RadioBanter

-   -   How is AM Reception in the Tivoli PAL ot the Boston Acoustics Receptor? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/42583-re-how-am-reception-tivoli-pal-ot-boston-acoustics-receptor.html)

Stephen May 14th 04 03:19 AM

How is AM Reception in the Tivoli PAL ot the Boston Acoustics Receptor?

"Jim Williams" wrote in message
Is the AM reception as weak in the Tivoli PAL as it is in the Model
One?

How about the Boston Acoustics Receptor (AM Reception)?

Thanks,
Jim

Sangean also has a model that you might want to consider - here's a review:

http://www.radiolabs.com/Articles/woodradio2.html

I have a preference for portable radios, and recently bought the Grundig
S350 which is a decent performer on AM, and has a large enough speaker to
have good tone. Perhaps you can post a follow-up and let us know what you
end up with and what you think of it - I've been curious about both of the
models you mentioned. Good luck.

Stephen

--
Please remove no and spam from my email address if replying by email.

Jay Heyl May 14th 04 04:08 AM

In article ,
says...
Is the AM reception as weak in the Tivoli PAL as it is in the Model
One?

How about the Boston Acoustics Receptor (AM Reception)?

I was somewhat disappointed in the MW reception of the Recepter. It's
definitely not a DX machine as it stands. They did, however, allow the
internal ferrite antenna to be very easily replaced with an external
antenna. I'm sure the MW reception issue is primarily due to the use of
a small internal ferrite bar. Switching to an external antenna that can
be easily rotated would improve reception considerably.

FM reception on the Recepter is among the best I've heard.

-- Jay

G. Cook May 17th 04 04:51 PM

Jay Heyl wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
Is the AM reception as weak in the Tivoli PAL as it is in the Model
One?

How about the Boston Acoustics Receptor (AM Reception)?

I was somewhat disappointed in the MW reception of the Recepter. It's
definitely not a DX machine as it stands. They did, however, allow the
internal ferrite antenna to be very easily replaced with an external
antenna. I'm sure the MW reception issue is primarily due to the use of
a small internal ferrite bar. Switching to an external antenna that can
be easily rotated would improve reception considerably.

FM reception on the Recepter is among the best I've heard.

-- Jay

Hello,
Disclaimer: I speak for myself only, and not for Tivoli Audio, nor do
I have any connection to Tivoli. I designed the Model One and the PAL
electronics. IMHO a PAL will provide good reception of all but the
weakest AM stations.
The PAL has a 2" ferrite rod antenna which limits the sensitivity to
that of radios with a comparable length antenna. On AM, size
definitely matters. Both the PAL and the Model One have pretty good
sensitivity, and have better than average selectivity and dynamic
range. The hi-fi sound is the best part, as most owners will confirm.
Mediocre AM sensitivity on the early Model Ones was substantially
improved shortly after its' introduction, unfortunately not before it
got a poor reputation.
If you're trying to get the most distant AM stations a GE Superadio
will do better with its 8 inch long antenna. Many digital radios with
an internal antenna suffer from self-interference due to HF noise
from the digital circuits, and this will limit sensitivity. A Receptor
with a long wire or long ferrite rod external antenna should work
well, although at some point the input RF stages could either be
detuned or overloaded.
A high Q tuned loop external antenna improves reception in almost all
situations.
G. Cook

Steve Black May 18th 04 05:05 AM

G Cook,

Thanks for the info. I thought Henry Kloss designed those radios? Was
it a collaboration?

Also, who sells external ferrite antennas? Also, what is a Hi Q
antenna?

Thanks again,
Steve

On 17 May 2004 08:51:31 -0700, (G. Cook) wrote:

Jay Heyl wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

Telamon May 18th 04 05:42 AM

In article ,
(G. Cook) wrote:

Jay Heyl wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

I have owned a Tivoli Model One since they first came out and enjoy it
on a daily basis. I usually listen to FM on it at work. I don't pick up
any AM inside the concrete and steel building where I work. The AM
worked fine at home. Thanks for designing a great radio, which has great
sound in a very small footprint.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Gray Shockley May 18th 04 06:37 AM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 23:05:04 -0500, Steve Black wrote
(in article ):

Also, who sells external ferrite antennas? Also, what is a Hi Q
antenna?

