Old May 7th 04, 07:49 PM
LW

"John Lyder" wrote ...

Dam Commie's, Good for them ! http://drudgereport.com/flash5.htm

Who needsa buncha Kommie-Krats anyway.

RUSH RULES ! ! ! ! NEIL BOORTZ RULES ! ! ! ! MICHAEL REAGAN RULES ! ! !

http://www.boortz.com/ (Check out the "boo gah shah" clip.)
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/today.guest.html
http://www.reagan.com/
Old May 7th 04, 08:33 PM
Frank Dresser

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
0...

Sounds like a start-up company having cashflow trouble. Also sounds like
their staff needs trimming by about 3/4. But it doesn't sound Communist.

Fire 'em all, and give the network to Alex Jones. AJ may be prone to
peculiar thought processes, but he's at least twice the talk show host of
anyone they have on the air now.

Frank Dresser

Old May 8th 04, 02:56 PM
Frank Dresser

"MnMikew" wrote in message

AJ for President!

That's an excellent idea! Just imagine what the Alex Jones show would be
like once the Jones administration started up.

President Jones is evil!

President Jones is a tool of the Illuminati!

President Jones worships Satan!

And Alex Jones could be even more sure of his facts than he is now, once he
gets a high level source in the White House.

Frank Dresser

Old May 8th 04, 07:06 PM
Frank Dresser

"T. Early" wrote in message

I can't agree with the start-up analogy. They are hardly a bunch of
people who started in a garage with a dream and found themselves in
over their heads before working out the angles. They had a
considerable period of time to scope out this entire concept, get
people on board who knew what they were doing, and apply rational
business principles before beginning the entire operation. Apparently
they did not. The people behind it should have known better -before-
getting their feet wet. The fact that they are having this much
trouble this early on bodes badly because it calls into question the
initial knowledge behind the entire enterprise.

It looks like the backers of Air America have decided switching horses in
the middle of the stream is better than the alternative:

The Los Angeles Times reports:

"Company President Jon Sinton told the Chicago Tribune...that Cohen resigned
because other investors weren't happy with how he handled a financial
dispute with affiliate stations in Los Angeles and Chicago, which resulted
in the network's going off the air in those cities, with no replacements yet
lined up."

The Times also reports, "Air America also missed its payroll this week by
one day, for what insiders called technical reasons."

http://radio.about.com/cs/latestradi.../aa050804a.htm

"Technical reasons"? Way to go! They may not have the first clue on how to
run a radio network, but they sure know how to speak and yet not say
anything!

I haven't paid alot of attention to the small brokered stations around here
in Chicago lately, but a few weeks ago, it did sound like there was airtime
available in the afternoon. One station was playing oldies without
advertising. I'd think they could have gotten Al Franken back on the air,
at least.

Frankly, I initially wrote off the carping from some conservative
broadcasters as sour grapes, but it's sure beginning to look like
they were right.

The backround stories on Air America are far more interesting than their
programming. Their on-air hosts sounded "overcoached".

Frank Dresser

Old May 8th 04, 08:45 PM
David

How much listening are you doing? Except for Franken (who's not half
bad) and Garafolo (who pretty much sucks) the rest of the shows seem
pretty competent and well done. Franken is entertaining at times and
shows promise but is a tad less audience empathetic and tends to
experiment too much.

It certainly is a refreshing change of pace from all the Right Wingers
parroting Ed Gillespie bullet points over and over like some kind of
Nazi propaganda channel.

Old May 8th 04, 10:08 PM
Frank Dresser

"David" wrote in message
How much listening are you doing?

I haven't done any listening since Air America stopped broadcasting in
Chicago. I was a semi-regular before that.

Except for Franken (who's not half
bad) and Garafolo (who pretty much sucks) the rest of the shows seem
pretty competent and well done. Franken is entertaining at times and
shows promise but is a tad less audience empathetic and tends to
experiment too much.

Franken is a good writer, and performs his own stuff reasonably well. I
think his real difficulty was having a good conversation with the callers.
I don't think his partner added much to the show.

I found Liz Whatever particularly annoying. She'd toss out lame wisecracks
and keep trying to get the joke to click while the others were trying to
talk to a caller or each other.

I thought most of the other hosts were, talent-wise, maybe about as good as
the average Limbaugh clone. That's not terrible, and guys like Michael
Medved and Sean Hannity somehow manage to get alot of listeners. But some
of the obligitary Bush/Republican bashing sounded forced. Maybe I'd have
liked the shows better if the hosts were allowed to present themselves as
interesting individuals. It also seemed to me that they were trying to
patch styleistic elements of Limbaugh's, Hannity's and Stern's shows into
their own. At times, it sounded clunky.

Chuck D had his interesting moments. On one of weekend night shows, he was
talking about illiteracy in the black community. Not just reading
illiteracy, but the problems which occur for people who don't even know the
meaning of a large percentage of words in standard english. For the moment,
he wasn't bashing the Republicans or praising some fix-it presented by the
Democratic Party. He was describing a problem which most Americans are, at
best, vaguely aware of. It was the most thoughtful thing I'd heard on Air
America.

It certainly is a refreshing change of pace from all the Right Wingers
parroting Ed Gillespie bullet points over and over like some kind of
Nazi propaganda channel.

There's an audience for the Limbaugh clones, so maybe there's an audience
for their flip sides. Neither side seems engaging to me. The Air America
hosts seemed a bit less strident to me during the last week of April, but I
wasn't listening much then.

Frank Dresser

Voice of America used to emanate from Dixon Mike Terry Broadcasting 8 December 13th 10 09:51 PM
Shakeup At Air America Radio: CEO and Program Director Out Mike Terry Shortwave 12 April 29th 04 02:56 AM
Air America N8KDV Shortwave 6 April 28th 04 08:53 PM
Air America - where every flight crashes Stephen M.H. Lawrence Shortwave 4 April 15th 04 04:20 AM
Fwd: R Prague A 04 Summer Schedule WA4009SWL Shortwave 1 March 18th 04 07:32 PM