RadioBanter

-   -   Additional Questions: De-Oxit (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/44905-additional-questions-de-oxit.html)

bpnjensen September 30th 04 06:49 PM

Additional Questions: De-Oxit

Hi, folks - regarding the DeOxit, people apparently use the
old-fashioned stuff (the D5 or D100) without too much regard for
whether it harms plastics in modern electronic equipment. Is this
true, or do folks go for the new "plastic-safe" variety?

Also, do these spray cans come with nozzle straws for precise aim?

thanks!

Bruce Jensen

dxAce September 30th 04 07:04 PM

bpnjensen wrote:

Hi, folks - regarding the DeOxit, people apparently use the
old-fashioned stuff (the D5 or D100) without too much regard for
whether it harms plastics in modern electronic equipment. Is this
true, or do folks go for the new "plastic-safe" variety?

Also, do these spray cans come with nozzle straws for precise aim?

thanks!

I've been using the Cramolin R5 De-Oxit here (now apparently D5), but I can't
give you any insight as to whether it affects plastic or not. I've never
experimented.

The 6oz. cans I have here come with nozzle straws.

I just looked at their website again, and it looks as though their products are
carried by Radio Shack... wonder if one gets a cell-phone with every can?

dxAce

Frank Dresser September 30th 04 07:50 PM

"bpnjensen" wrote in message
om...
Hi, folks - regarding the DeOxit, people apparently use the
old-fashioned stuff (the D5 or D100) without too much regard for
whether it harms plastics in modern electronic equipment. Is this
true, or do folks go for the new "plastic-safe" variety?

I think the old stuff is the plastic safe variety. It uses a naptha based
solvent. The newer quick drying deoxit probably uses a more agressive
solvent. I've never used the quick drying type.

Also, do these spray cans come with nozzle straws for precise aim?

Yes.

thanks!

Bruce Jensen

Have fun!