RadioBanter

-   -   Technical question: Panasonic RF3100 receiver (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/43847-re-technical-question-panasonic-rf3100-receiver.html)

starman August 5th 04 08:59 AM

Technical question: Panasonic RF3100 receiver

Gene wrote:

Hi everone,
I have not posted to this news group before. I hope someone can help
me here or point me in the right diredtion.
I have a Panasonic RF 3100 receiver that is about 20 years old. I has
worked great and just what I needed all these years. Just today, I
turned it on and all of the short wave bands are dead. The FM and AM
broadcast band works ok. When I switch it to any of the SW bands the
LCD reads 89.305 and does not change with the dial. I really like
this receiver. Should I send it to Panasonic for repair? I have
years of repair experience on electronic equipment but since I retired
I have no equipment to trouble shoot except for a VOM. Perhaps someone
can tell me where to tap. I also have the service manual.
Thank you.
Gene K8JQZ

Check the bandswitch first. It may need to be cleaned. Otherwise you'll
have to find out why the SW oscillator has quit. 89.305-Mhz is a preset
frequency for the display. Since it doesn't change in SW mode, it
indicates that the display/counter is not getting any signal from the SW
oscillator. The RF-3100 is a semi-synthesized receiver. It uses a PLL to
generate each MHZ range and the tuning capacitor (knob) controls another
oscillator which tunes each MHZ block.

I doubt if Panasonic will work on your RF-3100. There haven't been any
mechanical parts available for many years and the IC's may be almost
impossible to get. Hopefully it needs a common electronic part which you
can still get from many suppliers. Good luck.