RadioBanter

-   -   sangean shortwabe portables (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/41547-sangean-shortwabe-portables.html)

Bunia3 March 27th 04 02:41 AM

sangean shortwabe portables

i have several Sangean sw portables---including the radio shack dx-380.

they all show poor sensitivity on all bands--my grundig YB 400/SONY 7600G blows
them all away by a BIG margin!!.

can these sangeans be modified to increase sensitivity?

thanx.

Tony Meloche March 27th 04 03:54 AM

Diverd4777 wrote:

Add an external antenna...

I agree. I used to use a Sangean 505 with the 20-odd foot reel-up
antenna. I was more than pleased with it - I was impressed. It came
nowhere near the equipment I'm using now, but for a total investment of
$75, I though it was a dandy.

Tony

John Plimmer March 27th 04 04:01 AM

I have a Sangean 818 & 803A and they are an equal match to the Sony 7600G
anyday.
Seems to me you have blown the front end FET's on your Sangeans
That happens when users put too much wire on the antenna's
South 33 d 47 m 540 s, East 20 d 07 m 541 s.
RX Drake R8B, SW8
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

gil March 27th 04 07:44 PM

I have the DX-380 which I still love to use. A couple of years ago the
sensitivity dropped, replaced the FET with a similar Radio Shack FET and the
radio has been rocking since.

Gil

--
Please remove NOSPAM to reply

CW April 1st 04 07:51 AM

Yes, attach an external antenna. Sensitivity off the whip on these radios
tends to be somewhat less than a lot of portables but their ability to
handle a substantial antenna is better than most. It is a tradeoff.

"Bunia3" wrote in message

can these sangeans be modified to increase sensitivity?

..