Can someone enlighten me ?

rj

Brenda Ann January 9th 04 03:17 AM

"RJ" wrote in message
I live in NE Penna, and one of my favorite
nighttime MWDX's was WCCO in Minneapolis. ( 830 )

Recently, the signal is completely blocked
by a signal from Reading Pa. also broadcasting on 830.

I thought that WCCO was a "clear channel" station.

Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of "clear channel"
I thought they were all hi-powered stations,
and if they did share a frequency, it was because
they were a couple thousand miles apart.

Can someone enlighten me ?

There are no more "clear channel" stations, haven't been for some time. The
FCC has been issuing licenses for low power and/or directional facilities on
the former clear channel frequencies.

David Eduardo January 9th 04 04:26 AM

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"RJ" wrote in message
I live in NE Penna, and one of my favorite
nighttime MWDX's was WCCO in Minneapolis. ( 830 )

Recently, the signal is completely blocked
by a signal from Reading Pa. also broadcasting on 830.

I thought that WCCO was a "clear channel" station.

Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of "clear channel"
I thought they were all hi-powered stations,
and if they did share a frequency, it was because
they were a couple thousand miles apart.

Can someone enlighten me ?

There are no more "clear channel" stations, haven't been for some time.

The
FCC has been issuing licenses for low power and/or directional facilities

on
the former clear channel frequencies.

Still, the dominant stations on the clear channels are called clear channel
stations as their signals are protected day and night against interference.
All other stations on the channels are far away, and if night operations,
they protect the cominant station. All the former 1-A and 1-B clears operate
with 50 kw at night except for 1560 in Bakersfield and 1190 in Guadalajara,
both of which have 10 kw at night.

The real change is that the need for the kkind of national coverage the 1-A
clears touted in the late 40's is no longer there. Very few people listen to
station from outside thier market any more, and they are nt well disposed to
putting up with fading, interference, static and all the other pleasures of
AM distant reception.

At one time, there were hundreds of thousands of AM DXers in the US...
newspapers had DX columns...and a wide variety of high quality receivers was
on the market. Today, maybe there are a thousand AM DXers and the intereest
in distant reception is for all practical purposes dead.

Keyboard In The Wilderness January 9th 04 03:37 PM

All about "Clear Channel AM Stations past and present " and the current BIG
USA AM RADIO STATIONS -- THE 50 KW NIGHT FOLKS AT URL:
http://ac6v.com/clearam.htm

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Brian Running January 9th 04 07:59 PM

I live in NE Penna, and one of my favorite
nighttime MWDX's was WCCO in Minneapolis. ( 830 )

Recently, the signal is completely blocked
by a signal from Reading Pa. also broadcasting on 830.

I thought that WCCO was a "clear channel" station.

I can't hear WCCO as well as I used to, either, and I'm only about 300 miles
away in Milwaukee. It is often blocked by a Spanish-speaking station.

David Eduardo January 9th 04 08:14 PM

"Brian Running" wrote in message
gy.com...
I live in NE Penna, and one of my favorite
nighttime MWDX's was WCCO in Minneapolis. ( 830 )

Recently, the signal is completely blocked
by a signal from Reading Pa. also broadcasting on 830.

I thought that WCCO was a "clear channel" station.

I can't hear WCCO as well as I used to, either, and I'm only about 300

miles
away in Milwaukee. It is often blocked by a Spanish-speaking station.

WFNO in New Orleans who seems to be having trouble remembering to drop power
at night as licensed. Write to WCCO and tell them.

tommyknocker January 10th 04 12:37 AM

David Eduardo wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"RJ" wrote in message
[...]