Thanks again,
Steve

I'm in a /really/ dead area.

This is what I use:

http://ccrane.com/am-antenna.asp

I also use:

http://ccrane.com/select_a_tenna_hardwire.asp

[notice this is /not/ the standard model]

Gray Shockley
----------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio+ w/RS Loop
Justice AM Antenna
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
---------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Jay Heyl May 18th 04 08:02 AM

In article ,
says...
Also, who sells external ferrite antennas? Also, what is a Hi Q
antenna?

While it might be considered overkill for one of the radios you
mentioned, the Quantum QX (
http://www.dxtools.com/QX.htm) would most
assuredly overcome the limitations of the internal antenna. Another
alternative would be the CCRane AM Antenna (formerly the Justice AM
Antenna) (http://www.ccrane.com).

If you're inclined to experiment, you can make a tuned ferrite antenna
fairly easily with about $20 worth of parts (probably less if you can
find an old tube radio at a garage sale). Do a search on Google and you
should find lots of places with detailed instructions.

-- Jay

G. Cook May 18th 04 03:11 PM

Steve Black wrote in message . ..
G Cook,

Thanks for the info. I thought Henry Kloss designed those radios? Was
it a collaboration?

Also, who sells external ferrite antennas? Also, what is a Hi Q
antenna?

Thanks again,
Steve

snip snip

Hi Steve,
The Model One and PAL are classic Henry Kloss designs. We worked
together for many years, from the mid-80's until his death in 2002. I
started at Advent in 1972, with the Model 400 as my first FM tuner.
Henry was wonderful at recognizing combinations of new and old
technologies that would make new and useful products, and then pushing
them out as quickly as possible to the market. He conceived the Model
One and designed its' acoustics, controls and basic appearance, and
financed and project managed. I provided the electronic design which
satisfied his requirements for ease of use, high FM dynamic range, low
audio distortion, and precise acoustic frequency response
equalization. The PAL is the same idea of performance, simplicity and
good sound taken into a smaller, portable package. The designs are
licensed to Tivoli Audio for manufacture and sales.
Again, I do NOT speak for Tivoli or anyone but me, and I am not
involved with any Tivoli products besides the Model One or PAL.
G. Cook

GO BEARCATS May 19th 04 05:40 AM

I have owned a Tivoli Model One since they first came out and enjoy it
on a daily basis.

***********rest snipped************
Indeed. I have had mine for over a year and enjoy it a lot. For AM, I keep the
rat shack loop next to it, unless it's a local station.

Great radio.

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+HowellSW
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Long-Wire
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*
~OptimusCTR-111Cassettte Recorder~
~Radio Shack 2Speed VOX#43-476~
~Ramsey Speech Scrambler~

Ramon Khalona May 19th 04 05:44 PM

(G. Cook) wrote

Hello,
Disclaimer: I speak for myself only, and not for Tivoli Audio, nor do
I have any connection to Tivoli. I designed the Model One and the PAL
electronics. IMHO a PAL will provide good reception of all but the
weakest AM stations.
The PAL has a 2" ferrite rod antenna which limits the sensitivity to
that of radios with a comparable length antenna. On AM, size
definitely matters. Both the PAL and the Model One have pretty good
sensitivity, and have better than average selectivity and dynamic
range. The hi-fi sound is the best part, as most owners will confirm.
Mediocre AM sensitivity on the early Model Ones was substantially
improved shortly after its' introduction, unfortunately not before it
got a poor reputation.

Thanks very much for this response. I own an early Model One and a
Model Two
(stereo FM). Do they both share the same AM section? They are
equally deaf on the AM band and I have to use a RS AM loop in order to
get decent AM reception. They are both wonderful radios, but they
could use tone control(s) as the sound tends to be on the bassy side.
The Model Two could also benefit from a MONO switch.

Ramon Khalona