RadioBanter

-   -   "Never Miss" Programming (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/41323-%22never-miss%22-programming.html)

Rev. Tim McIntire March 15th 04 04:01 PM

"Never Miss" Programming

Hey, all...

As slight detour from the technical specs that go over my head and the flame
wars between people I don't know, I thought I'd ask everyone which radio
programming they most enjoy.

Me, I like Alex Jones, Art Bell, the BBC World Service, and Radio Cairo.
And I think John Batchelor on WABC 770 in New York is the absolutely most
informative show on radio.

Rev. Tim McIntire AIM/YIM/MSN: revtimmymac
http://www.reverendtim.com PGP Key ID: 0x0290EA17

Maximus March 15th 04 05:18 PM

Hi Rev :)
I like Radio New Zealand and Radio Nacional Do Amazonia in Brazil. I pass
over any religious stations because I find very very few to be my cup of tea
and I dislike the way religion is used as a means to make a living, but that
is my personal bias.

I also like Radio Vlaanderen International and Radio Netherlands because I
like hearing what is going on in the rest of the world. I don't trust our
government to speak the truth anymore, and I don't trust the media to be
factual either because they are driven by the urge to splash sensational
headlines and abandon a worthy story because it no longer carries the impact
it did.
I also like listening to Hams, GHFS and weather stations.

"Strength and Honor"

Diverd4777 March 15th 04 06:13 PM

BBC ( news & commentary )

WBCQ 7.415 ( Planet World News, Weekend Music Shows, Tasha Femkins, Alan Wiener
Worldwide, John Lightning & RNI International) Rabbi Spivak , Jean Sheperd

Radio Canada International ( A.M.)

Radio Australia 9.580 ( A.M)

Other Music shows on RNZI 17.675 ( propagation willing)

n article , "Rev. Tim McIntire"

Volker Tonn March 15th 04 06:20 PM

Maximus wrote:

.... I don't trust our
government to speak the truth anymore, and I don't trust the media to be
factual either because they are driven by the urge to splash sensational
headlines and abandon a worthy story because it no longer carries the impact
it did.

Good general coverage insight. Sadly even true for europe.
At least DW and other international german broadcasters are (mostly)
independent from goverments with their content.

Volker

Rev. Tim McIntire March 15th 04 06:31 PM

"Volker Tonn" wrote in message

Maximus wrote:

.... I don't trust our
government to speak the truth anymore, and I don't trust the media to be
factual either because they are driven by the urge to splash sensational
headlines and abandon a worthy story because it no longer carries the

impact
it did.

Good general coverage insight. Sadly even true for europe.
At least DW and other international german broadcasters are (mostly)
independent from goverments with their content.

I figure it's probably not a good idea to get your information from any one
source - left, right, commercial, governmental, or otherwise. What I love
about SWL is that it lets me get different perspectives from a variety of
sources so that I can then make up my own mind about things.

Volker Tonn March 15th 04 08:06 PM

Rev. Tim McIntire schrieb:

I figure it's probably not a good idea to get your information from any one
source - left, right, commercial, governmental, or otherwise. What I love
about SWL is that it lets me get different perspectives from a variety of
sources so that I can then make up my own mind about things.

You got it. But is is a good to have an idea wich source to trust more
or less.

T. Early March 15th 04 08:45 PM

Rev. Tim McIntire schrieb:

I figure it's probably not a good idea to get your information

from any one
source - left, right, commercial, governmental, or otherwise.

What I love
about SWL is that it lets me get different perspectives from a

variety of
sources so that I can then make up my own mind about things.

You got it. But is is a good to have an idea wich source to trust

more
or less.

Unfortunately, that's not an easy thing to do, which is why I agree
with the perspective about using multiple sources--SW included. I
always somewhat baffled when someone says they listen to international
SW broadcasters because they do not "trust" U.S. media. While I
agree that I may not be wise to always trust our own media, I'm not
convinced at all that international broadcasters such as Radio
Netherlands, DW, or the BBC are any more trustworthy on a case by case
basis. The fact is -all- media consistently reflect the biases of
those responsible for the creation of the content.

