RadioBanter

-   -   Titanic radio message fetches $5,500 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/46268-re-titanic-radio-message-fetches-%245-500-a.html)

RadioGuy November 13th 04 11:25 PM

Titanic radio message fetches $5,500

Mike Terry wrote in message
Friday, November 12, 2004
London

A wireless message relayed to a ship rescuing survivors from the

Titanic --
and sent by Guglielmo Marconi, the creator of wireless radio -- was sold

for
almost $5,500 yesterday at a British auction house.

The Marconigram, asking for news of the 1912 disaster, was relayed from

New
York to the SS Carpathia as members of her crew plucked survivors from the
Atlantic Ocean. Transcribed in pencil, a Marconigram was transmitted by a
wireless designed by the man known as the father of radio.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../20041112/WORL
D12-5/TPInternational/TopStories

WHOA... I was ready to say that in all the accounts I have read concerning
the Titanic disaster that Guglielmo Marconi never sent or relayed a message.
He did send one---just one message!

Titanic Inquiry Project:
United States Senate Inquiry Testimony of Guglielmo Marconi - Recalled.

http://www.titanicinquiry.org/USInq/...Marconi01.html

RG