RadioBanter

-   -   It's baaaack! 10.512USB (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/42677-re-its-baaaack-10-512usb.html)

Brian Hill May 18th 04 01:52 AM

It's baaaack! 10.512USB

"Brian Sturges" wrote in message
Don't know how long the tones have been on tonight- I just checked it at
01:43UTC. I sure wish somebody who knows more about radio than I would

post
an I.D. for this one. I've never been more curious about a signal!

Its probably Military. Rest asured we are all curios and trying to ID it.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Jeff Seale May 18th 04 02:26 AM

Brian Hill wrote:
"Brian Sturges" wrote in message

Don't know how long the tones have been on tonight- I just checked it at
01:43UTC. I sure wish somebody who knows more about radio than I would

post

an I.D. for this one. I've never been more curious about a signal!

Its probably Military. Rest asured we are all curios and trying to ID it.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian
A lot of radios and 100' of rusty wire!
Zumbrota, Southern MN
Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianehill/

I finally got a chance to check into it here. It almost sounds
mechanically generated. Boy is this weird! I made a recording of it on
my Sony MZ-R37 mini-disc recorder. This recorder works great with the
un-amped audio output of the Grundig Satellit 800 that I have. I've got
a disc full of that stuff.

Jeff Seale
Satellit 800, YB550PE, Pro95, BC780
Louisville, KY

DAVIDM3123 May 18th 04 03:24 AM

I am not sure what it is supposed to sound like, but I am hearing something
here in Western Oregon.

0217Z

It is a bit faint, my antenna is poor.

Almost sounds like whale songs??

Or am I hearing something else?

GO BEARCATS May 18th 04 04:34 AM

I am not sure what it is supposed to sound like, but I am hearing something
here in Western Oregon.

I've heard it also, it is a weird one. {?}
When in doubt, blame it on HAARP ;-)

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+HowellSW
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Long-Wire
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*
~OptimusCTR-111Cassettte Recorder~
~Radio Shack 2Speed VOX#43-476~
~Ramsey Speech Scrambler~

Jeff Seale May 18th 04 12:13 PM

Heck, this doesn't actually sound like HAARP either, I listened to a
HAARP sample on www.wunclub.com and it didn't sound one bit like this,
unless HAARP is doing things differently these days. I also looked for
previous loggings of 10512 kHz on this site and got nada.

Jeff Seale
Louisville, KY
Satellit 800, YB550PE, BC780, Pro95

Dave Holford May 18th 04 02:58 PM

Dan wrote:

I finally got a chance to check into it here. It almost sounds
mechanically generated. Boy is this weird! I made a recording of it on
my Sony MZ-R37 mini-disc recorder. This recorder works great with the
un-amped audio output of the Grundig Satellit 800 that I have. I've got
a disc full of that stuff.

Another interesting point is that there are reports from England,
Canada and Southeast US coast (me) hearing it. So it's not a
"local" signal.

Anyone on the West coast of the US hearing this? South America?
Australia?

Dan

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America, France,
Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of days.

Dave

Volker Tonn May 18th 04 06:01 PM

Dave Holford schrieb:

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America, France,
Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of days.

Yep, can just receive it in Berlin/ Germany 19.00 local time 17.00 UTC.
But I think it is AM or ISB as I can listenn to it in AM, LSB and USB mode.

Jeff Seale May 18th 04 08:20 PM

Dave Holford wrote:

Dan wrote:

I finally got a chance to check into it here. It almost sounds
mechanically generated. Boy is this weird! I made a recording of it on
my Sony MZ-R37 mini-disc recorder. This recorder works great with the
un-amped audio output of the Grundig Satellit 800 that I have. I've got
a disc full of that stuff.

Another interesting point is that there are reports from England,
Canada and Southeast US coast (me) hearing it. So it's not a
"local" signal.

Anyone on the West coast of the US hearing this? South America?
Australia?

Dan

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America, France,
Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of days.

Dave

Lots of talk going around about this being HAARP, but judging from some
sound samples I just listened to, that just doesn't pan out.

Jeff Seale

N8KDV May 19th 04 12:36 AM

Dan wrote:

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:58:47 -0400, Dave Holford
wrote:

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America, France,
Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of days.

Wow. That's great. I didn't know that.

I wonder if Glenn Hauser will have any info on this?

I just did a search of his site, up and down that frequency range and found
nothing.

But possibly it's listed some other way.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

SouthBound May 19th 04 12:40 AM

N8KDV wrote in
:

wrote:

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America,
France, Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of
days.

Wow. That's great. I didn't know that.

I wonder if Glenn Hauser will have any info on this?

I just did a search of his site, up and down that frequency range and
found nothing.

But possibly it's listed some other way.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

I'm hearing it right now in west Kentucky (23:41z) and it's barely above
the noise. Of course, I'm only using about 10 ft of random wire.

Truly is the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

N8KDV May 19th 04 12:47 AM

wrote:

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America, France,
Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of days.