Volker Tonn March 15th 04 09:01 PM

T. Early schrieb:

... The fact is -all- media consistently reflect the biases of
those responsible for the creation of the content.

The VoA for example is known to be controlled by the US gouverment all
way down and shows its biases through every word said and even more NOT
said. In germany the influence of gouvernment on media is very limited
by strong laws.

Frank Dresser March 15th 04 09:19 PM

"ac-acadaptor" wrote in message
nk.net...
For purely entertainment value, Alex Jones is tough to beat!

I'll add James Lloyd, The Last Day Prophet of God and G.W. Gentry to
that list!

Frank Dresser

Rev. Tim McIntire March 15th 04 09:20 PM

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

I'll add James Lloyd, The Last Day Prophet of God and G.W. Gentry to
that list!

And where might a fella tune him in?

Frank Dresser March 15th 04 11:21 PM

"Rev. Tim McIntire" wrote in message

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

I'll add James Lloyd, The Last Day Prophet of God and G.W. Gentry to
that list!

And where might a fella tune him in?

Alex Jones:

http://infowars.com/listen.html

James Lloyd's program is called "the apocolypse chronicles"

http://www.christianmedianetwork.com/bschedule.htm

And here's the Prophet:

http://overcomerministry.com/Outreach/sw.shtml

George W. Gentry is on WWCR 5.070 MHz

Sunday 5:30-6:00AM central

Highly Recommended!!!

Frank Dresser

T. Early March 16th 04 02:26 AM

T. Early schrieb:

... The fact is -all- media consistently reflect the biases of
those responsible for the creation of the content.

The VoA for example is known to be controlled by the US gouverment

all
way down and shows its biases through every word said and even more

NOT
said. In germany the influence of gouvernment on media is very

limited
by strong laws.

We agree partially on this one. Certainly VOA is an arm of the U.S.
government, but I believe what they -do- say is more non-partisan
("bland" might be another term) than much of what is broadcast on our
private sector media. I'd agree, though, that the devil is in what
they -don't- say.

While I understand your point relating to the lack of influence of
government on media in Germany, that does not mean that the media
(e.g., DW) does not have its own biases--only that those biases are
not government influenced.

tommyknocker March 16th 04 02:36 AM

Maximus wrote:

Hi Rev :)
I like Radio New Zealand and Radio Nacional Do Amazonia in Brazil. I pass
over any religious stations because I find very very few to be my cup of tea
and I dislike the way religion is used as a means to make a living, but that
is my personal bias.

I personally don't like the form of Christianity that stations like WWCR
push. I find it to be very bigoted, hateful, and greedy. I doubt Jesus
would have approved.

I also like Radio Vlaanderen International and Radio Netherlands because I
like hearing what is going on in the rest of the world. I don't trust our
government to speak the truth anymore, and I don't trust the media to be
factual either because they are driven by the urge to splash sensational
headlines and abandon a worthy story because it no longer carries the impact
it did.

I like Radio Netherlands too. I also like Radio Exterior De Espan~a's
news-when I can hear it, which isn't often nowadays (today they were
under the noise floor). I trust their news more than American news
(although I DO watch NBC, just to have a point of reference when
debating on usenet with people who only know American news). I've tried
Vlaanderen, and it seems to me that they're mostly focused on Belgian
national news rather than international news. But that was a while ago,
maybe they've changed. Considering how much the American government lies
to its people, I'd trust a crack addict with my money before I'd trust
the Bush Administration with the truth.

I also like listening to Hams, GHFS and weather stations.

Hams have always bored me. As for weather stations, I find that I'm
enjoying my little $1.98 Weatheradio. Although the weather doesn't do
dramatic shifts here like it does in other parts of the country, the
loop tape still makes for interesting listening.