That's because radio is so common now. In the 1920s, when radio was just
being born as a commercial medium, most people lived in small towns
which were very unlikely to have their own broadcast stations. The
nearest station was likely to be in the nearest "city" (more like a
medium sized town by today's standards) which could be a couple hundred
miles away. The broadcast band was wide open for what stations did
exist. "Clear channels" were exactly as the name implies-stations that
had to be in the clear to serve dozens of little farm towns within a
radius of several hundred miles. in the 1940s this situation still
applied. But as people moved off the farm and into the city after WW2,
the need for clear channel stations disappeared. Stations which once
broadcast news and entertainment to farms refocused on their local
markets. And then came TV in the 50s which took away AM's traditional
news and entertainment schedule, and then FM in the late 60s which took
away the music market, and you have today's AM band-right wing talk,
sports, and ethnic programs. The same thing is happening to SW in
Latinoamerica and Africa-FM is taking over SW's traditional functions as
people are being forced out of the jungles and deserts and into the
cities.

David Eduardo January 10th 04 02:43 AM

"tommyknocker" wrote in message

That's because radio is so common now. In the 1920s, when radio was just
being born as a commercial medium, most people lived in small towns
which were very unlikely to have their own broadcast stations.

True. There were less than 1000 US stations in 1940; there are now 13,500

The
nearest station was likely to be in the nearest "city" (more like a
medium sized town by today's standards) which could be a couple hundred
miles away. The broadcast band was wide open for what stations did
exist. "Clear channels" were exactly as the name implies-stations that
had to be in the clear to serve dozens of little farm towns within a
radius of several hundred miles. in the 1940s this situation still
applied.

Although there were well over 2,000 AMs and 700 FMs by 1950. The reign of
the clears ended with the lifting of the TV freeze in the early 50's.

But as people moved off the farm and into the city after WW2,
the need for clear channel stations disappeared. Stations which once
broadcast news and entertainment to farms refocused on their local
markets. And then came TV in the 50s which took away AM's traditional
news and entertainment schedule, and then FM in the late 60s which took
away the music market, and you have today's AM band-right wing talk,
sports, and ethnic programs.

Actually, after information, country music is the #2 format on AM, not
sports or ethnic.

The same thing is happening to SW in
Latinoamerica and Africa-FM is taking over SW's traditional functions as
people are being forced out of the jungles and deserts and into the
cities.

In most of Latin America, local or national SW died in the 60's and early
70's as local AMs moved into the smaller markets and SW enabled radios
became harder to find and more expensive. And the larger stations increased
power: in 1960, no Ecuadorian commercial AM had over 5 kw. By 1970, several
dozen did.

FM in Latin America, through the 90's, was mostly upper-income appeal and
metropolitan. For example, in 1985, Lima had 22 FMs of which 17 plaed
English langauge music. In the 90's, satellite networking of unmanned FM
relays on mountains and hills made FM nets viable.

Africa is a different story, as radio was severely controlled by
"governments" in most nations, and still is to some extent today.

Brian Running January 10th 04 02:47 AM

in the 1940s this situation still
applied. But as people moved off the farm and into the city after WW2,
the need for clear channel stations disappeared. Stations which once
broadcast news and entertainment to farms refocused on their local
markets. And then came TV in the 50s which took away AM's traditional
news and entertainment schedule, and then FM in the late 60s which took
away the music market,

I agree with your analysis in general, Tommy, but your timeline is a little
off. If it weren't for clear-channel AM stations in the late '60s and early
'70s, I never would have heard any rock or pop music. WLS, KAAY, CKLW,
WCFL, WIND... dose were da days.

Doug Smith W9WI January 10th 04 05:39 AM

Brian Running wrote:
I live in NE Penna, and one of my favorite
nighttime MWDX's was WCCO in Minneapolis. ( 830 )

Recently, the signal is completely blocked
by a signal from Reading Pa. also broadcasting on 830.

I thought that WCCO was a "clear channel" station.

I can't hear WCCO as well as I used to, either, and I'm only about 300 miles
away in Milwaukee. It is often blocked by a Spanish-speaking station.

The Spanish-language station is widely believed to be WFNO near New
Orleans.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66