RadioBanter

-   -   External antenna on Grundig 700 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/41285-re-external-antenna-grundig-700-a.html)

Arthur Pozner March 14th 04 06:57 PM

External antenna on Grundig 700

I believe it is a PAL (75 Ohm) jack. When using the SAT 700
several years ago I noticed spurious FM and TV sounds breaking through
on certain SW bands. This was observed using the built in
telescoping antenna on two 700s . Prior to September
11,2001 electromagnetic emissions from the broadcasting
antennas,located atop of North tower must have been enormous- millions
of watts of RF. Sadly we do not have this condition any longer nor
do we have these interesting receivers anymore.
Having considered this an outside antenna cannot be used in a strong RF
environment ,may be a preselector can help . The audio is incredible-a
true Grundig sound . Enjoy.

Larry Ozarow March 14th 04 11:25 PM

Arthur Pozner wrote:
I believe it is a PAL (75 Ohm) jack. When using the SAT 700
several years ago I noticed spurious FM and TV sounds breaking through
on certain SW bands. This was observed using the built in
telescoping antenna on two 700s . Prior to September
11,2001 electromagnetic emissions from the broadcasting
antennas,located atop of North tower must have been enormous- millions
of watts of RF. Sadly we do not have this condition any longer nor
do we have these interesting receivers anymore.
Having considered this an outside antenna cannot be used in a strong RF
environment ,may be a preselector can help . The audio is incredible-a
true Grundig sound . Enjoy.

It is indeed a PAL jack. You can get a PAL to F adapter at
Radioshack (there was a guy selling them on E-bay at around
100% markup for a while, but you're probably better off going
straight to RS). I fooled around with an external wire a little
and it did make a difference, but I prefer to keep it
portable and stick with the telescoping antenna. For the kind
of listening I do, it's sufficient.

Larry

RHF March 15th 04 06:16 AM

= = = (BCcubed) wrote in message
= = = ...

Hello all,

I am trying to decide whether to add an external antenna on a Sat 700.

First, doea anyone know what type of jack is that on the side of the radio?

Second, I have heard conflicting reports on the advisability of adding more
wire on a portable. Would I be placing my radio in harms way to add this?

I am thinking of searching for plans for a good box antenna.

Thanks,

Neil

NEIL,

This is a European type PAL Socket and requires an PAL to
"F" Converter Plug to fit the Grundig Satellit 700 Radio.

RadioShack Catalog #: 278-265 is a PAL to 'F' Adapter.

hth ~ RHF

..