RadioBanter

-   -   The Car-Radio Synchronous-Detection Blues (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/43281-car-radio-synchronous-detection-blues.html)

James Boyk June 14th 04 04:46 PM

The Car-Radio Synchronous-Detection Blues

Now I realize how spoiled I've been by my Sony ICF-2010 at home, with its
excellent synchronous-detection w/ selectable sideband. And the *way* I realize
it is that I find my new Sony XR-CA620X in the car almost unlistenable, even on
strong stations, because of the buzz-saw cycling of the sound.

SONY, MAKE A CAR RADIO WITH SYNCHRONOUS DETECTION, FOR GOODNESS SAKE!! And
selectable sideband, of course. And make the whole thing transparent to the
user; but do include an on-off switch for it, as on the 2010, so the user can
see what it's accomplishing.

James Boyk

Sony June 15th 04 05:00 PM

"James Boyk" wrote in message

SONY, MAKE A CAR RADIO WITH SYNCHRONOUS DETECTION, FOR GOODNESS SAKE!! And
selectable sideband, of course. And make the whole thing transparent to

the
user; but do include an on-off switch for it, as on the 2010, so the user

can
see what it's accomplishing.

James Boyk

Yes we get to work on this chop-chop. Many thanks for post your request in
this group which we monitor every day. Please don't make mistake of getting
off your fat ass and writing letter to manufacturer about this. Best way is
to post here because we monitor this group.
Please give your address. When radio is ready we deliver to your door
because we sure that you will not get off your fat ass to come and get it.

lsmyer June 15th 04 07:04 PM

Sounds like Sony medication ran out early this month.

Don Brady June 15th 04 08:14 PM

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:46:21 -0700, James Boyk
wrote:

Now I realize how spoiled I've been by my Sony ICF-2010 at home, with its
excellent synchronous-detection w/ selectable sideband. And the *way* I realize
it is that I find my new Sony XR-CA620X in the car almost unlistenable, even on
strong stations, because of the buzz-saw cycling of the sound.

I really don't hear buzzing at all.

Sound is fine on BBC, RCI, Deursche Welle, even weak station too.

James Boyk June 16th 04 12:10 AM

Don Brady wrote:
I really don't hear buzzing at all. Sound is fine on BBC, RCI,

Deursche Welle, even weak station too.

Not buzzing, but a cycling of a buzzy quality to the audio. This is "the
shortwave sound," but my home ICF-2010 eliminates it when I turn on synchronous
detection; and having gotten spoiled that way, I find listening without it
tiring. On the other hand, Keith Carcasole VA3DRS of Shortwaveradio.com (from
whom I bought the radio, and whose service was excellent by the way) writes
that, "Synchronous detection...may actually be detrimental in a vehicle. When
sync is lost which may happen frequently when on the move, the radio may hunt
for sync and this could be both annoying and distracting." This is some comfort.
Still, I'd like to have the choice.

James Boyk

James Boyk June 16th 04 12:12 AM

Maybe I should have said "a cycling of a phasey quality to the audio." I don't
know how to describe the sound.

James Boyk

Tom2000 June 16th 04 09:39 AM

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:12:47 -0700, James Boyk
wrote:

Maybe I should have said "a cycling of a phasey quality to the audio." I don't
know how to describe the sound.

James Boyk

I think you're describing "selective fading." And you actually
described it pretty well. I might steal your description, in fact!

Very 73,

Tom