RadioBanter

-   -   variable capacitor question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/42717-variable-capacitor-question.html)

Brian May 19th 04 10:41 PM

variable capacitor question

Anyone know if the variable cap, that I'm assuming is included in this kit,
will suffice for the bc band loop I want to build?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...uct%5Fid=28-17
9

Brian

Brian May 19th 04 10:43 PM

Brian May 19th 04 10:45 PM

****, I can't get it to link right. Here's the part number: 28-179

N8KDV May 19th 04 10:51 PM

Brian wrote:

Anyone know if the variable cap, that I'm assuming is included in this kit,
will suffice for the bc band loop I want to build?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...uct%5Fid=28-17
9

That link doesn't seem to take me to the kit. But I'm guessing you might need a
larger 365 pf (?) air variable to build a decent loop.

Can't recall where ya get em these days, but they are still available.

Someone will be along momentarily to help you!

Brian Hill May 19th 04 10:53 PM

Whats the capacitance Brian. This is the real Brian Hill by the way ;)

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

hlink.net...

Brian May 19th 04 11:09 PM

I'm guessing 10-365pf would cover the majority of the broadcast band.

Brian

N8KDV May 19th 04 11:11 PM

Brian wrote:

I'm guessing 10-365pf would cover the majority of the broadcast band.

Yep, that would be the one. Maybe Mouser Electronics still has 'em.

I know someone does.

Brian May 19th 04 11:20 PM

Oh, if you mean the capacitance of the one in the kit, I really don't know.
I found the manual online, but didn't see any details for the capacitor.

Brian

Paul_Morphy May 19th 04 11:41 PM

"Brian" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Anyone know if the variable cap, that I'm assuming is included in this

kit,
will suffice for the bc band loop I want to build?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...uct%5Fid=28-17
9

I see a loopstick in the kit and they usually use a 365-pF cap to tune one
of those. Bear in mind the cap is probably a chintzy little thing with a
tiny knob. Check oselectronics.com (#BC14400, $10.95. p 96 of online
catalog) and tubesandmore.com (Antique Radio Parts, #C-V365, $11.95 and
probably the same cap). For what the kit costs I think you could get a
better cap, if that's all you need.

"PM"

Brenda Ann Dyer May 20th 04 12:52 AM

"Brian" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Anyone know if the variable cap, that I'm assuming is included in this

kit,
will suffice for the bc band loop I want to build?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...uct%5Fid=28-17
9

http://www.midnightscience.com/catalog5.html There's a nice one right at
the top of the page..