RadioBanter

-   -   Receiver advice (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/43050-receiver-advice.html)

Joe Analssandrini June 6th 04 10:06 PM

Dear Keith,

In my opinion, you cannot do better than the ICF-7600GR as a "first"
receiver and as a portable. With this receiver you will get to sample
the hobby and see if you like it. There have been other posts about
table-tops vs. portables. I believe that with similar or identical
antennas, most table-tops will outperform a portable. It is important
to note that the antenna is of prime importance. (I believe that the
Sony AN-LP1 Active Loop Antenna is the best antenna for the '7600,
although others may disagree with me.)

If you really like the hobby, you may wish to purchase a table-top and
suitable antenna somewhere "down-the-road," but you certainly won't
have to "get rid" of or "apologize for" your '7600. After all, you
want a portable for trips, casual listening, etc., and if you can only
afford a portable, this is, at the very least, one of the best
available.

The reception you will get depends for the most part on your skill as
a DXer. This comes from time and experience. The '7600 is a great tool
to hone your skills. There are many DXers out there who, with a
portable, can "run rings" around someone else with a table-top.

What I'm trying to say is that you won't be "hampered" by an
"inferior" piece of equipment if you buy a '7600.

However, it's not REALLY a contest - it's about finding entertainment
and, especially, information which is generally not available to the
US public.

You can't go wrong with a Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

Best of luck,

Joe

P.S. There is a Yahoo group devoted to the '7600 series radios which
you may find useful. You'll find it at:
the receiver and also interesting frequencies to which to tune. It's
not a public group so you'll want to join if you are interested.

wrote in message . ..
On the verge of buying my first SW radio and *think* I'm gonna go for
the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, which seems to have some pretty good reviews
and a reputation for being well made.

Any opinions or advice before I splash the cash would be much
appreciated!

Cheers, Keith.