I'm also a big fan of plain old DXing-when I wake up real early, which
is about once a week, I tune around to see what I can get. I hang out
mostly on 49m and 31m-41m has too much ham QRM, the tropical bands don't
come in too well around here, and there seems to be a high noise floor
above 10 Mhz.

tommyknocker March 16th 04 02:39 AM

Volker Tonn wrote:

Maximus wrote:

.... I don't trust our
government to speak the truth anymore, and I don't trust the media to be
factual either because they are driven by the urge to splash sensational
headlines and abandon a worthy story because it no longer carries the impact
it did.

Good general coverage insight. Sadly even true for europe.
At least DW and other international german broadcasters are (mostly)
independent from goverments with their content.

This formula doesn't always work-look at the BBC.

Brian Denley March 16th 04 03:52 AM

Rev. Tim McIntire wrote:
Hey, all...

As slight detour from the technical specs that go over my head and
the flame wars between people I don't know, I thought I'd ask
everyone which radio programming they most enjoy.

Other than weak signal dx, Radio New Zealand International is my favorite.
I also listen to the BBC (World Service) and Radio Netherlands.

--
Brian Denley

starman March 16th 04 06:24 AM

Brian Denley wrote:

Other than weak signal dx, Radio New Zealand International is my favorite.
I also listen to the BBC (World Service) and Radio Netherlands.

Do you remember when RNZI was weak signal dx?

Dxluver March 16th 04 08:06 AM

As slight detour from the technical specs that go over my head and the flame
wars between people I don't know, I thought I'd ask everyone which radio
programming they most enjoy.

VOT(Voice of Turkey)
Coast to Coast
Alex Jones (sometimes,depends)
Israel
700WLW
1360HOMER (sometimes)
China
Russia
Taiwan
60 meter band is my favorite dxing band:-)
**there are many more**
~*Monitoring The Airwaves*~
*GO BEARCATS*
~Hammarlund HQ 129X Heathkit Q Multiplier~
Hammarlund HQ 140X
Multiple GE P-780

William Mutch March 16th 04 02:41 PM

In article ,
says...
Hey, all...

As slight detour from the technical specs that go over my head and the flame
wars between people I don't know, I thought I'd ask everyone which radio
programming they most enjoy.

My two general favorites are R. Nederland and R. Canada Internat.

For music I favor R. Athens and R. Cairo even though I cant
understand any of the words.

I often listen to the Beeb news at 0500Z. The interview they had
last night with that kid who's dad was a high Taliban was a real eye
opener.

Like too many Americans I dont have any fluent other languages so
I mostly cruise the bands looking for English. I often stop scanning
when I hear a language I can't even identify and hang on the frequency
hoping for a multilingual station indent.

For comic relief I sometime listen to the news on R. Habana Cuva

Brian Denley March 17th 04 01:20 AM

starman wrote:

Do you remember when RNZI was weak signal dx?

Geez lately some nights it still is! hehe

--
Brian Denley

Vic Martinez March 17th 04 08:32 AM

Someone mentioned John Batchelor on WABC in New York. Are you saying
WABC is on shortwave too?

RHF March 17th 04 08:25 PM

= = = (Vic Martinez) wrote in message
= = = ...

Someone mentioned John Batchelor on WABC in New York. Are you saying
WABC is on shortwave too?

VM,

The John Batchelor Show on ABC Radio Network is not on Shortwave,
but should be since many citizens of foreign nations could benefit
from some FACTUAL News Reporting from the USofA. That is NOT Filter
by their Governments of the Liberal Media of the USofA.
http://www.abcradio.com/index.cfm?ba...id=63&cpid=179
http://www.abcradio.com/index.cfm?ba...id=63&cpid=174

Originating from WABC 770 kHz AM Talk Radio
http://www.wabcradio.com/showdj.asp?DJID=9178

I listen to him locally on KSFO 560 kHz AM Talk Radio
http://www.ksfo560.com/showdj.asp?DJID=18217

John Batchelor is sort-of-like Art Bell but His the Focus is Politics.