Wow. That's great. I didn't know that.

I wonder if Glenn Hauser will have any info on this?

You might email him and report it, and/or query him about it:

Jeff Seale May 19th 04 01:42 AM

SouthBound wrote:

N8KDV wrote in
:

wrote:

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America,
France, Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of
days.

Wow. That's great. I didn't know that.

I wonder if Glenn Hauser will have any info on this?

I just did a search of his site, up and down that frequency range and
found nothing.

But possibly it's listed some other way.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

I'm hearing it right now in west Kentucky (23:41z) and it's barely above
the noise. Of course, I'm only using about 10 ft of random wire.

Truly is the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

If you'd be interested, I have a spectrogram of this signal that I can
e-mail to you. I captured it with Visualisation Software's Spectrogram
application.

Diverd4777 May 19th 04 01:44 AM

I think it's The Mother Ship...

starman May 19th 04 02:35 AM

wrote:

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America, France,
Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of days.

Wow. That's great. I didn't know that.

I wonder if Glenn Hauser will have any info on this?

Dan

I was the first to report a very similar signal to GH about 20-years
ago. Back then we thought it might be a new kind of OTH radar. The
signal I'm hearing now (5/19 0130-UTC) changes tones faster than the old
one from the 80's but it's the same principle. I think it's an
ionospheric test signal.

SouthBound May 19th 04 02:56 AM

wrote:

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America, France,
Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of days.

Wow. That's great. I didn't know that.

I wonder if Glenn Hauser will have any info on this?

Dan

I was the first to report a very similar signal to GH about 20-years
ago. Back then we thought it might be a new kind of OTH radar. The
signal I'm hearing now (5/19 0130-UTC) changes tones faster than the old
one from the 80's but it's the same principle. I think it's an
ionospheric test signal.

I've posted on down the group about this... check out this site, it's what
we are hearing...

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/brogers/page6.html

Tony Meloche May 19th 04 03:43 AM

SouthBound wrote:

wrote:

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America, France,
Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of days.

Wow. That's great. I didn't know that.

I wonder if Glenn Hauser will have any info on this?

Dan

I was the first to report a very similar signal to GH about 20-years
ago. Back then we thought it might be a new kind of OTH radar. The
signal I'm hearing now (5/19 0130-UTC) changes tones faster than the old
one from the 80's but it's the same principle. I think it's an
ionospheric test signal.

I've posted on down the group about this... check out this site, it's what
we are hearing...

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/brogers/page6.html

Could be . . . but not knowing for sure makes it all the more
intriguing.
Loud and clear here in the SW corner of Michigan at 0240.

Tony

Jeff Seale May 19th 04 04:17 AM

Tony Meloche wrote:

SouthBound wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The sound sample on that site sounded just like what I heard here.
However, this frequency isn't listed on that site - yet.

Jeff Seale

HiFi May 19th 04 09:28 AM

I also thougt about the "Backwards Music Station", but I know it only
through the example on Broger´s page.

The ENIGMA 2000 code for this station is "XM".

A sked can be found he
http://www.cvni.net/radio/skeds/output/XM.current.txt

Maybe s.o. can compare the transmissions on the sked with 10.512 MHz, for me
they´re a bit late at night!

"Jeff Seale" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Tony Meloche wrote:

Dave Holford May 19th 04 02:58 PM

Diverd4777 wrote:

I think it's The Mother Ship...

I'm surprised no one has linked it with the Mexican UFOs!

Dave

Brian Hill May 22nd 04 08:05 PM

wrote:

I've seen reports from Russia, UK, West Coast of North America, France,
Germany, Australia and New Zealand in the last couple of days.

Wow. That's great. I didn't know that.

I wonder if Glenn Hauser will have any info on this?

Dan

I was the first to report a very similar signal to GH about 20-years
ago. Back then we thought it might be a new kind of OTH radar. The
signal I'm hearing now (5/19 0130-UTC) changes tones faster than the old
one from the 80's but it's the same principle. I think it's an
ionospheric test signal.

I almost positive I heard this before too. It probably was 20 yrs ago.

David May 22nd 04 08:42 PM

On Sat, 22 May 2004 14:05:28 -0500, "Brian Hill"
wrote:

i just did a 3min mp3 of the strange sound, to me it sounds like
a wire that has been pulled tight and the wind blows over it.

David SWL-DAVID NZ

David May 22nd 04 09:37 PM

just a note all so sounds like VLF audio

GrtPmpkin32 May 22nd 04 10:46 PM

i just did a 3min mp3 of the strange sound, to me it sounds like
a wire that has been pulled tight and the wind blows over it.

