Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 28th 04, 04:01 PM
John Plimmer

Default Honolulu aeradio

One of the things about DXing far distant stations I like is listening to
Honolulu aeradio.
Honolulu is 11,500 miles from this QTH and is so far away that if you keep
going you start coming back again.
As a result, sunrise/sunset coincide and you get a double whammy grayline
boost to the radio signal, the path of which lies over the disturbed Auroral
belt and the Antarctic.

In our winter you can hear Honolulu and the aircraft on 6532 Mhz USB and it
always gives me a thrill to hear this very long-distance communication at
our sunset, that is from about 1500 Zulu onwards..

Now for the uninitiated, you will hear the callsign "San Francisco", as for
some years the Oakland ATC centre with callsign "San Francisco" works the
Honolulu transmitters via satellite links. The pilots on one of their chat
groups told me all this info. Apparently a/c West of 140 degrees West will
be working the Honolulu TX's, even though the call sign is still "San
Francisco". So if you listen to these frequencies, take a careful note of
the a/c's position report and the pilot will give the latitude and
longitude - if its West of 140 degrees, then you know they are working the
Honolulu TX's.

I know the ground transmitters are 10 Kw, but I never found out what power
output a big jet like the 747-400 puts out? Anyone know?
The a/c are always more difficult to copy than the more powerful ATC ground
TX's.
Tokyo and Narita can also be heard on this frequency.
South 33 d 47 m 540 s, East 20 d 07 m 541 s.
RX Drake R8B, SW8
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop