RadioBanter

-   -   Radio Shack DX-394: How good (or bad)? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/40584-re-radio-shack-dx-394-how-good-bad.html)

N8KDV February 11th 04 01:40 AM

Radio Shack DX-394: How good (or bad)?

Leonard Martin wrote:

Does anybody want to state an opinion on this receiver?

Probably a good receiver for someone entering the hobby.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Tom Holden February 11th 04 02:38 AM

Leonard Martin wrote:
Does anybody want to state an opinion on this receiver?

Leonard

You'll find out more than you will ever know about any other radio by
joining http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RADIOSHACKDX394/. Read the FAQ. Check
out the links to various reviews and documentation. I'm not biased ;-o - I
have 3 of them in various states of modification - getting one a couple of
years ago renewed my interest in ham radio, electronics, SW listening.

Tom

Diverd4777 February 11th 04 02:45 AM

Leonard

Look here...

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/dx394.html

~Dan ~

Dxluver February 11th 04 04:28 AM

Does anybody want to state an opinion on this receiver?

Good piece. Great receiver if you get it modded out and hooked to a properly
installed antenna. Tom Holden or Mike can help you there if I'm right.

I enjoy mine, would enjoymy other one more if I had the battery back installed
and painted black and had the mods done. Don't think you can't DX with it,
because you can.

Mike Maghakian February 11th 04 04:30 AM

if you get it, it MUST be properly modified to be a good receiver. the
bad reviews are for the unmodified 394 and they are valid. HOWEVER a
PROPERLY modified DX-394 is far superior to the stock version. the
properly modified 394 is a fun and usable radio.

also don't pay too much. a modified 394 is only worth about $200. for
the $250 that many people pay you can almost get a Satellit 800, the
best radio for the money on the market.

recently I have compared the 800 to a Kenwood R-5000, no contest, the
800 is far better. and yes, the 5000 has the upgraded AM filter

AbbN February 11th 04 02:03 PM

Hi,

I had one and loved it but it was a DX-394B model. Here's a review on it:
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/dx394.html

I eventually put external speakers on it which made a lot of difference. It
was my 1st "serious" SW receiver. My best friend now has it and he loves it.
Since then I've acquired a DX-398, Grundig 400PE and last but not least, a
Sat-800.

You'll hear people in this group cut it up but to each his/her own..

Enjoy

Abb N
VE3003SWL
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

t...

--
"Everything that rises must converge"
--Flannery O'Connor

RHF February 11th 04 02:26 PM

MM,

"recently I have compared the 800 to a Kenwood R-5000,
no contest, the 800 is far better.
and yes, the 5000 has the upgraded AM filter"

MM - I would like to hear more about this comparison of the
Grundig Satellit 800-M and the Kenwood R-5000.

Please Tell Me More ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Mike Maghakian

N8KDV February 11th 04 02:37 PM

RHF wrote:

MM,

"recently I have compared the 800 to a Kenwood R-5000,
no contest, the 800 is far better.
and yes, the 5000 has the upgraded AM filter"

MM - I would like to hear more about this comparison of the
Grundig Satellit 800-M and the Kenwood R-5000.

Please Tell Me More ~ RHF

A Satellite 800 better than a Kenwood R-5000?

Hard to believe!

.
.
= = = Mike Maghakian

Tom Sevart February 11th 04 06:15 PM

"Leonard Martin" wrote in message
t...

Does anybody want to state an opinion on this receiver?

Probably a good starter receiver, but only good for listening to AM
broadcast. Not so good for utes.

Personally I'd suggest getting something else, but the DX-394 does have a
following.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Tom Holden February 12th 04 02:43 AM

Tom Sevart wrote:
Probably a good starter receiver, but only good for
listening to AM broadcast. Not so good for utes.

Better than that by a long way. Does a fairly good job on SSB, CW and
digital modes when properly aligned. Note I said "fairly good", not "superb"
and not "poor". It is very stable - an important criterion for these modes.
However, it is not very selective at IF so has difficulty with close-in
interference. Are there any radios in its price range with much better SSB
selectivity?

Personally I'd suggest getting something else, but the
DX-394 does have a following.

It does because of price, the relatively large number sold, performance,
potential for improvement, the rewards of doing so, the fun factor, and
learning.

Tom