Yeah, it almost sounds like one of those, what are they called, moosecall
thing? It's a little box or tube with a tight wire or rubber band rigged to it,
and when the wind blows over it, it gives a sound that, now that I consider it,
DOES sound a bit like this signal on 10.512. I just can't recall what they were
called, but they are supposed to scare moose away from electric fences and
other places you didn't want a moose loitering.
Moose loitering may be illegal, actually.
Linus

Jeff Seale May 23rd 04 12:16 AM

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

i just did a 3min mp3 of the strange sound, to me it sounds like
a wire that has been pulled tight and the wind blows over it.

Yeah, it almost sounds like one of those, what are they called, moosecall
thing? It's a little box or tube with a tight wire or rubber band rigged to it,
and when the wind blows over it, it gives a sound that, now that I consider it,
DOES sound a bit like this signal on 10.512. I just can't recall what they were
called, but they are supposed to scare moose away from electric fences and
other places you didn't want a moose loitering.
Moose loitering may be illegal, actually.
Linus

Well, the 'technical' term for this kind of signal is 'backwards music'.
That's because if you were to play it back in reverse and really fast,
it would purportedly produce music of some kind. Frankly I tried this
using Audacity on my PC and came up with crap. ENIGMA calls this kind of
signal XBM.

Jeff Seale
Satellit 800, YB550PE, DX440, BC780, Pro95
Louisville, KY

David May 23rd 04 02:59 AM

On Sat, 22 May 2004 23:16:49 GMT, Jeff Seale
wrote:

made a anther copy 2.9megs and reversed it
but sounds just the same as forward. I think
it coed be digit signal, i can send the wave file
to any one who wants it mp3 2.9meg size.

David

Beloved Leader May 23rd 04 04:52 AM

(GrtPmpkin32) wrote in message ...

Moose loitering may be illegal, actually.

Wait 'til the MCLU hears about this.

On-topic: I've got it on now, 2337 EDST, or 0337Z (unless I bungled
the time change), DX-392, built-in whip at my secret listening bunker
a few miles south of the Pentagon. Wow, is that weird.

You don't suppose this is a pirate station being run by the cicadas,
do you? It sounds like something they would enjoy.

They were going full tilt today. For those not lucky enough - and I
mean that, as I find them quite wonderful - to experience them, the
cicadas put out a loud whistle reminiscent of the sound made by the
flying saucers in Ray Harryhausen's "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers."

http://www.cicadamania.com

http://www.dancentury.com/postal/cic...ages/three.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049169/

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue41/classic.html

Jackie and/or Daniel May 23rd 04 05:01 AM

"Beloved Leader" wrote in message
om...
(GrtPmpkin32) wrote in message

Moose loitering may be illegal, actually.

A moose once bit my sister... moose bites kan be pretty nasty, mind you.

[Major silly cultural reference points if you picked up THAT little movie
reference. Sorry, but my USA keyboard doesn't do umlauts or vowels with
lines through them.)

I didn't hear much coming through on10.512 SSB tonight, which is odd,
because I have definitely heard that strange noise booming in here in SE MN
on my little KA1102 ever since the reports started getting posted here.
Tonight, I was hearing lots more on the "upper" SW bands, but for some
reason, 10.512 USB wasn't coming in too well here this evening.

Jackie

starman May 23rd 04 06:47 AM

Jeff Seale wrote:

Well, the 'technical' term for this kind of signal is 'backwards music'.
That's because if you were to play it back in reverse and really fast,
it would purportedly produce music of some kind. Frankly I tried this
using Audacity on my PC and came up with crap.

I thought it said "Paul is dead".

Jeff Seale May 23rd 04 04:05 PM

starman wrote:
Jeff Seale wrote:

Well, the 'technical' term for this kind of signal is 'backwards music'.
That's because if you were to play it back in reverse and really fast,
it would purportedly produce music of some kind. Frankly I tried this
using Audacity on my PC and came up with crap.

I thought it said "Paul is dead".

Who in the hell is Paul? Anyway, I came up on another mysterious signal
to deal with. It's not as strong as the 'backwards music' on 10.512 MHz
(here in Louisville, KY anyway). It's apparently the so-called 'squeaky
wheel' on 10.580 MHz.

According to http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/brogers/page21.html, this may
be a teletype signal of some kind coming from Russia and usually appears
in the upper chunk of the 3 MHz band (around 3.5-3.9 MHz).

Beloved Leader May 23rd 04 06:01 PM

"Jackie and/or Daniel" wrote in message news:LmVrc.98345$xw3.5818354@attbi_s04...

A moose once bit my sister... moose bites kan be pretty nasty, mind you.

[Major silly cultural reference points if you picked up THAT little movie
reference.]

I didn't, but Google did.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...oogle+Searc h

GrtPmpkin32 May 23rd 04 07:17 PM

I thought it said "Paul is dead".

Who in the hell is Paul?

You must be under 40 :-)

Linus

starman May 25th 04 08:14 AM

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

I thought it said "Paul is dead".

Who in the hell is Paul?

You must be under 40 :-)

Linus

I'd guess he's under 30 and definately not a student of rock music
history.