Old March 10th 04, 03:54 PM
S R

Default Trans-Oceanic Radios

I did a search and I saw great pictures of some of these radios. They are
just incredible. I notice that they often came with a panel on the back
side that came up. I wonder what that was for?

Not too long ago I was at J&R's (electronic store), and I did see replicas
of vintage radios. And I did see a Trans-Oceanic style radio. It looked
like the radio that was use in the Spirit of St. Luis. But this one did not
have SW, (dam)! I forgot the name of the brand!

And I think that The Shaper Image makes one too.

73!

Old March 10th 04, 04:15 PM
ROBMURR

I did a search and I saw great pictures of some of these radios. They are
just incredible. I notice that they often came with a panel on the back
side that came up. I wonder what that was for?

If you are talking about the tube type from the 1950s that panel
lifted up from the front and was a cover for the radio dial to protect
it as well as a holder for the wavemagnet antenna...
I have an H500 from 1952? or so that I should restore one day....
If your talking about the later solid state ones, I have no clue.
Old March 10th 04, 07:41 PM
Maximus

Some shortwave radios had a list of sw broadcast stations and frequencies -
maybe that's what it is for.

Strength and Honor

Old March 24th 04, 05:17 AM
Mark Keith

(ROBMURR) wrote in message ...
I did a search and I saw great pictures of some of these radios. They are
just incredible. I notice that they often came with a panel on the back
side that came up. I wonder what that was for?

If you are talking about the tube type from the 1950s that panel
lifted up from the front and was a cover for the radio dial to protect
it as well as a holder for the wavemagnet antenna...
I have an H500 from 1952? or so that I should restore one day....

I had one of those. 1950-52??. Think it was a H500. Had the square
dial in the middle like a clock...I sold that one long ago, and still
regret it. Thing was great for MW.
I have a 1958 model now. The radio itself is about the same,
"different dial layout", but I preferred the bigger loop in the H500
vs the slimmer loop in the 58 model. I forgot the model of mine...A600
maybe? But I don't use mine much any more. I used to use it all the
time, but the caps started drying out, and it would drop out once it
got warmed up. Also, the tubes are getting harder to find and more $$,
and I didn't want to fry em, if I have others radios to burn. It just
sits under my table now collecting dust...I'll fix it up some day when
I get overly bored.
I've got a 1948 RCA console I'd rather mess with than it right now. I
consider that console probably the peak of late 40's MW listening
pleasure, even though as a console, it's pretty boring looking
compared to many of the tombstones, etc. Mine is one of the first RCA
models to use the hideaway drawer on the right for the tuner. The
turntable is on the top left. What makes it semi special is it's audio
amp. It's got a semi high quality dual 6v6 audio amp. Lots of power
and good audio for the average 40's RCA console. Most used smaller
single tube audio outputs. It uses a 12 inch speaker, and has a loop
much bigger than a TO. The loop is rotatable within the rear of the
cabinet.It does cover some lower SW bands also I think up to maybe
19m?? ...
I consider it actually more desirable of an old radio to listen to
than the TO.
It sounds BIG. And it's old enuff to be different...I wasn't born yet,
when it was built... I was only 2 when my 58 TO was built...

If your talking about the later solid state ones, I have no clue.

I've never had any interest in the solid state TO's....Only the tube
jobs. The TO was a high quality radio for it's day. One of the
highest priced you could buy of it's type. MK
Old March 25th 04, 05:31 AM
maryanne kehoe

I bought my Royal 7000-1 for $250 in 1971, that was a LOT of money to a
kid who's only income was babysitting $$$. I've had offers to sell it
and it ain't going nowhere!

Trans-Oceanic Radios

Group: rec.radio.shortwave Date: Tue, Mar 23, 2004, 9:17pm (EST-3) From:
(Mark=A0Keith)

Old March 10th 04, 10:08 PM
Dave Stadt

"S R" wrote in message
I did a search and I saw great pictures of some of these radios. They are
just incredible. I notice that they often came with a panel on the back
side that came up. I wonder what that was for?

Not too long ago I was at J&R's (electronic store), and I did see replicas
of vintage radios. And I did see a Trans-Oceanic style radio. It looked
like the radio that was use in the Spirit of St. Luis.

The Spirit of St Louis had no radio.

Old March 10th 04, 10:32 PM
Frank Dresser

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...

The Spirit of St Louis had no radio.

That's right. Lindberg figured it would better to carry extra fuel
rather than a radio.

But "Spirit of St. Louis" is now a brand name for some really cheesy,
weird imported products:

http://www.allfunkystuff.com/Spiritofstlouis.htm

The SOSL Alarm Clock Radio sorta fits the original poster's description.

Frank Dresser

Old March 10th 04, 10:20 PM
John Miller

S R wrote:
I did a search and I saw great pictures of some of these radios. They are
just incredible. I notice that they often came with a panel on the back
side that came up. I wonder what that was for?

It's an antenna, which Zenith called the Wavemagnet, and which was
detachable and could be used at the end of an extension cable for best
placement.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.
-Louis Armstrong

Old March 15th 04, 06:35 AM
maryanne kehoe

I own a Royal 7000-1 Trans Oceanic----I remember the days when if you
were a SWL, you didn't *admit* to owning one!