanish - that made it unmistakeable: The
station call letters spoken clearly, followed by the word "Hoo-ston" :)

I'm willing to accept that 830 wasn't Belize, and that station may
not even exist anymore. But I listened for 90 minutes, and with the
exception of a rolling-voiced announcer making comments about the
"fantastic" station, there was no ID during that time - which is exactly
what I typically hear on Latin, South American and Carribean stations.
Nothing else in the frequency listing has an output power anywhere near
50,000W, and I doubted that I would be getting reception that strong and
clear from a 10 or 25kw station in Brazil or Venezuela (though I know
what unusually good prop can do on occasion).

Bottom line: It seems unlikely it was Belize. But programming, format
and style
matched any of the Latin/Central/South American stations I have heard,
and was nothing like any USA AM station. Interesting. Input from those
who responded to this post was appreciated!

Tony

David Eduardo January 7th 04 03:20 PM

David Eduardo wrote:

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message
60 and 49 meter band were crapola tonight, so I did some MWDX.
Excellent conditions - pulling in loud and clear stations from Mexico,
Cuba and Belize.

I thought medium wave in Belice shut down years and years ago.

The station has no call, oddly, but it's 50,000W unlimited day and
night, as of the 1/1/04 WHAM logs. No other all-Spanish station with
music and programming indigenous to the Lastin world (in other words, it
was not a Spanish broadcasting USA station) anywhwere near that close
with that kind of transmitter. References I could pick up in Spanish
also indicated Belize City. It was as clear as suburban AM for quite a
while on 830 AM, though hampered by WCCO in Minneapolis.

Belize, the former British Hondras, is predominantly English speaking.

US Spanish stations, musically, often sound _identical_ to Latin American
stations.

David Eduardo January 7th 04 03:24 PM

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

How sure are you it wasn't WFNO in suburban New Orleans? That station
has been *widely* reported lately. A growing number of U.S.
Spanish-language stations are catering to ethnicities other than
Mexican. (David can better address that aspect!) One station is being
widely reported out of Houston with Colombian "cumbia" music, for

example.

I'm willing to accept that 830 wasn't Belize, and that station may
not even exist anymore. But I listened for 90 minutes, and with the
exception of a rolling-voiced announcer making comments about the
"fantastic" station, there was no ID during that time - which is exactly
what I typically hear on Latin, South American and Carribean stations.

IDs on US Spanish statins can now be in Spanish,a nd are oftendone so fast
as to not be noticable, generally burried in a commercial set.

What you describe is is exactly the format of KFNO.

Nothing else in the frequency listing has an output power anywhere near
50,000W, and I doubted that I would be getting reception that strong and
clear from a 10 or 25kw station in Brazil or Venezuela (though I know
what unusually good prop can do on occasion).

They do not speak Spanish in Brazil, either. Again, Belize is officially
English speaking.

Tony Meloche January 7th 04 03:24 PM

David Eduardo wrote:

[...]

True - but US based station invariably identify by call *at least*
once an hour, and usually more frequently than that - this station
(which I now believe wasn't Belize), did not, over a period of almost 90
minutes.

Tony

Tony Meloche January 7th 04 03:29 PM

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

I'm willing to accept that 830 wasn't Belize, and that station may
not even exist anymore. But I listened for 90 minutes, and with the
exception of a rolling-voiced announcer making comments about the
"fantastic" station, there was no ID during that time - which is exactly
what I typically hear on Latin, South American and Carribean stations.

IDs on US Spanish statins can now be in Spanish,a nd are oftendone so fast
as to not be noticable, generally burried in a commercial set.

That's true enough - they may have ID'd and I didn't catch it.

Nothing else in the frequency listing has an output power anywhere near
50,000W, and I doubted that I would be getting reception that strong and
clear from a 10 or 25kw station in Brazil or Venezuela (though I know
what unusually good prop can do on occasion).

They do not speak Spanish in Brazil, either. Again, Belize is officially
English speaking.

I know they speak Portuguese in Brazil, and I can tell Portuguese
from Spanish - Brazil was a bad example, of course. And I do believe
now that it certainly wasn't Belize, at any rate.

Tony