Old August 21st 04, 01:12 PM
Drifter

Default hay Steve--

just got home this AM, so, kinda behind in the posts.
none of my business, but, saw your R8B on ebay? you
doing an upgrade? or did you find something better?
like i said, n.o.m.b.- but, if YOU found something
you think is a better radio, I for one would like to
know what it is. i'm looking for the final up grade
here before i retire. if i wait till after i retire,
i may not want to spend the money...
Drifter...
Old August 21st 04, 01:20 PM
dxAce

Drifter wrote:

just got home this AM, so, kinda behind in the posts.
none of my business, but, saw your R8B on ebay? you
doing an upgrade? or did you find something better?
like i said, n.o.m.b.- but, if YOU found something
you think is a better radio, I for one would like to
know what it is. i'm looking for the final up grade
here before i retire. if i wait till after i retire,
i may not want to spend the money...
Drifter...

Nothing better, I simply have 2 R8B's so I'm selling one of them.

Still will have an R7, R8 and a R8B. Though I suppose I really should
sell the R8 vs. the R8B. Something to ponder this weekend I suppose!

dxAce

Old August 21st 04, 06:43 PM
Drifter

had me worried there for a min. ya know i'm gonna
get the R8B. just gotta order it. have a good day...
Drifter...
Old August 21st 04, 11:07 PM
Telamon

In article , Drifter
wrote:

had me worried there for a min. ya know i'm gonna
get the R8B. just gotta order it. have a good day...
Drifter...

The Drake R8B is a great radio, you will love it. Be sure to hook it up
to a quality bookshelf speaker for excellent audio.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 21st 04, 11:19 PM
dxAce

Telamon wrote:

In article , Drifter
wrote:

had me worried there for a min. ya know i'm gonna
get the R8B. just gotta order it. have a good day...
Drifter...

The Drake R8B is a great radio, you will love it. Be sure to hook it up
to a quality bookshelf speaker for excellent audio.

I use the Drake MS-4 speakers here, nice 5 x 7 communication type speakers
and about 4 ohms, which matches the R8 series output impedence.

dxAce

Old August 22nd 04, 01:11 AM
Ken Wilson

dxAce wrote in message

I use the Drake MS-4 speakers here, nice 5 x 7 communication type speakers
and about 4 ohms, which matches the R8 series output impedence.

dxAce

I, like the Ace use the "communications " type of speaker here. In my case
the Icom SP-20. I have tried bunches of speakers & always come back to one
that is fairly narrow in freq response. I don't have test gear but 200 hz -
9000 hz sounds about right.

I hate boomy bassy so called "Broadcast Quality" audio that most stations
seem to want to broadcast nowadays so a high pass filter with a steep
rolloff at 300 hz is my choice.

BTW the R8B would make a fine choice . IMHO

73, Ken

Old August 22nd 04, 01:19 AM
dxAce

Ken Wilson wrote:

dxAce wrote in message

I use the Drake MS-4 speakers here, nice 5 x 7 communication type speakers
and about 4 ohms, which matches the R8 series output impedence.

dxAce

I, like the Ace use the "communications " type of speaker here. In my case
the Icom SP-20. I have tried bunches of speakers & always come back to one
that is fairly narrow in freq response. I don't have test gear but 200 hz -
9000 hz sounds about right.

I hate boomy bassy so called "Broadcast Quality" audio that most stations
seem to want to broadcast nowadays so a high pass filter with a steep
rolloff at 300 hz is my choice.

BTW the R8B would make a fine choice . IMHO

Now that I think about it, I did use a Radio Shack Minimus-7 with my R5000. It
sounded pretty good.

The Minimus-7 is a small 8 ohm, 2-way speaker in a metal case.

Still have the Minimus-7, but not the R5000. The R5000 had pretty impressive
audio as far as I was concerned, and is a decent SW receiver. I did get a better
6 kHz filter for it though, as it seemed that the stock 6 kHz filter had pretty
broad skirts.

dxAce

Old August 22nd 04, 01:35 AM
Drifter

every review i have read on the R8B suggest a better
speaker. i have looked at comp speakers. and that rather
high priced commo speaker someone posted about a while back.
i "guess" a bassey type would be better? wish i could try
a few before i buy. have to look at book shelf types...
Drifter...

BTW, Telamon, i see you also have the AOR7030+. do you
have a favorite radio???
Old August 22nd 04, 06:36 AM
Telamon

In article , Drifter
wrote:

every review i have read on the R8B suggest a better speaker. i have
looked at comp speakers. and that rather high priced commo speaker
someone posted about a while back. i "guess" a bassey type would be
better? wish i could try a few before i buy. have to look at book
shelf types... Drifter...

BTW, Telamon, i see you also have the AOR7030+. do you have a
favorite radio???

That is because the internal speaker is only OK. The radio will sound
better with an outboard speaker or headphones.

I am a program listener so I want the full range of audio the radio can
produce so I go with a full range bookshelf speaker and headphones. If
you want to chase faint DX you may want limited, response speakers that
will help you discern voice on weak signals. If you chase the faint
signals go with the headphones.

Whichever way you decide, go to an electronic store that has the
speakers in a display sound room. A selection switch in a sound display
room will allow you to compare how the different speakers sound.

I have three tabletop receivers Drake R8B, Ten-Tec RX-340, and AOR
7030+. I like them all but the all round favorite is the Drake. I wound
not sell any of them except under dire circumstances. All three sound
better with outboard speakers.

I may not be the norm but I try to get the most I can out the antenna
radio combination so I can turn up the volume. This only sounds good
with strong signals that have little background static. Most days during
normal conditions on the west coast, I can do this with the major
broadcasters. I can crank up the volume as loud as I want because they
all sound like local broadcasters. On the 340 I just open up the
bandwidth. On the Drake and AOR I swing the IF shift to one sideband to
get the high end audio. All three radios have great audio.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 22nd 04, 11:54 AM
Drifter

i'm learning here every day. have the sat800; i will
use for the major broadcasters. got 4 sets of head phones,
mostly older types. i want the Drake speaker; looks so
cool as a set. i want the R8B to chase DX. so, the head-
phones will get a workout. maybe try some new/ even cordless
and hear what i like best. i get a real kick when Ace and
the group report the rare finds. got a high freq. hearing loss,
so, phones it is. now i'm really looking forward to my retir-
ment. all the years i carried a portable to catch a-bit here
and there will be over. thanks to you all, i now have 2 good
longwires(e-w/n-s). a great radio on the way. now i just
count down the days. thanks guys...
Drifter...