Fequently the John Batchelor Show breaks news that is picked-up
the next day by other media sources.

Case-In-Point: The Spanish Intelligence Reports that confirmed
the al Qauda was behind the Train Bombings in Spain.

Hey - Maybe ABC should think about
getting into the Shortwave Business (again).

~ RHF

..

RHF March 18th 04 05:05 AM

RTM,

YES - The John Batchelor Show on ABC Radio Network is not on
Shortwave BBBBBBBuuuuuuuutttttttttt............

He has knlowledgeable Persons "In-Country" who are 'politically aware'
that contribute regulary and are a major part of the Program Content.

If I were a citizen of foreign country and wanted some FACTUAL
News Reporting from the USofA. That is NOT Filtered by my own
Governments or the Liberal Media of the USofA. I would listen
to John Batchelor on the Internet.

Grumpus March 18th 04 08:19 AM

"Rev. Tim McIntire" wrote in message ...
Hey, all...

As slight detour from the technical specs that go over my head and the flame
wars between people I don't know, I thought I'd ask everyone which radio
programming they most enjoy.

Me, I like Alex Jones, Art Bell, the BBC World Service, and Radio Cairo.
And I think John Batchelor on WABC 770 in New York is the absolutely most
informative show on radio.

Rev. Tim McIntire AIM/YIM/MSN: revtimmymac
http://www.reverendtim.com PGP Key ID: 0x0290EA17

Whenever I get a chance I like to listen to World of Radio, DXing With
Cumbre, S/W DXer's Unlimited. John Batchelor is brilliant at what he
does. If I had to come up with a name for just exactly what that is I
would call it "Radio Intrigue". Sometimes I'm almost giddy like a kid
in the Depression listening to The Shadow when I hear his take on the
Great Game being played out around the world. His format with its
mixture of soundbites and choice musical cuts is nonpareil, but
unfortunately I believe he is the high apostle of the
neoconservatives, so I do not take seriously his politics, at least,
not all the time. On the other hand it is hard to fault a guy who can
line up an interview with Gary Kasparov and expound eloquently on the
Barnes Foundation. Tim, maybe you know, what happened to his partner
in crime Paul Alexander? Why did they part ways?

Regards,

Grumpus

Regards,

Grumpus

RHF March 18th 04 04:57 PM

BD - Is the TRUTH - Right Wing ?

BD - Are the FACTS - Wacko ?

Fequently the John Batchelor Show breaks news that is picked-up
the next day by other media sources.

Case-In-Point: The Spanish Intelligence Reports that confirmed
the Al Qaida was behind the Train Bombings in Spain.

The next day this 'Intel' was a feature item on both NPR Radio
and the PBS Nightly News citing the same sources.
[ Just and old KQED NewsRoom Listener - Who Likes Honest Reporting. ]

Try Listening with 'both' Ears - Not with just one of your Wings :o)

wua... ~ RHF
= Wake-Up America... The Truth Shall Keep Your Free !
..
..
= = = "Brian Denley" wrote in message
= = = news:kb66c.29735$JL2.348448@attbi_s03...

RHF wrote:

The John Batchelor Show on ABC Radio Network is not on Shortwave,
but should be since many citizens of foreign nations could benefit
from some FACTUAL News Reporting from the USofA. That is NOT Filter
by their Governments of the Liberal Media of the USofA.

.

In other words he's a right wing wacko?

..

Rev. Tim McIntire March 18th 04 06:35 PM

"Brian Denley" wrote in message
In other words he's a right wing wacko?

He's definitely of a conservative bent, but even a leftie like me can really
get into his guests, who are several cuts above your usual talking head. I
don't take anybody's word as gospel on the radio, but he goes out of his way
to find people who really seem to know their stuff.

Last week he had on a guy who'd done commando stuff for the OSS during World
War II. Quite possibly the most interesting hour of radio I've ever heard.