RadioBanter

-   -   Like New Drake R8 From Radio Mart (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/46311-like-new-drake-r8-radio-mart.html)

DeWayne November 16th 04 05:01 AM

Like New Drake R8 From Radio Mart

Should I?

Telamon November 16th 04 05:19 AM

In article ,
"DeWayne" wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...673&item=57317
59225&rd =1

Should I?

This would stop me if I was interested...

*** All electronics sold by Radio-Mart ARE, unless otherwise stated IN
THE AUCTION AD, are USED electronic equipment and are sold as such with
ALL SALES BEING FINAL and unless otherwise stated ³Sold As Is² with no
returns.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Lucky November 16th 04 05:38 AM

"DeWayne" wrote in message

Should I?

I saw it. I wrote him telling him we are on to his scams and will get him
booted off again.

Lucky

Mark S. Holden November 16th 04 06:20 AM

DeWayne wrote:

Should I?

If you can find the auction where he bought it, it would probably give
you a more reliable indication of it's performance and condition.

I consider the sellers reputation when deciding what I'm willing to bid.

Lately it seems $400 is a pretty good price for an R8. If I wanted it,
I'd go maybe $250 for this one.

patgkz November 16th 04 11:57 AM

If you want to know what he paid for it, check the completed auction history
of buyer: gottahaveit1995

gottahaveit1995 buys, radio-mart sells

"DeWayne" wrote in message

Should I?

Michael Lawson November 16th 04 04:07 PM

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
DeWayne wrote:

Should I?

If you can find the auction where he bought it, it would probably

give
you a more reliable indication of it's performance and condition.

I consider the sellers reputation when deciding what I'm willing to

bid.

Lately it seems $400 is a pretty good price for an R8. If I wanted

it,
I'd go maybe $250 for this one.

Okay, I know the differences between the R8/R8A/R8B, but
are the differences enough to make it worth the differences
in price used?? I've seen ~$400 for an R8, ~$650 for an R8A,
and ~$800+ for an R8B. I know that the R8 had it's flaws,
but enough for a $400 difference?? Heck, Universal has an
Icom R-71A for ~$500, and that's only $100 less than what it
was about 10 years ago on the used market.

--Mike L.

dxAce November 16th 04 04:30 PM

DeWayne wrote:

Should I?

If you can find the auction where he bought it, it would probably

give
you a more reliable indication of it's performance and condition.

I consider the sellers reputation when deciding what I'm willing to

bid.

Lately it seems $400 is a pretty good price for an R8. If I wanted

it,
I'd go maybe $250 for this one.

Okay, I know the differences between the R8/R8A/R8B, but
are the differences enough to make it worth the differences
in price used?? I've seen ~$400 for an R8, ~$650 for an R8A,
and ~$800+ for an R8B. I know that the R8 had it's flaws,
but enough for a $400 difference?? Heck, Universal has an
Icom R-71A for ~$500, and that's only $100 less than what it
was about 10 years ago on the used market.

No big surprise. The marketplace determines the price.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Steve November 16th 04 04:46 PM

"patgkz" wrote in message ...
If you want to know what he paid for it, check the completed auction history
of buyer: gottahaveit1995

gottahaveit1995 buys, radio-mart sells

"DeWayne" wrote in message

Should I?

Check this out.

gottahavit1995 buying a scanner from radiomart112

Mark S. Holden November 16th 04 04:47 PM

DeWayne wrote:

[...]

This web page has basic information about lots of radios, including all of the R8 series radios.

http://www.dxing.com/rx/rxindex.htm

The two biggest differences to me are the original R8 has the nice metal tuning knob, and the R8b has sideband selectable sync detection.

They do hold their value pretty well.

I had an original R8, and kept it for quite a while after I stopped using it because every time I'd fire it up to take a picture to sell it, I decided I just wasn't ready to get rid of it yet.

It was the first radio I had that lived up to my expectations for the hobby, and I thought it did well in terms of providing bang for the buck.

Mark S. Holden November 16th 04 05:01 PM

"DeWayne" wrote in message

Should I?

Check this out.

gottahavit1995 buying a scanner from radiomart112

That's probably a different seller - he says he's in California, and uses ebay picture hosting.

But odds are radio-mart will be selling that radio within a couple weeks.